Wind chill -33 F in at home

I didn't take Callie to the farm this morning. She wasn't happy. It's not as cold here, but I figure 7* was colder than I wanted her out in for a long period of time.

Hope everyone is staying safe and warm!

Its a tropical 9 here but no walk for us either. On top of the cold, we had some significant snow squalls here last night and the town dumped a TON of salt/sand on the roads. I drove over a salt/sand speed bump in 1 spot. Too much to let the dogs walk in even if I do wax their paws.

I've never heard of paw wax so I looked it up. I'm going to get some. I've used petroleum jelly type products which work great but not great on carpets.

I've bought Musher's Secret before and it is probably better for severe ice but for 'normal' winters and for my cockers, I prefer making this How to Make an All-Natural Protective Paw Wax for Dogs & Cats | Frugally Sustainable

The Musher's Secret is VERY heavy - like bag balm and it is very difficult to remove from floors and fur. I used it w/my doberman for skijoring sessions or when she was running miles on ice. It would get stuck in long hair etc. This stuff is a bit lighter (I do add a bit more olive oil) but it doesnt get in fur quite as much, is non toxic and cheap to make. I bought the shea butter in 2013 and still have a bit left!

Yes stay safe everyone. Manuel, have you considered snow boots for Hoshi?

I'll look into it but I liking the paw wax Cockers4Ever recommended.

Back