Traveling. first time. old dog. long trip.

MellyMelandLucky

On Dec.22, the family and I will be traveling to Texas.
As I've stated before, Lucky, my 8 year old guy, is a rescue from neglect and abandonment.
I mean, this dog has missed out on so much. He's still baffled by the drive thru, and confused by longer car rides.
When we drive to Texas, we drive the full 14 hours through. We don't stop.
He'll be up in the truck with us and Bear, but does anyone have any advice for how to keep him calm and comfortable in the truck, on the longest trip he'll probably take for a while?
Note, this dog is not a puppy. He's a senior. He's a bit set in his ways. (However, contrary to popular belief, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.)

How can I show him it's okay and he's not
Being taken somewhere bad?

Also, meeting the family, he'll be meeting my family, like my 6'8" brother(who, though a sweetheart, probably seems intimidating to a little dog.), my uncle, grandparents... just a lot of people. is there anything I can do if he gets afraid of all the people? ?

I know a dog's fear when I see it in their eyes.

I know you don't plan on stopping on the way but you might want to incorporate some fun places for him. Maybe a nice park. At the very least a rest stop so he can stretch and relieve himself. I think he should be fine with your family, they're very adaptive. If you're indoors a lot, give him a walk outside. It'll give him a break and familiarize himself with his surroundings.

Also, ask your family if there is a flea problem there. You might want to apply some frontline or advantix before you go. Find out where the local vet/24 hour animal hospital is too just in case.

I know you don't plan on stopping on the way but you might want to incorporate some fun places for him. Maybe a nice park. At the very least a rest stop so he can stretch and relieve himself. I think he should be fine with your family, they're very adaptive. If you're indoors a lot, give him a walk outside. It'll give him a break and familiarize himself with his surroundings.

Also, ask your family if there is a flea problem there. You might want to apply some frontline or advantix before you go. Find out where the local vet/24 hour animal hospital is too just in case.

Well, of course we stop for breaks. Gas, dog run, food, etc. Heartworm is a thing down there and both dogs have pills. Grandparents already know people as far as vets go. The dogs will be indoors, but my grandparents live on some farm land and that's where most of the time will be spent. I'm just worried about the ride and initial meetings.

I think if he does okay on short rides he should do fine on the trip. A farm? That should be fun for Lucky. Take some pictures for me.

We just got back from a 7 hour trip, we stayed with my sister in law, both of my boys did great. Pogs is 11 1/2 and Pye is 2.

We just got back from a 7 hour trip, we stayed with my sister in law, both of my boys did great. Pogs is 11 1/2 and Pye is 2.

Wonderful! Aww, Pye's still kind of a puppy! <3

Old dogs are so sweet. Bear is 7, and Lucky is presumed to be 8 or so.

I have no doubt they'll travel well. I just don't want poor Lucky to get the wrong thought. Bear has made this trip before, and that might help, given Lucky will likely see his calm.

Back