Going RAW!

CHCockerGal

"Sir Bentley" is 1 yo, and I tried to find a decent kibble that would give him all he needs plus some good firm stools. I've done research and talked extensively with his daycare/boarding people who all feed raw to all their personal dogs. Bentley is approx. 24 lbs, and I'd like some tips, ideas, etc on what to use for training treats, and do you feed at a regular time (am/pm) each day or not? I have more questions, but for now, going to dive in with raw, on-the-bone chicken and see if we can't firm up those stools and have a super healthy, happy pup!

Welcome. I like your avatar. I use ham steak. Cut it up in sections small enough to fit in a large paper plate (cover it with another) and microwave it for about 2-3 minutes. It comes out juicy. Dump the juice and let it cool. I cut it into tiny cubes (you can buy it this way too) and divide it up into several sandwich bags so you can freeze the rest.

Welcome. I like your avatar. I use ham steak. Cut it up in sections small enough to fit in a large paper plate (cover it with another) and microwave it for about 2-3 minutes. It comes out juicy. Dump the juice and let it cool. I cut it into tiny cubes (you can buy it this way too) and divide it up into several sandwich bags so you can freeze the rest.
Great idea - I'll be sure to watch his salt intake if I use ground chicken (sometimes they add sodium) if I'm giving him the ham as well.

Welcome!!

Raw on the bone chicken is awesome but not a complete diet. Its fine to start off like that but eventually, you will need to add some variety. Fish, beef, pork, veggies etc. There is alot of controversy about if and how much grains to use. My dogs do fine with grains so I make them oatmeal with eggs and blackstrap molasses every once in a while.

General guidelines is 2% of total body weight a day.

treats - you can dehydrate liver/kidney/heart by slicing it thin and putting it in the oven at 200deg. Or you can bake using more traditional recipes using wheat/oatmeal etc. or you could just be lazy (like me) and get decent commercial treats and call it good enough.

I used to be absolutely anal about no commercial treats and super diligent about feeding a very balanced diet weighing everything etc. Then, I had kids and realized I dont have time for all that and my dogs are just as healthy. I cant feed the dogs better than the kids.... everyone gets junkfood once in a while. For the dogs, it means Charlie Bears and pizza crusts for treats and canned fish rather than fresh.

Back