Unusually excessive drinking and urination in 5 mo. English Cocker pup

Bobedo

Hello everyone,

This is our first post as new owners of a wonderful male English Cocker. Unfortunately, we had to take him to the vet a week ago as he had started coughing heavily. The vet initially thought it was a fever / swollen glands / or that he might have simply swallowed something that was irritating his throat. He gave him a shot of Synulox which *seemed* to trigger the excessive drinking and urination (started that same night). A day or two later, we went back to the vet as the coughing was worse and he had started vomiting (as a result of the antibiotic? we don't know), and they kept him in on a drip for two nights as they determined using an x-ray that he could have lungworms which was causing pneumonia (!!!). He's now home and on a de-worming treatment and a new antibiotic ( milbemax), but he is still peeing and drinking heavily - with a few accidents in the house - and is sleeping quite a bit. The big thing we're worried about is "familial nephropathy" which apparently can be fatal - although the vet did do a blood test (did they look for it??). Or is this simply the result of the antibiotics - but we don't see urination among the side-effects? Any shared experience or advice would be greatly appreciated. Did their peeing habit return to normal after a few days? He's a great little pup, and it's sad to see him like this.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but haven't found a search function. (Update: I found it, but nothing on urination yet)

Last edited:
I haven't heard of antibiotics causing those symptoms. He may be been dehydrated from illness and began drinking more when he felt better. I would wait until his illness resolves as this may be part of it.

Bobedo, I hope your boy gets better soon. I'm not familiar w/either lung worms or familiar nephropathy. Could you give more info on it?

Hi Dizzy, lung worm is a condition that seems to be quite prevalent in Europe (for some reason) which is where we currently live. It's a parasite that dogs can get through eating faeces, snails, slugs etc. I'm not sure it's in North America. Familial Nephropathy was simply something I saw on the internet - but which resonated for all the symptoms (Cocker Spaniel - Familial nephropathy - UFAW). Hopefully, things will improve in the coming days. As you say, Manuel, perhaps it's the result of dehydration as they did have to put him on a drip for two days. Thanks both.

Sorry for the delay approving your message and thanks for the explanation.

It could be also that your puppy is peeing eexcessively because of all the fluid from the drip. I hope he’s feeling better soon.

Back