Dylan Advice Needed (Sorry, Very Long)

karenwalksthedogs

Staff member
Owned by
2 cockers
I hope people still like me on this forum after I tell all of you that our pets generally don't sleep with us. Keith is tall, long legged, and generally a restless sleeper. Our new king sized bed (after over 30 years of marriage) helps but any more bodies are just too much.

Our previous cocker spaniels slept on a dog bed right next to ours. They would cuddle with us until we turned out the lights and then jump down into their own bed. I was about to start that routine with Dylan when we got Riley. Riley can't be trusted out of his crate at night, especially now, and both dogs run right up the stairs into their crates at night and wait for their treats. If we forget to shut Dylan's door, he usually runs up to us, runs back to his crate, and stares until we shut it, so we've just kept them crated next to us and they've seemed happy until now.

We moved up Dylan's mouth surgery because he had begun to whimper with pain at night. We let him up into the bed with us for comfort. After his surgery we didn't let Dylan up because he was on pain medication and I didn't want him to injure himself if he became confused. Our bed is VERY high (I found out why they now have the option of low profile box springs after we placed the new bed on our frame) and I worried about him falling off.

For a few days Dylan was fine. He would whimper in pain about 5:30 am and I suspect that was when the meds would begin to wear off. Dylan had to have soft toys only and I found a squeaky basketball that was very soft. He loved it and began to squeak it frequently. Dylan's pain meds were discuntinued 5 days post surgery. He seemed to be pain free and acted fine during the days. However at night Dylan began a new routine. About 3 am he would begin to make a sound. It wasn't the same whimper as he made when he was in pain. The best I can describe it is the horrible high pitched squeaking made by a child's tricycle that needs oiling. It begins very softly and gradually becomes louder and louder. Then Dylan begins to rattle the crate door. At first we took him outside thinking he had to go to the bathroom. It has been very rainy here and it's always a struggle to get these dogs to go out in the rain. The very first thing Dylan would do when he ran downstairs was to begin squeaking the basketball. Going outside didn't seem an emergency.

We put the ball up at night and have taken it away completely now that Dylan can have his raquet balls again. It hasn't made a difference. The vet hasn't found anything wrong with Dylan either.

For over 3 weeks I have been awake almost every night from 3:30am on. Luckily (?) for Keith he has some hearing loss from working with machinery and doesn't hear Dylan until he becomes VERY loud. If we tell Dylan "NO!" he will quiet down for a while but it will gradually begin again. Yesterday in frustration at 3:30 I opened Dylan's crate door and swatted him on the bottom. He was quiet and went back to sleep until time to get up but I was so upset I couldn't go back to sleep. This morning when it began, Keith picked up Dylan's crate and put it out in the hall then shut our door. It was harder to hear the squeaking and today Dylan is walking around like he's in trouble.

I really think the problem is that Dylan became fixated on that ball and that began everything. Now he is carrying around his raquet balls a lot also. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do? This has never been an issue with Dylan before at all. Between this and Regina, who I will post about in Part 2, I don't think I have gotten a full night's sleep in several months and I'm getting very tired and cranky.

OH my goodness. Not sure what to say but, I hope you get some sleep soon or Dylan will be sleeping in the preverbial dog house.

Sounds like he now knows he can wake you. My suggestion would be to place his crate in another area for you both to get some sleep and perhaps he'll forget that he'll get a reaction from you if he's persistent enough. Mind you he'll probably object to another sleeping area in the beginning but don't give in. Just like letting the baby cry himself to sleep so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember the mouth problem exactly (bad tooth?) but this is complicating the issue so surgery will definitely help. I wouldn't let Dylan have toys at night while everyone's sleeping. He should be sleeping like everyone else instead of playing.

We don't let the pets have toys at night for that very reason that everyone needs to sleep. He would pick up the ball when he would run downstairs to be let out. I will try placing him in another room for a few nights. Keith and I both need sleep and between Regina and Dylan we are exhausted.

I am simply puzzled about why this has started. Dylan is nine years old and has never been like this.

Good luck Karen. I sure do hope that putting Dylan in another room will help. Perhaps some quiet music will help also. And, earplugs for you.

Given the pros and cons, perhaps giving him his ball in the creat will
act as his pacifier and keep him quiet. Also, try giving him a melatonin about and hournornso before crate time. Take one or two yourself and get some much needed rest. We had Doodle whomwas so addicted to his racquet ball that he drove us nuts if we hid it. If we put it in a closet, he would smack and talk to the closet till we got it for him. Sometimes having it acts like a little security blanket. Keeps in mouth and muffles any noises.

Sorry if my post sounded harsh. ^_^ Linny's idea might work too. There's one school of thought that people with sleeping disorders should practice "sleep hygiene." Sleep hygiene are activities that you practice on a daily basis to promote sleeping. That was my thought when I mentioned bedtime was for sleeping. Use whatever you find works best. I think Dylan's dental surgery will provide the best cure though.

