Charlie

Patty G.

Hello
I’m a new member to this club, as well as first time owner of a 10 weeks old American cocker Spaniel named Charlie. He’s a beautiful solid black and white chested puppy. He’s the cutest thing on earth!
My question is when are cocker spaniels considered fully grown or adults? I read somewhere that it’s six months, some say 9 or even 18 months??? Confused!

Hi welcome Patty and Charlie! We would love pictures please. Some cockers stay puppy like all their lives. They are called the Merry little hunters.
My Pye will be 5 in July, I have just seen some signs of maturity in him this year. ;)

It's in individual thing. Some of my past dogs, have been more settled at a younger age. But, my excuse is that Pye was and is my first and last puppy that I have raised. One of my best friends is his breeder, she brought him to me at 7.5 weeks and stayed a week to help me settle in with him. He's been a joy.

I think they physically mature between a year and a year and a half but even after reaching full growth their shape does keep changing slightly for another couple of years. Think how a teenage boy may reach his full height in high school but his shoulders and waist continue to broaden for several years yet.

Mentally, I think that depends on the individual dog. I know that showing Ki as a one year old was very different than showing him as a three year old. When he was theee, something in his brain clicked and he suddenly knew just what to do. Cockers can have puppy like enthusiasm and energy for quite a few years.

I think they physically mature between a year and a year and a half but even after reaching full growth their shape does keep changing slightly for another couple of years. Think how a teenage boy may reach his full height in high school but his shoulders and waist continue to broaden for several years yet.

Mentally, I think that depends on the individual dog. I know that showing Ki as a one year old was very different than showing him as a three year old. When he was theee, something in his brain clicked and he suddenly knew just what to do. Cockers can have puppy like enthusiasm and energy for quite a few years.
Karen! You can sure tell our boys are related!

Back