Which Microchip Are You Using?

Joyce

Owned by
3 cockers
I am planning on having the two young ones microchipped because I am currently showing both of them. I could use some advice on which chip you feel is superior or is there a superior one? My vet uses or has Home Again or AVID....may be the same thing. I just am not knowledgeable on microchips.

Has anyone had any problems with microchips? Any info is appreciated. Joyce

I have never had a problem with our chips, we have the girls implanted (sounds awful) with Home Again. I like that you can get on their websit and update your info. I also keep a tag on the girls with our phone numbers. Just an FWI if your dog gets lost and has a chip, you can advertise that they are chipped and even tell the brand of the chip but never give out your chip number to anyone who calls. If it is a vet/shelter that calls you they already have the chip number from scanning them and calling you. I don't know if just having the chip number can change the registration info or not but why take the chance that they can claim the dog is theirs.

You can not feel the chip in any of my girls or my daughters dog either had he is a short haired dog.
My bird Dharma, has an avidchip.

For those of you with young dogs who are worried about hurting the puppy, have it done when spaying or nuetering. However my daughters dog had his done with no issue. giving treats helps too

Last edited:
I have two with Home Again and I like it. I can upload current pics, they have the ability to alert anyone in my area if one gets lost, and they monitor the chips too so if one gets picked up by someone else, that dog comes home or they ask if I have sold the dog. Search stuff readily available if one goes missing and accident insurance at no charge. Monte has an Avid...none of the above. Avid never even acknowledged that Monte is now mine - not a rescue pooch. I had to call them to make sure he is registered to me and not rescue. I pay for Home Again $15 per year per dog but I can update their pics, their rabies tag, and any special needs they may have. It's also (from what I hear - a universal scan) Worth it.

I use the CKC sanctioned microchips, because those are the only ones they accept as ID (other than a tattoo). My dogs have never had chips move or migrate - I have Farley's checked every year when he goes in for his wellness visits, and it hasn't moved in 10.5 years.

DeeDee was microchipped at her breeder before she came here.

I had no problem transferring the information over to myself on-line since I had the microchip number from her breeder.

My 3 pound puppies are chipped with Home Again, Robin had Stormy chipped by AKC, all are working well. I have them checked once a year.

Odie has an Avid chip. It has moved since first implanted. My current vet doesn't do microchips. If he did, all of mine would have them.

So what happens when the chip moves?

I can't bring myself to poke Hoshi for a microchip. Gina even offered to take care of it herself. I don't even like taking them in for blood draws.

It doesn't hurt them Manuel if it moves. Sometimes they just migrate. I think it has to do with the way it is placedby the person doing it but that's my opinion.
All mine have the Home Again and I like their services better. Just don't put your tags on your dogs that has their ID number on it as people can change the owner info if they have that.

I use Home Again too, or I should say, that's what my vet uses, but my scanner can read all chips if one comes in and I want to double check them.

I have Home Again, too. This is what our vet uses. I have never paid any fee for it after the inital one...

One is Avid the other two are 24PetWatch. All chipped by either a rescue or shelter so I didn't have a choice in the matter.

If I had a choice I would go with Home Again.

I have Home Again, too. This is what our vet uses. I have never paid any fee for it after the inital one...

You didn't register the pooch on-line I'm guessing. Gots to give them all your info so they know where to return the pooch if they get lost!

You didn't register the pooch on-line I'm guessing. Gots to give them all your info so they know where to return the pooch if they get lost!

It's changed, too. Dylan and Riley have Home Again and their addresses are registered with the company. We just paid the fee when they were chipped like Judy did. That ws it. By the time Lauren went to chip Eloise there were all the extra services and you could pay the $16.99 per year for those.

I've got mine chipped with Home Again. I like the fact that if... God forbid... one of them gets lost and injured, they will cover the first $3000 of medical bills for free.

Max has Avid and I don't like that you don't get all the extras but I also did not get a choice because his breeder had him chipped.

This thread brings to mind a question that I have thought of a couple of times.

Can they be re-chipped? The old one deactivated and a new one put in? Just curious.

And one wants to wonder if chips will ever become "standardized" as they become more popular......

Back