Vomiting

KLADCkrs

Owned by
3 cockers
For the last six days or so, Jack Jack has been vomiting. It's never when I'm around - it's either during the day when I'm at work or at night when he's in the crate with Grace (they have a HUGE crate - Great Dane sized). It's not bile, it's the contents of his stomach. He's eating fine, drinking fine and pottying fine. He's had a touch of diarrhea from time to time, but he has a sensitive stomach, so he often has soft stool for no apparent reason.

He doesn't seem sick, so I don't want to cart him off to the vet . . . he's happy, playing, wagging, etc. Interested in treats and training and all the normal stuff. But he's throwing up and he stinks . . . I bathed him Wednesday, last night and will end up having to do it again soon if this keeps up.

Any ideas? Experience?

Poor Jack, lets see...I don't think that any of my thoughts are ones that you have not thought of but here goes. Same food as usual and for all three? New snacks? Does Jack play with a toy that the other two do not? Does he lick carpets (fibers in throat?) Does he eat grass? Do you have any new house plants? Has Jack ever had problems with pancreitis?

Hope you get to the source of Jack's discomfort.

I would try cooking for him for a week to see if the vomiting stops. As for the baths, sorry, maybe you can put him in a coat or suit or snood or bib or something.

When one of mine is puking, I usually add more probiotics or give oatmeal baby food slop.

Poor Jack Jack and poor you Kelly. I would add probiotics just like Linny says. My Pogo has a sensitive tummy also, and is a pig! He will climb anything and anywhere to get to food. If Grace and Farley, but especially Grace since they sleep together hasn't come down with it, it's probably not a virus I would think.
Good luck Kelly. I guess I would take to the vet if it doesn't clear up soon.

He's already on ProZyme . . . he's been on that for several months now. I'll have to switch him to some bland food to figure out what it is.

Kelly does he smell because he is getting his vomit on him or has he developed a weird smell to him?

Just went thru this with Mozie and Merlin. Ok - Mozie wasn't vomiting but Merlin did. Different ends. I don't like doing the pepto immediately cause sometimes whatever's going on is better out than in but I do get concerned if it goes on more than 2 - 3 days. Both my guys seem ok now and it seems to have skipped Monte (thank you Lord). I hope your baby gets over it really soon.

If everything else is okay maybe he's getting too large a morning meal. How about changing his portions around so the morning meals isn't so heavy?

I would Manuel, but most of the time he doesn't finish his morning meal. And sometimes he vomits at night, not through the day. I just know it's not when I'm right there.

And Dot, he stinks because he's throwing up on himself . . . with the long coat, it goes on his ears and chest.

I would Manuel, but most of the time he doesn't finish his morning meal. And sometimes he vomits at night, not through the day. I just know it's not when I'm right there.

Maybe it's separation anxiety.

I think it might be the new yogurt my dad bought . . . it's the only thing that's different as far as I know. He doesn't tend to pick stuff up off the ground . . . and he's not a poop eater. I'm hoping it's just the yogurt. No puke through the day today . . . and I didn't feed yogurt last night.

What kind of sweetner is in the new yogurt? Some artifical sweeteners are bad for dogs. He has had yogurt before right, if not could he be having lactose issues?

I'm sorry to hear Jack Jack has been vomiting. I hope you have it figured out with the yogurt. Poor baby.

It's a natural yogurt, no sweetener. He's been getting yogurt on his meals for months - all of the dogs do. He's never had issues before. Anyhow, he threw up last night, despite not getting yogurt, so it's not that. I'm going to home cook for a few days and see if that helps.

Did you try the tylan powder?

I just give regular non-fat plain yogurt or cottage cheese.

Stick something in the crock pot overnight or while at work and it'll be a nice batch of food all ready to go.

Kelly
Since it might be the yogurt, why not try some probioitcs capsules. Want me to send you some?

No throwing up through the day, so that's good. Tomorrow I'll call the company and ask about a formula change, in case that's the culprit. I double checked his yogurt, and it's organic and all natural, so it shouldn't be that, unless it's the probiotic aspect that's causing issues. He's still as happy as ever, and he ate his supper faster than the other two tonight, which is totally unusual for him.

So, no throwing up through the day yesterday OR through the night last night. That's the longest non-vomit time since last week, so it's a good sign. Hopefully this was some kind of bug, and he's over it now. Thanks for your ideas and suggestions everybody!

Back