Who knew Fleas would be aound this time of yr.

Coco's Mom

RIP Coco May 4th 2020
Owned by
1 cocker
I need any advice I can get on getting rid of the damm things. We never had any problem with them in the other house but, it seems Coco has got them bad. He has had the advantage, then I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 3 pack, it didn't seem to work too well. Now I am on the hunt for a GOOD flea shampoo, before John and I get eaten alive.

I would continue to use the Advantage or Frontline on Coco. Sounds like you have an infestation too. I would use Ortho Home Defense if they're in your carpet. I've used it and it kills everything for months. If your infestation is really bad you may have to reapply it. It smells a little so let the house air out while it dries.

There is one thing I am glad about, we don't have any carpet in our house. I will have to strip the futon, to wash the cover, and wash his bedding. Now to get John's son to do the same so they don't get transfered any longer but, once the advantage is on Coco, I'm sure it will ease up. We are going to meet Coco's new vet today.

Hope everything is good with the fleas and good luck with the new vet!

Move to Northern Alberta - we have weather that's too hostile for fleas and heartworm :)

This is about the only thing that makes me happy we have snow and cold temperature half the year! Good luck.

Hi Coco's mom,

Fleas are so tough once your dog has them- I hate having to wash everything in the house. I used frontline for my dog and that seemed to work pretty well. If it gets really bad you could take your dog in for a flea dip at the vets. Just be sure that Coco isn't chewing cause the bites could get infected. I found some decent advice on my-canine-infection.com on the offchance you will find something useful there. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Thank you all for your input. Coco isn't as infested as I thought, just a lot of flea poop...which I figured so, getting the Advantage again, since he had it already with no reaction. The vet said, the dog that was in just before Coco, a border collie, was infested bad, constant scratching, and biting. Coco just scratches a bit. A day later, he already is showing signs of feeling better. I was given enough to do both dogs, neither of them are scratching much. She was surprised on how many ppl had been coming in with fleas though.

As for moving to Alberta...No thanks hahha. Really don't like the cold or the heat. Where I am we have all 4 seasons, and love it.

A lot of people on several different lists are saying what a problem they are this year and it's all around the country. Many are are also complaining that Frontline and Advantix are not really providing as quick relief as they have done in the past.

Formula change? Fleas developing a resistance?

Lots of people that never had a problem before, are complaining this year. Especially about frontline. We had an issue because we brought in a Pekingese that was infested. My frontline spray didn't seem to
be doing the job. Thought maybe the bottle was expired. Bought a new one at vet, as well as Capstar pills that kills whatever is on the dog or cat. The best is to
treat 3 days with them, them
follow up
with advantage or whatever you use. Vacuum couch cracks, and under furniture. Personally, I think they are
becoming resistant.

Back