rescue What is involved...?

member 23

Owned by
1 cocker
What all is involved in fostering rescues? I'm just curious, as I know many of you do that. ^_^

Depends on the rescue you foster for. I know that is a non answer but I have never fostered - well Charley was gonna be a foster but he's here to stay. :)

Some rescue's take care of all medical costs - you would provide the transportation to/from the vet. Some rescue's you foster for give you the dog as a "foster" and you provide everything - including medical, dental etc.

I know others in rescue that have fostered will give you a better answer than what I have provided but to me the medical costs are important as they can grow rather rapidly.

I am a failure at rescue Ashlee. I was part of the Southern California branch of Cockers in Need. I kept every dog I rescued and fostered LOL.. my local animal control let me slide, but told me to quit watching the pound websites. Since then I lost 3, and I'm only over my limit by one, Tunie. But, I live in a rural area of Los Angeles County that is under the jurisdiction of The Federal Govt and they are sticklers. I'm okay with Tunie because she is blind and mostly deaf so she doesn't go out and bark like my boys.

Most rescues would have potintial fosters fill out an app and have a home inspection just like a adoptive parent would I think... Linny and Robin can answer your questions much better than I.

I'm a foster failure too. What was supposed to happen is I supply the food, etc and I could take the foster to the vet the rescue uses and get their 10% discount. Their vet is too far away and, although I was promised help with eye meds and such, it didn't work out that way. Also supposed to attend the adoption events with the foster pooch in tow but all my fosters were too old to go thru that. Except for Monte and he was nuttin but mine from the beginning and I eventually paid for him. I think it's a rewarding experience but only if you're hooked up with the right rescue. I wasn't.

Back