What does your cocker spaniel do most of the day?

NAA2586

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi everyone,

I just registered for the forum today so thanks for having me. I have a cocker spaniel named Daisy; she'll be two years old next month. We adopted her when she was six months old from what, in retrospect, was probably a puppy mill.

She definitely came with her fair share of socialization issues. Mostly she's pretty shy (especially around dogs...she doesn't like for any dog to sniff her butt) and is often real excited around people. We've been working with her as best we can and she's improved.

I was wondering what your cockers do most of the day? Daisy spends most of her time looking out a door or window, waiting for people to come home it seems. She gets plenty of exercise so she sleeps alot too, but when she's awake she's in watch/wait mode. She is my first cocker, does this sound typical? If not or if it sounds like a behavioral issue, any advice?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

-Nick

Sounds like you're off to a great start as far as exercising her. I think some obedience classes will help socialize her. Take her out as often as you can so she can met people and other dogs. I'm sure it will be a gradual process but you'll make progress with a little work. Check out Dumb Friends League for helpful tips: http://www.ddfl.org/

BTW, it's too late but I don't recommend usernames looking like serial numbers. I would have banned you thinking it was spam.

Hi Nick, I'm Polly, and I live with hubby Mike and our 4 cockers. We have 3 rescues and one retired show boy. I agree with Manuel, sounds like you are well on your way. I have had several troubled pups in my lifetime. It takes love, discipline, and a set schedule. The classes are wonderful, they teach you how to interact with your dog. I know Linny, Robin and Kel will have lots of other pointers for you. Welcome!

Hi and welcome to the forum. I have a two yr old as well. We got him when he was 8 weeks. He does the same watch and wait thing. Even if we have played or walked him. He just likes to sit at the window and watch people walk by or come to the door. He goes crazy if anyone comes to the door. Waggin tail, barking, letting us know, someone is here. Like the door bell isn't enough hahaha. Coco sleeps a lot too just like yours so, I wouldn't be too worried. As long as your pup is getting lots of excersise, just think, at least you have a good watch dog. Your pup will know everyone who walks up and down the street.

Hi Nick,

Welcome to MCS and you will love it here. Thank you for taking in a beautiful cocker who can live a wonderful life to the fullest. It is normal for dogs to look out the windows or doors all day long. My dogs do that. I have 1 cocker Gizmo and a German shepard/Golden retriever mix Samantha and they do that all the time. We kinda have to train Gizmo not to bark at every human being or every animal that walks by.

I had a puppy mill girl Molli and she did not like having her butt sniffed too. She had fear issues that we had to work on to help her through it. It took one day at a time. We would pull objects out purposely so she can get used to it. She did not know toys, leashes or anything. It was a sad thing. We got her July of 2009 and lost her a year later from liver disease. It was devastating for me to loose her because I took care of her, made her overcome her fear and learn how to play with toys, fattened her up. You can read her story in the Main Forum section called Molli's Story.

I would just keep working with her, take her for walks short distance on the side walks if she has some fear with cars, if not go for it. I hope to see some pretty pictures of your lil girl.

Thanks for the response everybody. Daisy is steadily improving. You guys are all correct; dedication and love is working. I'll post pictures soon.

Sorry for the delay just approved your posts. She's very cute. Looks like a buff parti.

Last edited:
Your Daisy most likely is a hidden Merle with the blue eye. Do u know if her mom or dad was one?(one of them would have to be to carry the Merle gene)

That sounds interesting. I have no idea what a hidden Merle is. Unfortunately we do not know anything about her mom or dad. I'd love to hear more information though.

Your Daisy most likely is a hidden Merle with the blue eye. Do u know if her mom or dad was one?(one of them would have to be to carry the Merle gene)

It means you can't really tell with the naked eye from her coat color but her blue eye gives it away. I swear in one of the pictures I saw shadows of red in the silver which gives a mottling effect. One of the pups in my Rescue Minnie's litter is one. His eyes just opened though so his eyes won't change if they do for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So good to meet you! I have a two year old black and white cocker named Mickey, and we hope to get a Minnie sometime after I graduate. Mickey has a doggy door into the back yard so he may go outside occasionally if the neighbors dogs are outside just to bark at them, otherwise I'm pretty sure he stays inside waiting and watching too. He also knows when we come home just by listening because we honk the horn to let him know we're there! We just love that wagging little tail waiting on us as we come home!

Lol that's great. Thanks for the response Barbara.

So good to meet you! I have a two year old black and white cocker named Mickey, and we hope to get a Minnie sometime after I graduate. Mickey has a doggy door into the back yard so he may go outside occasionally if the neighbors dogs are outside just to bark at them, otherwise I'm pretty sure he stays inside waiting and watching too. He also knows when we come home just by listening because we honk the horn to let him know we're there! We just love that wagging little tail waiting on us as we come home!

Back