Traveling

MellyMelandLucky

Sometime this year, I would like to travel to Houston with Lucky. Though I'm also debating traveling by car, I wonder if it may be cheaper to travel by plane, since it's just the two of us and my Trailblazer has a big tank, even if it's not a guzzler.

Here's the trouble, though... If I choose to fly, I don't want Lucky to be at risk for his life. The little dude is eleven! And I'm sure he has plenty more kisses to give before his time has come. He's been pretty healthy, the three years I've had him!
I keep reading, though about airlines that are bad for pets... Are there any that you trust with your pets?
Are there any that would let him ride with me (Probably for a fee, I know,) even though he isn't a registered service animal??

How big is Lucky? If he can fit in a pet Sherpa bag he could ride under the seat. You have to let the airline know you’re bringing a dog at the same time you book your seat. There is a fee. Some airlines will let you book him a seat. You’d have to pay for it and talk to the airline. I’m not sure how to go about that. You’d have to call.

To ship your dog freight you have to call the airline and book your dog on the same flight you’re on. They won’t fly your dog if it’s too hot or too cold. When we shipped Ki out here it cost about $300.00. It was summer so poor Robin had to get up really early in OK so that Ki could fly before it warmed up for the day. We had him shipped into San Francisco since it’s rarely hot there. Not sure which airline I would trust to ship a dog right now. Many airlines won’t ship. I sure don’t think I’d use United though.

Some airlines will let you book him a seat.
That would be the safest option to me. You can keep an eye on Lucky and make sure he's okay. I don't have any advice about which is the best airline. Delta Airlines is listed on several "pet-friendly" airline sites and look what happened to that pug. If you have a choice between flying and driving, Lucky will be safer on the ground. If you do take him flying consider the temperature on that day. I bought a SensorPush bluetooth thermometer for my car. You could use one while your traveling to keep tabs on Lucky's condition.

PS: good hearing from you again.

I was also thinking that with Delta's problems, I wouldn't choose them either, when Robin sent me Stormy, he flew Delta in the cargo and we had no problems.

If your truck is old, why not rent a car? Do your research. Car rentals in CA are more expensive usually because so many people are driving away lol, you might just save some money by renting it one way from CA then renting another to return to CA.

If you decide to rent a car and have a Costco membership, we’ve found their car rental deals are the best. Also look at non airport pick up sites. They’re usually much less.

I'm in Wyoming. I know there probably aren't any car rentals closer than Denver. Lol!

My truck is a 2005 with 194,000 miles. He's in good repair and has had good care. I'll look into driving moreso than flying, and if I choose that, I'll definitely get him a 'checkup'!

Lucky ranges 20-25 pounds. I don't know if he'd fit in a bag.

And if I fly, there's no way I'm putting him in cargo. I think he'd panic too much, being away from mama in a scary place. Also, his age concerns me, when it comes to that thought. You have to be more careful with senior dogs than you do with puppies...

I'm in Wyoming. I know there probably aren't any car rentals closer than Denver. Lol!

My truck is a 2005 with 194,000 miles. He's in good repair and has had good care. I'll look into driving moreso than flying, and if I choose that, I'll definitely get him a 'checkup'!

Lucky ranges 20-25 pounds. I don't know if he'd fit in a bag.

And if I fly, there's no way I'm putting him in cargo. I think he'd panic too much, being away from mama in a scary place. Also, his age concerns me, when it comes to that thought. You have to be more careful with senior dogs than you do with puppies...

I don't know what made me think you were in CA

I was wrong on my 2005 Trailblazer, Starshine's mileage. He's only got 119,923. Not near as bad as I thought...! Lol!

That being said, I'm considering driving, most strongly. I'll of course have Starshine and Lucky both checked up at least two weeks before hitting the road. I think it'd be the most comfortable for Lucky... Mentally best for me!

during warm weather, airlines are prohibited on flying dogs when the temp is too high. so it would limit your travel to Dallas. If you're driving, consider what will happen when you get to a rest stop or when you need to stop to eat. If its really warm, you cant leave a dog in the car.

We manage b/c I have a remote starter that runs for 10min so I run the car w/the AC on w/o a key in it. but its not a perfect solution since it only covers 10min.

Also, travel is stressful if a dog isnt used to it. something to think about. My dogs are used to being dragged up & down the east coast several times a year but I'm not sure its really all that much fun for them...

during warm weather, airlines are prohibited on flying dogs when the temp is too high. so it would limit your travel to Dallas. If you're driving, consider what will happen when you get to a rest stop or when you need to stop to eat. If its really warm, you cant leave a dog in the car.

We manage b/c I have a remote starter that runs for 10min so I run the car w/the AC on w/o a key in it. but its not a perfect solution since it only covers 10min.

Also, travel is stressful if a dog isnt used to it. something to think about. My dogs are used to being dragged up & down the east coast several times a year but I'm not sure its really all that much fun for them...

Lucky is, thankfully, used to travelling. And when we do stop, I do several things for him... I always keep ice, and will fill his bowl before I leave the vehicle. In cases where I can leave the truck on, I do so with air conditioning on and the doors locked. If I can't, I fill the bowl extra full of ice water, put on a sun shade in the windshield and lower all the windows enough that Lucky can stick his head out. Plus, my very rear windows (for the third row of seats,) are powered to open, making an angle that promotes air flow.

Even with all the preparation, I still make it as fast as I can, to get back to the truck...

And when I can, I take him in with me! I also never choose anything but a drive thru when I'm traveling with him. (Of course, he always gets a snack! 💗) When he rides in the truck, I set out all his pillows and blankets in the folded backseat, and he can also use the third row like his own moving sofa! He has toys, food, water... Starshine's all doggy decked out.

When we go, he loves to bark at the cows, woof at other dogs, sing with Mommy... For cripes sake, when I play Alice Cooper, he listens intently! (It's kind of amazing! Lol!) We keep each other entertained. Sometimes he'll pop into the front seat and sit with me, just watching the road. I'll pet him with one hand when it's safe to do so.

I’d bet that Cheyenne would have rental cars but it’s sounds as if your truck is very well maintained and would be fine to drive. If you’re going from Wyoming to Dallas it probably would be better for Lucky if you drive. It could be too hot to fly him cargo and I’ll bet the flights won’t be cheap if you have to buy two seats. I don’t think that pets get the “Wanna gets way” fares. One warning I would give is to make sure that Lucky is on a flea control medication that also kills mites. The rest stops in the West are notorious for having mites. I guess it’s from the coyotes that come around there.

I’d bet that Cheyenne would have rental cars but it’s sounds as if your truck is very well maintained and would be fine to drive. If you’re going from Wyoming to Dallas it probably would be better for Lucky if you drive. It could be too hot to fly him cargo and I’ll bet the flights won’t be cheap if you have to buy two seats. I don’t think that pets get the “Wanna gets way” fares. One warning I would give is to make sure that Lucky is on a flea control medication that also kills mites. The rest stops in the West are notorious for having mites. I guess it’s from the coyotes that come around there.

Like I've said, I'll have Starshine and Lucky both checked up on before going... I've found a route that lets me skip Dallas... Lol, this small town girl can't even ride through there without getting confused! (At least I don't turn into the hulk... *Pokes her Mom... Lol!* )

It'll be a little longer, but I'm okay with that. Especially as my destination isn't inner-city Houston. More in the Lake Conroe area.

I've already contacted the vet, who told me to make Lucky an appointment with her about two to three weeks before. And I've told the groomer he'll need a short hairstyle. Maybe have her remove his skirt but keep the ear style and the tuft on his little head. ^_^

Back