Ugh! OT but I am just so frustrated with my sister.

Max's_Mommy

2 Months With My Max Lou
Owned by
1 cocker
Ok so my sister is a revolving pet owner. She will get a cute puppy or kitten and then love it and take care of it until it starts to become a hassle and spray or tear the house apart. She has had 4 dogs in the past 5 years and even more cats she has took some of the Cats for "A Ride" and took the rest to the aspca! She is pretty good with cats until they pee every where but the Dogs she keeps crated most times and never trains them well and she lives in a nice trailer park but it is not enough room for a dog to run and play they chain them up and they wear circles into the lawn when they take them out!Then as soon as they come in its eat and crate. She never buys them from a reputable Breeder or shelter so who know what they have gone through in there short life's and they always end up having huge emotional and behavior problems! So she had a beagle that she got at 8 weeks and had for almost 2 years and I am sure she came from a puppy farm because my sister and I just talked about where she got her from for the first time after I got Max and she said these dogs were in a chicken cope 3 feet off the ground so they didn't have to walk in their own poop Hello Red Flag why the heck would these dogs be hanging 3 feet in the air in a wire coop with nothing to protect their poor feet??!! She was adamant that it was not a puppy mill but it sounded like a backyard breeder to me.? None of her dogs have came with papers and she has payed between $75 and $200 for them which it is ok that they don't come with papers but they don't know when these dogs were born they have no info on shots or health or how to care for them and I just think it is crazy! I guess This is more of a rant then asking for advice Sorry!

Any way she got rid of the beagle( like 2 days ago) and the same day got a LAB puppy!! Not smart for where she lives at all! She still got no med records the man said she is purebred with no papers because he would have to ad 300 dollars to the price if he would have registered them the man said she had shots but no proof and my sister paid $200 for her. She is 9 weeks old and My sister has enrolled her in puppy class so maybe this one will go better then the last ones but I am getting sick of having to get use to her having new animals all the time and do not know how to go about telling her what she is doing is not right and not good for her children? She has a springer that was 2 and had only been groomed once at 8 weeks and then never again until a year and a half and she wondered why Daisy attacked the groomer!? She has had 2 dogs put down for biting issues and thinks its ok to get another when she dose nothing to solve these problems!

How can you go through so many pets and not realize you have a problem? I am just so sick with this all! I have had 2 dogs in my adult life Max and then Kody Who we had for just over 2 years he was a lab rotte Mix who was such a good Dog until we had no choice(we thought) but to make him a yard dog and the kids next door would kick things at him and mock him. He was such a sweet boy always stayed in the yard unleashed or out of the fence heeled well obeyed me very well he was so good it wasn't like he was out in the yard( I know not ideal to have a yard dog but we were so young and didn't know that if we had him trained Right he would have been ok in the house even though he was SO BIG!) and not token care of he was just out side our window and he was bathed and groomed when needed and never went with out what he needed the kids and I were always out to play with him and we loved him but one day we went out and he was so possessive and we went to give him a treat and he bit my son Bryan then we thought it was just a bad day and we went to give him treats like the next day and he bite again and drew blood and that was it I then saw the kids teasing him and could not have him being treated that way any more it wasn't right he was to good of a dog to be hurt that way but I could not bring him in the house because he was just to much to handle so I gave him back to his owner we got him from he had no kids and no neighbors to hurt him. That was one of the hardest days of my life watching him go and seeing the look on his face. I miss his so so much and could never think of doing that to my family over and over and over again.We didn't get another dog for 2 years and now we have Max. We are trying to make sure we do every thing right so Max and our family have the best life together. We love him like our son and could never think of just giving him away or dropping him off some where.

Sorry this is so so Long I am just so sad for my sisters pets and her children. It was a big step for us to get another dog and we had to talk about it and research what would be best for us and our new family member how can you just throw one away and get a new one the next day??I don't know maybe some one has so insight on revolving pets and what to say to people? Thank you for taking the time to read this book of a post I wrote! *sigh*

Lead by example and let your sister learn from you. Perhaps get her a book on the care of her newest dog. My youngest had a bad habit of doing the same...out with the old and in with the new just because she wanted a puppy. You can't tell someone else what to do but by showing her what responsible pet ownership is you may change her behavior. Maybe if she got into activities with the pooch she would become more bonded and less likely to abandon on a whim or a desire for the cute little puppy. I have learned a lot about the pain and suffering (bouncing from home to home is very stressful) these critters go thru by volunteering with rescue...maybe she could learn some too! Both of you could attend functions like Bark in the Park with your animals. It's free and there's tons of stuff to see and to do. Bonus - they have all sorts of free samples and goodies to take home!

