What is with my dogs???

DJ's Three

Owned by
1 cocker
First Maggie and then pour little Zoe'. Maggie gets to see a dermotologist tomorrow to see if we can get some of her new skin issues cleared up, her eyes are so much better but the skin continues to defie treatment. I know that it has only been two weeks on the meds but it has flaired up around where the cone sits and so they want her to see a dermo.

And now my little Zoe' has a horrible infection in her right ear. Was diagnoised last week with slight ear issues in both ears and the left one is cleared up nicely but her right one is nastier? There is alot of inflamation and swelling in her right one, flaired up horrible over the weekend even with meds. He is speculating that it is so swollen that the meds are not getting down where they are needed. He placed some DMSO way deep with a thin tube to help releive the swelling and gave her a shot. He is not her favorite person right now. She has to see him again first thing Wednesday morning.

Say a little prayer for her.

Man DJ, your dogs are having a rough end to their summer :(. I feel bad for the two that are having issues. The ear thing just sounds unpleasant, and poor Maggie just can't seem to shake this skin crud. Poor girlie!

ALOT of dogs in my area are having major allergy issues this year. My vet is saying it's the worst she can remember.
Hope your girlies get over their issues soon and they stay away. Give them smooches from us. :*

The dermatologist sent me a packet to fill out, when this started, what treatment she has received, what foods Maggie eats. Main meals, treats...I am going to have to have to fess up that I give Maggie a gummy bear once in a while...cringing. Yikes Bailie's, gummy bears, the occational bites from my plate.....I am such a bad mommy.

Man DJ, your dogs are having a rough end to their summer :(. I feel bad for the two that are having issues. The ear thing just sounds unpleasant, and poor Maggie just can't seem to shake this skin crud. Poor girlie!

I know, my poor girlies. At least Maggie is pretty much pain free, just itchy. You can tell that Zoe's little ear hurts, she does not want to eat, I have been handfeeding her boiled chicken.

I came home from the vets and told Hannah that she is not to join them in their quest to bankrupt me!!! I would much rather being spenting my money on treats, collars & leashes or toys for them.

LOL--- yeah right!
It may be that red dye in those red gummies!

My daughter gives me such a hard time, her boy is not allowed to have anything but dog treats.....I told her I only give them the heads off the gummy bears.

Sending prayers from Michigan. I've wondered if there is something in our house causing allergies? I don't remember Gabby really having problems till we moved here. Hoshi scratches all the time too. I'd like to get rid of all our rugs.

(((DJ))) I hope Maggie and Zoe clear up quickly. I know how you feel about food. When Dylan was on the allergy food trial, we couldn't give the boys toast corners. Neither Keith nor I ate any toast for breakfast for the entire length of the trial. It was just too hard to see their little faces as we didn't share the toast.

Wow you are having a rough time this summer, I hope you get some answers and get things turned around pretty quick.

DJ
How are the girls feeling today?

Well, we went to the dermatologist yesterday for Maggie, he seems very thorough but doesn't seem like the friendly type. He was not happy with the biopsy and testing that the ER vet did, he said that he wished that they had just sent her to him then. Tryed to explain that they did the biopsies at the same time as the catscan so that she did not have to be put under two times so close togeather but he was still not happy. He did some scrapings, some swabbing and some hair pulls. He seems to think that she is having a nasty bacterial infection. Prescribed an antibiotic that the pharmacy did not have in stock so will have to wait until this afternoon to start her on it. Sent us home with a new shampoo (she is not thrilled about) and she has to be bathed in it two or three times a week. We see him again next week for the results of the tests he ran.

Now onto Zoe'. I had to leave her at the vets this AM :'''( Her vet thinks that there is a lot of fluid trapped (she is very painful and has a swelling at the base of her ear) and so He is going to sedate her and try to look further inside...he may have to place a tube. My poor little girlie. Give her a thought today...

I gave Hannah a stern talking to this morning (tempered with a hug) about giving me at least one healthy one that I don't have to scrub, poke, medicate or put a cone on.

Despite the lack of crateside manner, I hope the doggie dermatologist is able to help Maggie get better and that the nasty rash is soon gone.

Poor little Zoe, strong cocker prayers being said for her. I hope her ear improves very quickly.

Gentle hugs for both of them. Hugs for Hannah also. It can't be easy for her taking care of both of them!

Goodness I hope the new vet is worth putting up with, you are already stressed and a friendly face would be nice I think.

Poor little Zoe, I hope they get it fixed, it is not good when it moves to the middle ear.

Hugs for all of them, you too.

So in other words the dermatologist wanted to do all the testing over again. Remind him he's not a pathologist. :naughty: I've come across some considerate doctors that will not stick a patient again for blood if they can get the results faxed to them from elsewhere--this dermatologist isn't the considerate type.

I hope both girls do better.

ZOE UPDATE:
Sooooo Zoe's ear. She is now sporting a matching cone with Maggie. She is also sporting a lovely drain that I need to keep clean, that and the surrounding skin and inside of her ear leather. Her ear canal was completely swollen shut, so no med could get in and nothing could get out. The result was a LOT of fluid trapped in the ear canal resulting in an abcess that ruptured in to the surrounding tissue on Zoe's face! My poor little girl, I feel very badly for her. I have no idea how this got so bad so fast. I have never had an ear in any of my cockers flair up this bad especially when being treated with meds and cleaners. She was diagnoised with an infection in both ears last week, both were being treated in the same way. Clean, then give meds. The left one is all but gone (but continuing with meds) but this right one...oh man.

I feel like I let her down, say a prayer for my baby...

I sure feel for you DJ as that's how Tucker's were. Even with his Zepp we occasionally still fight his right ear. Hope Zoe's isn't an ongoing battle like his is. Sometimes things are out of our control no matter what we do.

Poor Zoe! When did this happen? Sending her prayers from Michigan.

Any news yet?

Zoe's did well last night and didn't seem to mind too much my washing her face and ear...some drainage in the late afternoon and early evening but none since. Her appetite is great and she seems to be getting around with the cone "all right". She seemed in a little pain last night but not so this morning.

A little note here about Zoe and her cone vrs Maggie and her cone. When Maggie bumps into something with her cone (the wall or your leg) she just barrels through (ouchie) but Zoe'? when she bumps into something she just stops and waits for you to move it, wether it is your leg or the corner of the couch.

As for Maggie, we have not heard back from the Dermatologist yet on any of the "samples" he took. Bathed her in the new shampoo last night, must have got some in her eyes as they are red again this morning. She was doing very well in the eye department and is to see the optomologist this morning for a repeat of the Schimers? and for a look see. I had though that they were going to be pleasantly surprised to see the eyes looking so good (no swelling, redness or discharge) but now I don't know what they will think. As for her skin? I had a melt down after bathing her last night...Brian came home to find me drying Maggie and in tears over the hair loss and her skin condition. She has some sores on the underside of her ear leather, with the "sores" come loss of hair. It seems like so much comes out when I brush or comb them that I may as well shave them down too. Will try to get some more pictures of her this afternoon and post them. Through this all she is the still the sweetest girl. I have been taking her for walks as that is one of the only times when she can be without her cone, it kills me when people we meet pet the others but draw their hands back from her (or their dogs) she just stands there wiggling like crazy, hopeful for a pat and none comes.

Back