Which Microchip Are You Using?

I don't think they de-activate chips Dot, but I do know of a few dogs with multiple chips. The Canadian Kennel Club mandates that ALL dogs registered with the CKC have a CanadaChip. For people that import dogs (or send dogs out of country), those dogs must have a CanadaChip, and some of them already have a chip from their home country. I haven't heard of anybody having any issues in dogs with multiple chips.

Can they be re-chipped? The old one deactivated and a new one put in? Just curious.

I don't know if they can be deactivated but I had an offer from a certain rescue group to have a chip removed from a cocker I found if I would agree to keep the dog. I declined of course...just not right.

I wouldn't feel right about putting a dog through it either. Why remove it when you can update it? What would the purpose be?

I wouldn't feel right about putting a dog through it either. Why remove it when you can update it? What would the purpose be?
owner.

To keep the pooch from it's rightful owner. Some assume just because the critter got loose once it has an irresponsible owner. Stuff happens sometimes - I can't be that close-minded.

I don't know if they can be deactivated but I had an offer from a certain rescue group to have a chip removed from a cocker I found if I would agree to keep the dog. I declined of course...just not right.

How does that NOT surprise me.:unsure:

-quote- KLADCkrs I don't think they de-activate chips Dot, but I do know of a few dogs with multiple chips. /quote

I was thinking that multiple chips might interfere with one another. How would a vet etc know which chip had the correct info?

I don't know how a vet would know which chip was accurate . . . for the dogs I've known with multiple chips, they're registered to the same owner anyhow, so it's not a big deal. That wouldn't be the case for rescue dogs all the time. Good question!

I can't imagine having a chip removed . . . that would be a surgical procedure, wouldn't it?

I can't imagine having a chip removed . . . that would be a surgical procedure, wouldn't it?

A very painful one at that....not to mention illegal. The scanners tell you where it is, generaly speaking but not how deep or an exact pinpointed area not to mention the scar tissue that can and sometimes does grow around it enlarging the removal area. Which in turn can effect the muscle/tissue it is injected into. Listened to a vet tech as he had this discusion with a women years ago who wanted to liberate a golden she thought was being mistreated.

I use Avid the Humane Society of MN, does a walk for animals (fundraiser) yearly and offers discount microchip service ($20) at the event so I had mine done there. I like the fact that I am using the chip the humane society uses, just in case my pups ever get lost. My vet offers Home again but the cost going through the vet would be close to $100 after all the fees (office visit fee, actviation fee, etc.).

Back