Worried about Mack

rspeaker

Owned by
2 cockers
I hope I'm overreacting but I'm worried about the new guy Mack. He's got a very healthy appetite, he's going to the bathroom fine, and he's playful and energetic. But I've noticed that he seems to have an insatiable thirst. He drinks a full bowl in the morning with his breakfast, and another with his dinner. I try to limit the water after dinner so he doesn't wet in his crate, I bet tonight he's been over at the empty bowl 25 times, and every time we go outside to potty he tries licking the rain off the patio. He doesn't seem to have any problem holding himself for 5-6 hours in his crate but then will turn around and pee 3 times in an hour.

I'm hoping it's just a behavioral thing but I'm worried he may have diabetes or kidney issues. I find it very hard to believe his breeder wouldn't have noticed this in 5 months when I noticed it in 2 days. I have his vet check scheduled for next Thursday but wonder if I should move it earlier.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd try to advance it Roy. Better safe than sorry.
I'm not familiar with the breeder you got Mack from so I'm not much help there. If they've got too many dogs they could've missed a problem or he could even have isatiable (sp?) thirst due to not getting alot of water when there and now gets it when he can as he's not sure when he'll get it again.

Thanks Robin. I emailed the breeder and am going to try to call her vet tomorrow. Depending on what they say I may call my vet as well. I talked to the emergency vet clinic a little earlier and they said it could be either diabetes insipidus, or exactly what you said - if he didn't get a lot of water where he was before he may be over compensating.

Roy
Let us know what happens. I sure will be thinking of you and Mack.

Breeder says there is no history of diabetes or kidney disease in the lines. Called our vet and they didn't have anything available today so I'll try again Monday. He seems better tonight, he's still drinking but he doesn't seem obsessed with it. He's been outside to play, took a walk, took a nap, etc. Will be keeping an eye on him throughout the weekend.

Sounds like cause for concern, that's for sure.

On the good side, he's active and (especially for only 5 months old) not going in his crate.

I think your vet ought to be able to rule out diabetes (either mellitus or insipidus) fairly simply from appropriate blood tests.

If he was not used to free access to water before or had lots of "competition", he may indeed be overreacting and possibly "hoarding" the resource.

We have a young boarding client in the kennel here now that's a bit OCD (the owners description) with eating and drinking issues, a tiny white malti-poo. We are instructed to limit access to short periods on a schedule for the day. Playful and friendly otherwise.

I got his appointment moved to Tuesday morning. Planning to take a urine sample (the ONLY good side of him not being housebroken yet) and a stool sample. Tonight it got so bad again I had to put his leash on him just to keep him in the same room as me.

Blood glucose test - normal. Urine sample - normal. Vet thinks (like most of you) it's a behavioral issue of some sort. Wants to give it some more time and see if he adjusts. He goes for neutering next Tuesday and she will run a kidney enzyme test when she does the pre-surgical bloodwork.

Hi Roy - not sure if Mack was a kennel dog at his breeder's place (sounds like he was) but that could mean that he just hasn't ever really had to "hold it" before. It could be that you just have to start waaaaay back at square one in terms of housetraining. Tethering, crate time, etc. I know it's a pain, especially with an older puppy, but it might really help.

I'm glad his tests turned out okay. I think Kelly has some good advice. Maybe these unusual habits will change now that he's in a different environment.

I'm glad his tests turned out okay. I think Kelly has some good advice. Maybe these unusual habits will change now that he's in a different environment.

I'm glad they came out okay also Roy. Hopefully you will find out more when he's in for his neutering. Has his drinking calmed down any yet?

Not really sure I can say his drinking has "calmed down" any but we are trying to manage it. We give him free access to the water while he is eating breakfast and dinner; around midday when I come home for lunch; and about 2 hours before bedtime. The rest of the time we keep the bowls up out of sight. We don't take it from him, we wait until he gets his fill, then put it up. A couple times out to pee and then the key seems to be to distract him with something else, either a chew toy, or a walk, or a romp with Bailey.

Just for kicks, I timed his pre-bedtime drink session last night - 2 1/2 minutes. Out to pee then in to play with a toy. Kept himself occupied for about 20-25 minutes then snuck behind the couch and squatted :( Guess I need a few more baby gates. We'll get there.

On a different note though - just picked him up from the groomers and totally freaked out - out of nowhere he's got a cherry eye! It wasn't there this morning I know that. Swung by the vet on the way home and she checked it out. Said if it doesn't go away by Tuesday (lose-the-hacky-sacks-day) she'll tuck it whlie he's under. Geez, what is it with me and black/tan male cockers (for those that remember the barbed-wire-through-the-eyelid incident with Bailey) ??

So, what is the recovery like for the cherry eye surgery? I remember Bailey was a wreck for 10 days with stitches and a cone.

Here's a couple of post-grooming pics - looks like a totally different pooch!

IMG_0769.JPGIMG_0767.jpg

Roy what a cute boy he is! He really does look like he's wearing a mask. So sorry about the cherry eye. I remember the cone of shame that Baily had to wear after his incident with the wire.

Sorry about Mack's eye. I have a feeling it's just irritation from the grooming. I'm not sure if removing his water bowl is the way to go. I'm thinking it will perpetuate whatever mental process started this. I would leave the bowl out and watch him or offer him water every couple hours.

He is so cute, I love the black and tans..hmmm maybe cause Maggie is one. Maggie has a mask too...and it fits her, she is a bandit when it comes to food.

Could she not message the cherry eye back in with ointment? Sometimes that is all it takes. Some dogs pop them out if they are aggressively chewing on something. Good luck with the eye.

Good luck with the water situation. I think I would also keep the water out and get him used to having it around. Hope the cherry eye can be massaged back in because he sure is a handsome guy and I don't think he would like the cone very much.

Back