A Pet's Request

1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.

4. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment, but I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet, I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.

9. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too, will grow old.

10. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch.
Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.

Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them.
Life would be a much duller, less joyful experience without God's critters

I'm with Sharon. Your sister needs education on caring for pets. See if you can provide her some gentle suggestions on dealing with her problems. I think she's on the right track if she's attempting obedience classes.

Sharon, I think those are the original 10 promises.

Thank you Sharon! My sister is already having problems with the breeder! He told her Brookie (Yellow Lab) had shots but "his wife" Lost the proof so he said he would drop it off and never did and the name of the "vet"he uses is not in the phone book and he has suddenly stopped taking her calls! I love the suggestions of things to do together and will look into what we have around here. We only have one dog park and it is a dog beach so it is not ideal for the winter! We are going to go to puppy training together I decide to sign up for the same class so our pups could go through and be socialized together! I think if I am there she will be more willing to stick with it! I am unimpressed that she picked her vet because they are "cheap" but at lest she is taking her!I really didn't want to take max to petsmart training but I know I will not get her to go any where else so I am going to grin and bare it and home it is ok if not at lest Max got to hang out with other dogs right? I can get him into the awesome training club this summer when they have the beginners class I am going to ask Susan to come with to may fest because the training team is there with the agility course and it is so cool! I hope I have a well behaved dog then he is so young I can not tell what he will be like at 6 months!You all are so nice thanks so much for the help ! It is real nice to have great people to talk to when you are new to something!

Oh BTW just a fun fact Brookie is a month younger and 2 times heavier then Max!!

Last edited:
Melissa
Keep trying to educate your sister. And give her a copy of Sharon's post.

Thanks Polly I did and she liked it and said they are going to try hard to make sure she is properly trained and not crated all the the time so she can have the best life and I do believe she wants to change it all.She has never licensed a dog but she will license Brook so i am happy about that. I saw Brook for the first time yesterday and she is beautiful! She is a month younger and twice as big as Max! He would only go near her unless he was on the couch in moms lap and then he was so mouthy and I had never heard him bark before! He would play with her but as soon as she would touch me he would get possessive and not want her near me!I had to Calm him and tell him to stop!! We went to puppy training and as I thought it is not very informative (I already know all the stuff she is teaching) but there are some really good puppy's in the class and Max really should his need to be socialized well we where there. He was the smallest puppy there yet one of the oldest he was so so scared he like shut down and hide most of the time and when I brought him out he would just lie there and do Nothing then try to hide again. He was asleep the whole class even though there were barking puppy's all around him and he didst even want to play I think he was in true shut down so he could coup with all the new stuff at once he was on a leash (never has been) around bigger louder dogs, In a new place and around so many new people! He didn't want any thing to do with there toys or water he only wanted to be around things that smelled of home. It was good to go with my sister though and I had a lot of fun with the other puppy's I had a beautiful sheep dog on the side of me and the people next to them had a little boy who throw a toy right at his head and then they didn't even notice that there child had just hit him! You could see the confusing and hurt in his eyes and in his owners but she didn't say any thing because he was just a little boy. So I took is face and scratched under his chin and said poor baby did that hurt and he came and sat his head on my shoulder and licked me and his owner looked grateful that some one would care so much! It was a good day and I hope the other ones are just as good. She told me he shouldn't sleep with me any more and should use his kennel so I don't know what I will do about that yet because I love to sleep with my baby!!We had fun!

I wish Hoshi was a calm as your Max. Hoshi has a on track mind. It's all about treats for him.

Max really loves his toys he will work hard to get me to throw him one and he is a very good boy. He just found a liking for treats but really he never asks o expects them from me unless he smells them close. I am shocked by how easy and fast he learns. I already have taught him to sit and wait for me to open the door to go in the house and I never had to give him a treat. I love him so he is my little boy and I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world!

Back