rescue What is the Color of Love?

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
I read a story today on google about a recycling drive for a cocker charity, Cocker Spaniel Resources. I checked out their site and came across a "happy ending" for a black cocker named Charles. Charles has a very special family. Not many people would adopt a deaf and blind cocker. I never knew black dogs have a tough time being adopted:

What is the Color of Love?
Author: Jan DeCraene
http://www.cockerspanielresources.org

"Black dogs don’t get adopted," thus black dog rescues exist, which specialize in caring for black dogs. We had not one, but 3 black cocker spaniels, which came into our rescue this autumn and each has found its perfect fur-ever home. Not so unusual you might say, but the reality is all three of these black cocker spaniels are blind and Charles is both blind and deaf.

Charles, larger black cocker spaniel, spent a few months in a shelter after he was found wandering the streets in a small west central town in Wisconsin. He was black, blind, deaf, and covered with skin infections.

He lay in the kennel not knowing which way he was facing and no one even slightly considered him for adoption. He became so depressed in his kennel that he would cry and whine for some reassurance that he wasn’t alone. The staff would walk him outdoors so he could lie in the sun. He enjoyed the sun’s warmth on his body. Uncertain where he was and why he was there, depression set in severely with Charles. He began to cry and whine constantly.

Cocker Spaniel Resources, a cocker rescue, was contacted about taking him. As soon as his picture went up on the website one of the foster families inquired about caring for Charles. He required daily baths with prescription shampoo, his ears needed cleaning daily and so did his eyes.

He was taken to a veterinary hospital, where he had his left eye removed to eliminate the pain he was enduring. Laura, Charles’ new foster Mom, thought of ways to help Charles find is way around in their home. She put different potpourri scents in different rooms in the house. Charles always knows where he is now and has stopped being fearful of being alone.

Tom, Charles’ foster Dad, jogs with Charles when the weather is appropriate for him to go jogging. Anyone driving past on the street would never realize that Charles is blind and deaf as he jogs along with his new master.

Charles is extremely happy with his two cocker spaniel brothers and his home where he knows he is safe. He still loves to lie in the sun, but no more whining and crying for Charles.

Black, blind and deaf dogs can find perfect homes; Charles is living proof.

Attachments

• charles.jpg
    charles.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 42
:::Wiping away tears::: That is a beautiful story and I'm so glad it has a happy ending. I did know black dogs have a harder time being adopted. There was a story about that about three or four years ago in "Bark" magazine. I still don't understand why people wouldn't want a black dog. When my ds, Kenneth, chose Knute he purposely chose a dog who would be a big black dog. Those dogs are the very least adoptable as a rule. It's so strange because everyone who meets Knute falls in love with him and yet he would have been one of the last dogs chosen in a shelter.

Karen I have heard this over and over, and I still don't understand it. Look at all the very beautiful black cockers! My Pepper has a wonderful coat (usually) The black dogs usually are so shiny.

Thank you for sharing such a great story! I love black cockers. The closest thing I had to an all black was Victoria, no relation to Vicki. She was tri colored, but I would love to get an all black one someday. I am missing having two dogs!

great story!!!

but mostly, it's the black labs and mutts that are the #1 largest group that are homeless or up for adoption.

Labs have always been a high number for some odd reason. We have a black poodle here for adoption.. he's so cute & only a few people have shown interest.

Ok I am a bit miffed about this one breeder not far from me.
Had no reason to suspect her of being a Puppy mill till now.
My friend Jerry bought Abby from her. Abby is Tabbys mom.
Well Jerry started volentering to groom dogs for the local rescue group.
Come to find out this breeder has just turned over 3 yorkies because she could not sell them. An she has an all black male cocker that is three months old.
She offered to sell me the pup with out any of the paper work to get him akc for 50. I wish I could have swung it but One pup is all I can afford right now.
He was really cute.
She said IF I did not take him soon then she would just turn him over to the rescue place.
:$%&#!:
All she cares about is money.
I did go look at the pup in hopes she would just give him to me.
I even had Tabby with me.
An she could see tabby was a happy pup.
But no.
So I bet now he is at the rescue.
If any one would want to get the pup let me know an I will call her an see if she still has him.
I hope he finds a good home.
An I wish she would stop breading.
An the thing is, She breeds what she thinks people want. Does not care about the dogs at all. An does not try to better the breeds at all.
Ok rant over

I need to know something. What is so bad about rescue? I'm a rescue org. At least she is not putting the dogs down. Hey, next time she needs to send them someplace, give me a call, I would have no trouble giving someone 50 bucks to get the dog out of there

Dave
Rescues are the life and bone to most breeds. I only own cockers, and I know how much they (Rescues like Cockers In Need that Linny is president of) do for any cocker that needs a home, help, surgery, or anything else.

If you don't know anything about rescues, we would be more than happy to help you learn.

If that pup is still available, I bet this forum would raise the $50.00 and get it into rescue.. Just let us know.

I know a little about the rescue. They are a great bunch of people. An my friend Jerry is now grooming for them. She grooms the dogs that need it.
The other week I helped her groom a male Spaniel. He was so matted I felt so sorry for him we had to shave him down. Took over three hours while I was there. An did not even get done. Had to put a muzzle on him to do his feet they were that bad.
Im just mad at the breeder is all. I know that if the pup goes to the rescue he will get to a foster home an be taken care of. Well I hope at least.
Its just that the breeder brings these pups into the world an only cares about how much money she can make.
An when she is unable to sell all of the pups she does not care an just says here these are you problem now you find them a home.
I am thank full for the rescue group in my area.
I think I will call her tomorrow an see what is going on.

Hey foster mom
If I had your phone I would give you a call.
The breeder I am talking about is now breeding cockapoos.
I plan on calling the lady tomorrow or on Thursday.
Depends on how work goes. Dont want to be in a bad mood to begin with.
I am a very simple guy an I live by the golden rule. So when I see people that are stuck up an dont have compasion it rubs me the wrong way.

Tabby is my first cocker. My first dog in my life was buddy. He was a beagle. He was with us for 13 years. The hardest thing I did was send him to the lord.
He was a part of my family then as tabby is now.

I gues the breeder just rubs me the wrong way.
sorry for ranting.
an sorry for side tracking the post.
I guess I have a buesy day on thursday.
Need to call the breeder an check on the pup an need to go visit Buddy.
I miss him. I laid him to rest in the woods at granmas. Even have a nice white cross to mark his grave........
Look at me rambling. lol
SOrry

I don't believe in breeding them, BUT I love cockapoo's and we have taken in several here -- from puppy mills and even an owner surrender

Polly said:
If that pup is still available, I bet this forum would raise the $50.00 and get it into rescue.. Just let us know.
That is do-able. Let us know where the closest rescue is.

I would absolutely be willing to donate in order to get this pup into a good rescue if that's needed.

Well The breeder does not have the pups any more.
The breeder turned them over to A rescue out of state.
I hope they all find loving homes.

as long as they are with a nice decent rescue org, the pups are safe and being well taken care of.

Back