What age is it best to spay?

Bella Rose

Owned by
2 cockers
I've been hearing different thoughts about when it's best to spay a puppy.
Before or after their first season?
Or at what age?

I was waiting until Bella was 5 months, but am now wondering if I should give her a bit more growing time.

Same with males? Can barely make out Casey's little balls but Dr said they could find them. Think I might have semi insulted her - LOL.

I have never had to make this decision because most of my dogs are direct pound adoptions. The exception is Stormy and he's still fully equipped. He shows them to us every day LOL.

Most of the information I have found regarding cancers is to spay prior to first heat.
However there is also info out that states early spaying can cause incontinence as well as bone density and ACL problems.
I do know hormones are an important part of growth, but is this more an issue with larger breeds?

sigh so confusing

We've never had a spay cause incontinence. I care about growth plates and the fact that it's easier on them at 6 months old. I know there's so much to read and learn, but most vets like this age too.

I am wondering if when they talk about 'early spay' it means the 8-12wks that is being done more commonly in shelters??

We had urinary incontinence result from a spay. I believe the dog was older than a year. Very unfortunate. This Shar Pei had been suffering on constant bladder infections prior to that.

hmmm, my vet wants to do her at 5 months because she wants to make sure it is before her first heat.
I have never encountered this before, Missy wasn't spayed.

I cannot believe how many things I am worrying over and second guessing myself on about Bella puppy.

all of our girls have been spayed just around the 6 month mark. zprior to first heat. But my sisters doxi came into heat at 5 months so she had to wait until the heat was over and I think had it done at 7 or 8 months. Pounds/shelters have it done very early....I think mostly to be sure that they are done.

Back