Double K 401 Clippers

Kathy

Owned by
2 cockers
Having mini horses which need clipping each spring I have to use powerful clippers. Last year I used Oster Turbos and they did an ok job as the little minis grown a very dense coat each winter. The lady I purchased them from also shows so they do tons of clipping. She suggested I invest in a set of Double K clippers.
Now that I have Levi that also needs clipping I am really thinking of getting a set as they have a separate motor so the clipper part is quiet and does not get hot like most clippers do.
Since they are quiet expensive I would like to know if any of you have or ever used these for clipping and if so do you like them and are they worth their cost. Thanks so much!
http://www.shop.com/Double_K_Clippe...sourceid=298&gclid=CKyWyL-kzbUCFQYGnQodLRMA2w

Sorry, Cordelia's nose hit the "send" button for me. There are good professional groomers on this forum, who can tell you more. We have a mid-range Andis clipper (round cord). I think I paid about $125 for it. I have to admit, it does get warm, and perhaps it's not as quiet, but it's served ok for a one or two dog household. So the one you have selected does look pretty interesting.

Yes it does seem like quite a lot of clipper...lol but I also have four mini horses that have to be body clipped each spring. The lady I got my minis from swears by these and she clips minis and her Yorkies with them. She says they power through the thickest of coats but yet are the same size of a regular set of clippers and uses the same blades,she even clips her little dogs with them also.
The thing I like best is that the motor is not in the clipper and therefore does not get hot. I was hoping some one had used them and if they like them. I have Osters right now but thinking of adding another set by spring so I could swap out when they get hot....I like the idea of these but they are a big investment so I would like to be sure about them before buying.

Wow Kathy!!!!
Those look stupendous! I bet Robin will have something to say. She is a professional groomer who owns her own shop.

Why not invite yourself over to the lady's place, watch her groom her dogs.. you know that they will work wonderfully on your horses already. Maybe even take Levi along see if she will let you "try them out"

If they are as wonderful as the look, and, because you can use them for Levi and your horses, and if you can afford them, go for it!!! I think they are a WOW!

I would love to go watch them in action Polly...lol but she lives in another state.

I hope Robin knows about them as they would be such a large investment I would like to get some feedback about them.
I do like the idea behind them and the fact they do not get hot.

I've never heard of them before . . . would love to have some, since they don't get hot. I HATE that even my clippers (which are really good) get hot eventually.

What kind do you use Kelly? I am going to have to buy a second pair of clippers this spring with so many pets to clip. Need a set that will work with Oster A-5 blades.
The lady where I got my little horses told me...as I was going through blades right and left not to use Kool Lube as much...she told me to get blade wash (which I had never used) and cool and wash my blades off in a small bowl as they were runnng. To my surprise it did work MUCH better and my blades lasted quite a bit longer.

What kind do you use Kelly? I am going to have to buy a second pair of clippers this spring with so many pets to clip. Need a set that will work with Oster A-5 blades.
The lady where I got my little horses told me...as I was going through blades right and left not to use Kool Lube as much...she told me to get blade wash (which I had never used) and cool and wash my blades off in a small bowl as they were runnng. To my surprise it did work MUCH better and my blades lasted quite a bit longer.
Wow that's good to know Kathy! I do have Kool Lube, a can lasts me about 10 years LOL.. I only use it as a final spray after I wash my blades. I don't lube them at all during my clipping. I own 3 oster clippers. I just trade off.

I use the Wahl Bravura clippers - they don't take regular clipper blades (A5 blades) - instead they use an adjustable blade. It shaves at 5 set lengths, and then you can use clipper combs with them too. They're lightweight and quiet, so I love them. These ones I've had for a few years now, though, and I can see that the battery is starting to show signs of wear (these are re-chargeable and can be used with or without the cord). I've been very happy with these clippers.

Those sound awesome Kelly...would love to have some for Levi but I go through so many blades with the little horses and have quite a collection of A5 blades...lol I do have some small cordless Walh's that I use on Levi and the minis bridle paths...I love them!!

Polly the blade wash is really good for cooling and cleaning your blades. Just let them run in it for a couple of minutes then put a little oil on them and they are ready for your next use. I pour some in a container with a tight lid on it and you can use it over and over again.
I guess I am just old school...lol but I have used Oster clippers for over 30 years and always had good luck with them. I know there is a lot of others out there and I have heard many good things about them....but I keep buying the Osters I guess because I know through the years of experience that they always get the job done. :)

Last edited:
Those sound awesome Kelly...would love to have some for Levi but I go through so many blades with the little horses and have quite a collection of A5 blades...lol I do have some small cordless Walh's that I use on Levi and the minis bridle paths...I love them!!

Polly the blade wash is really good for cooling and cleaning your blades. Just let them run in it for a couple of minutes then put a little oil on them and they are ready for your next use. I pour some in a container with a tight lid on it and you can use it over and over again.
Yes I have some, in fact, I think it's called Clipper Wash. It's kind of fun to see all the hair at the bottom that washes off and out of the blades, I just never thought to immerse the clipper head running into it.

Yes...she told me to clean them several times during clipping (of a mini) running in the blade wash and it really did help keep them clean and not bog down and extended my blades.

Last edited:
Kathy I was wondering are the horses coats harder on the blades than a cockers coat?

Oh yes Polly...we laugh and call them little Yaks in the winter time,they will naturally shed some but not all of there hair and will not get slick like a large horse unless clipped. I thought about using a large sheep shearing clipper on them but it leaves tracks and marks so you need to use a regular 10 blade to get them nice,smooth and even. I go through 3 or 4 blades per mini. I clip their head and back about mid April if warm enough and do a total body clip in May.
Here is a photo of Candy with her head and back clipped but you can see how thick and wooly their winter hair gets.
View attachment 7636

Last edited:
Oh Kathy! Candy is so cute in her cocker cut! Look! NO hula skirt!!!

Back