Urgent help needed please

angief

Owned by
2 cockers
I am so very upset.

I have a 21 month old cocker bitch who we think may be pregnant. She has just turned on my daughter tonight and bit her lip

I have no idea what to do I am very worried.

My husband has taken my daughter to A&E to be checked over while I have been left to make the fate of Lady.

She has bit a little girl last year, we thought this was because we were due to move and the little girl's dog had just had pups and Lady was coming out of a phantom pregnancy and the little girl was a stranger in our house.

But now she has actually went for my daughter I am very worried. Regan (my daughter) is 9 and I also have a 6 year old and I really can't have this happen in my house as I have their friends in.

What do I do?

PLEASE HELP

Number one - do you know if she is pregnant or not? If not, you may want to see a vet and find out.

Number two - do you have any friends at all that might be willing to take your dog while you figure out what to do? Just to get her away from the kids, and to eliminate the chance of another bite? If she has bitten kids twice, I would say that she NEEDS to be in a home away from kids, and she needs to be spayed after her puppies come, so she doesn't pass on a questionable temperament to them.

Not a ton of rescues will take a dog that's bitten, because it's a huge liability. If you do decide to keep the dog, then you NEED to find a good canine behaviorist that can help you work through her issues so that she can live normally in your house without being a threat to the kids.

So sorry for your tough situation :(

Thank you so much for your advice. I have her booked in with the vet next week to see if she is pregnant.

My daughter is ok, she was given antibiotics due to the bacteria from dogs (thats what they said).

Lady has been very quiet today as if she knows she has done something wrong. We have all had a chat about it within the family and my daughter is adamant that we are not to rehome her even though my parents said they would take her.

So it looks like she is staying although I do feel a little bitter towards her which I know I shouldn't. It's just she is usually so timid and shy not aggressive in any way.

I didn't realise she was too young to be pregnant or I would never have allowed it to happen but if she is then after this they will both be 'sorted' out.

Thanks again for the comments

Angela

I'vwe heard of dogs getting protective while pregnant. Not sure if this is true or not. It might just be one reason why she has done this. I hope things work out for you.

Back