Perhaps he wants to be on the bed snuggling with you? You mentioned something about letting him in the bed with you for comfort. Did he stay there all night or just until you turned out the lights? It's been my experience once they get to sleep in the bed with their people, they want to be there all the time.

I didn't think you were being harsh, Manuel. Dylan has already had his dental surgery. He has been off the pain medication for about a week now. Last night was the first time we have been able to sleep through the night in about 2 months. I think two things helped. First of all when we moved Dylan's crate out into the hall yesterday morning, I think that was a bit of a shock to him. Second Keith found the bag of raquet balls he had put away when Dylan had to have soft toys. Now there are about 5 or 6 balls out. Maybe he isn't quite as worried that his ball isn't with him. He knows there are lots of them around.

I am sorry you are going through that with Dylan. I don't really know what to say. Good luck, hope things get better soon before you go crazy.

Last night was the first time we have been able to sleep through the night in about 2 months. I think two things helped. First of all when we moved Dylan's crate out into the hall yesterday morning, I think that was a bit of a shock to him. Second Keith found the bag of raquet balls he had put away when Dylan had to have soft toys. Now there are about 5 or 6 balls out. Maybe he isn't quite as worried that his ball isn't with him. He knows there are lots of them around.

I think that, like Robin said, he found that you would get up and let him into bed with you....and he liked sleeping with you mom :). Glad that you got some sleep and hopefully he will settle back into his old routine.
I know what you mean about the high bed. Even with the low profile bottom mattress our bed was too tall, so we put it in storage and got just a piece of plywood for the bottom. I still feel like Edith Ann sitting on the side of it. I too was worried about the girls and so they have their own bench that they jump down on to get to the floor.

Karen
I'm so glad things are working for Dylan. Poor boy! Poor you and Keith!

I really have no advice, but I hope that what you've decided to try will help. I'd be so frustrated and exhausted too if I were getting up through the night all the time.

:) at Edith Ann. I know what you mean. I am not short but I have to pull up to get on the bed. We have a loveseat at the end of the bed. Dylan is very athletic and has just jumped up but he mostly uses the loveseat. Riley can't do that anymore ): Whenever we lift Riley up onto the bed I keep an eagle eye on him. I worry he could be hurt if he fell off. I know he would be very scared.

:) at Edith Ann. I know what you mean. I am not short but I have to pull up to get on the bed. We have a loveseat at the end of the bed. Dylan is very athletic and has just jumped up but he mostly uses the loveseat. Riley can't do that anymore ): Whenever we lift Riley up onto the bed I keep an eagle eye on him. I worry he could be hurt if he fell off. I know he would be very scared.

Zoe' can not get up the bed even with the bench, her balance is just to off. So she stands at the side and woo woo's at you to put her up. She sometimes gets off by using the bench but mostly we just let her down our selves, luckily she never trys to jump down if the bench is not in place. Hannah is the only one who can jump up on her own and lords it over the other tow.....it is the queen bee thing to do in her eyes. She stands there looking down and wagging at them...brat.

Well, here I am posting at 3:00am. I have been up for about an hour after listening to squeaking coming from Dylan. Keith and I slept well for a few nights. I don't know if I was so tired I slept right through Dylan or if he was actually quiet. Then the dreaded sounds began again.

I am still not sure what to do. If we leave Dylan in his crate, he squeaks and it becomes lounder and louder. If we sternly tell him to settle down, he does for a little while and then begins again. We have moved his crate out into the hall and it at least muffles the whining and rattling of the crate door but it's hard to go back to sleep after carrying the crate out. Besides we have a friend visiting for tne next few days and I don't want her to be kept awake by Dylan. The past two nights I let Dylan up and instead of settling in bed with us he ran around like it was time to rise and shine. He wouldn't settle down at all. I do not rise nor do I shine at 3 or 4 in the morning.

For the life of me I can't figure this out. Dylan will be 10 in April and, unless he was sick, he has always been a good sleeper. I am very tired and not sure where to go from here.

I, too, don't have the dogs sleep with me. Matter of fact they are downstairs and I am upstairs. After Jim died I tried letting them come upstairs and it turned out to be a whole new area for the boys to mark - not good. When I got Casey he did sleep upstairs in a dog bed but that was only because I thought the others would kill him if I left him with them. As soon as I felt comfortable, I let him sleep with the others and he was a happy camper. "Go to your room" or "Time for bed" are about the only things my guys seem to understand - or at least respond to - other than "outside".

If there is an area that their crates could be moved to that is outside of your bedroom and be kept there on a regular basis - that might work. Since they are not used to actually being in the bed with you it might not turn out too bad. And not "heartless" in my opinion.

Have you tried giving him
a melatonin or two
before bedtime? At
least 3mgs an hour before. Can find in any drugstore.

Back