Weird breathing at night/sleeping??

Barbara

Owned by
1 cocker
Hey guys,

I've been noticing some strange breathing some nights with Mickey. It's not an every night kind of thing but usually at least once a week or two. It only happens while he's sleeping/napping and it's kind of a really strong hiccuppy sound--like he's gasping for air, but he's completely asleep. I'm not terribly sure how long it repeats because I just wake him up. The he looks at me like I'm crazy for waking him up in the middle of the night. He'll go back to sleep and sometimes do it again or he'll just be fine the next day. We thought it may be a people food thing so we stopped giving him people food entirely after the holidays because it seemed to really hit then and seemed to lessen after that but he's done it again since then and he did it again last night. It terrifies me so bad because I don't know what it is and I don't know if he's dying or what. It's also in the middle of the night so it's hard for me to be of complete sound mind. If it stops before I wake him up, I can't tell if he's actually breathing or not. It's the first time I've posted about it because it's normally at night and I forget about it by the time we wake up. He may just be doggy dreaming but it seems more serious than that. Has anyone else had this kind of problem?
Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much. He's probably dreaming. Their breathing gets erratic in that stage. Hoshi and Gabby would cry out sometimes. I'm sure if you wake him his breathing goes back to normal. Just pass it along to your vet on your next visit.

I agree. Coco does the same thing. If you let him sleep, you will see his paws start to move and such. If your VERY worried, like Manuel said, let your vet know.

Make it three votes for normal. My dog will snore super loudly, shake, and make other funny sounds while she sleeps. It's probably nothing to worry about, but asking your vet next time you see him or her might give you peace of mind.

Back