Hello from Elise and I!

LadySarah

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi everyone! I just found this forum while looking up grooming info for my pup, ironically, but I love this forum so far and thought I should join on up!

I'm from the panhandle of Florida and I live with my rescue, Elise. I got her back in 2013 when my sister mentioned an abandoned dog by her ex roommate. Apparently, the roommate kept her crated for most of the day and would often let her use the bathroom in the crate, which brought on abuse towards her. As I had been thinking about maybe getting a dog with my ex, and I have a heart as soft as warm butter, I drove from my house down to Tampa (a roughly 4 hour drive) to pick her up.

Even from the first moment I met her, despite being in pain and scared, she was so very sweet and curled up in my lap all the way home. She was in pretty rough shape and I immediately took her to a vet when I got home. She was suffering from dehydration (though I gave her a big old drink when I first met her and access to water every 30 minutes on the drive up.), malnutrition (the girl was feeding her cheap cat food), at 5lbs underweight, an eye infection in her left eye, an ear infection in both ears, and a terrible case of worms. But, with some love and medication, she perked up and became my happy dog!

Over the last three years, Elise has thrived. She's best friends with my rescue cats and they always cuddle and play together. Specifically, George, my 5 year old shorthair, will rub up against her and she will stand patiently, wagging her nubbin and licking him. She's not a fan of grooming and will turn around and try to eat the brush whenever I do, but I think she like might the sensation of chewing it more than anything. She's also very finicky about going to the bathroom on a leash in my apartment complex, though thankfully we have a dog park so I can left her off to potty. She's also incredibly nervous about being in cars and I can't crate her at all, even just to leave open for sleep due to her trauma as a puppy. She also shies if I raise my voice about anything in a mad or scolding tone, though its never directed at her. (Point in case, she was in the kitchen with me when I yelled at a broken toaster. My yelling made her put her head down, walk out of the room and hide under the bed. I've worked on curbing my behavior around her so she doesn't think I'm upset with her when I'm not.)

Even with those little quirks, she is an absolute dream for me as I was hesitant about having a dog after losing two of my childhood dogs. She is very well behaved and so sweet and loving. An absolute cuddle bug and such an adorable dork. Her favorite game is getting covers thrown on her and will often peek our with just her muzzle visible. When guests come over, she is elated and will jump around the house from couch to floor, whining and yipping little happy yips to welcome them! IMG_8140.JPG IMG_4585.JPG IMG_0026.JPG

Welcome! Elise is very cute. Don't worry, she will learn to trust you and realize you are not scolding her. I groom my own cocker. Doing the muzzle on Hoshi is difficult. Hoshi has a lot of folds on his bottom lip and he squirms when I do his face (and front paws). You don't want to nick them with the clippers because you'll lose their trust. Always go with the grain of the coat and keep your clippers parallel to the skin: You'll get good looking results and avoid accidental cuts.

Hi and welcome, what a lovely furry family. Manuel is so right! I have to have my husband hold my brown boy while I clipper his muzzle.

She is beautiful and I bet will come out of her shell more as she gets older and bolder. What a sweet expression on that face! Fiona still love to play blanket games....We play Puppy Taco where you wind her all up in the blankets and I exclaim in mock horror "OH NO!! It's a blanket with TEETH!!" as she capers madly around the bed in the quilt. They are SO much fun.

Back