Help with begging

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Hoshi is a great little dog in every way except when it comes to begging. We are to blame I'll admit. During dinner Hoshi barks and jumps at you. Hoshi's bark is surprisingly loud and hurts your ears. I try to feed him at the same time that way he's preoccupied eating. Plus, he wants to eat what you're eating and sometimes we do give him a little--I know that's only making things worse. I think I can come up with a solution for jumping. It's the barking that I need help with. :(

I have to admit I have also created a couple of beggars, but they don't bark . Chase will bark when I am fixing his dinner but not while begging. I am sure someone can come up with a solution. The trick is having the courage to enforce it , I am hopeless when they give me " the look " and I give in . ^_^

If he were mine, every time he started barking he'd have a time out in a crate in another room. When he got quiet, I'd let him out with a lot of praise. The trick is consistency so they put two and two together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have to pull out the crate. We were using it just for this purpose but left it in the garage after taking it to Toledo. He still barks in there but quiets down after a while.

Sent from Hoshi's mobile phone :paw:

I agree with Robin, put the crate in another room and give him a chewie. You can wait until he barks or you can just take put him in with his dinner, letting him out when you are done with yours.

The girls have to go into their "room" when we eat at the table. Not only because Maggie shamelessly begs ( drooling on your knee begging) but because Zoe' considers the space under the table as "her space". A space that needs to be protected. And if there are human legs under the table she considers it her job to keep all other four legged critters away. Coming out from under that table with her little teeth bared and snarling. She doesn't have a problem sharing her space with any little people who might want to join her....it is only the other dogs. So in the quest for a quiet peaceful meal, they go to the laundry room.

I had to laugh when I saw the title of the thread "Help with Begging." Dylan and Farley immediately volunteered to come and help Hoshi beg. They claim to be experts!

Last edited:
I have the same problem with Pumpkin the begging part. She doesn't jump or bark, but she sits on her little butt then gets up and sits really hard
so we can hear her. She cries and puts her chin right on your lap and gives you a sad face.

She cries and puts her chin right on your lap and gives you a sad face.

Bailey doesn't cry but he has the chin-on-the-lap and sad-face mastered.

Mack looks up at us, runs around the table, comes back and sits down, then looks up again for his 'reward'.

Mine don't beg :naughty:
Here's my routine, one bite for me, then, one bite for each of them. I always make extra veggies, that's what they usually get off our plates.. LOL..:p

Scarlett's bad about that too, and her bark is so high pitched it hurts the ears. She doesn't really jump though. I usually give in to the look because I am a big softie lol. I will try the crate, she's usually very good in there and doesn't really bark.

Well I think I need to check my phone bill to see which one of your dogs Chicka has been talking to ! She has never, in a year and a half barked for a treat when we are eating. She just sits patiently and waits. Well the other night we were eating, and talking, I was not paying any attention to the dogs and all of a sudden a loud bark came from Chicka ! Jim and I looked at each other, shocked, even Chase looked at her, mission accomplished, we no longer ignored her. ^_^ Actually I think she shocked herself ^_^

It must have been Hoshi. He's been looking pretty smug lately. :p

Tasha had a bad problem with barking, we put some pennies in a can, this discourages her from barking as she stops and looks at us. We also have several squirt guns laying around the house, she hates being squirted with water, but it does stop her from barking and chasing the cat.

Begging, well that's a whole different story. Gary will slip people food tidbits to her while we are eating, thinks I don't see them, as long as she bothers him I don't care! He's good about giving her only veggies. We also put her kibble on a plate and share these with her, she loves the additional attention from us.

Will try the penny idea although Hoshi is pretty adamant when it comes to barking over food. :)

Sent from Hoshi's mobile phone :paw:

I would think work on correcting the barking and once that's reasonably under control work on the barking. When we first adopted Peggy she would only eat people food from the table we very firmly would point out her food dish and ignore her no mater how hard she tried and looking sooo precious. Peggy no longer begs she does sit quietly by table or in her "house" by the table. She can even sit or lay on my lap and I can snack in my chair using her back to support my dish.Shes come a long way I'm so proud of her. She gets treats when we come home or for tricks .:w00t::w00t::*

Could you try teaching him "Speak"? It might sound counter-productive but it can help dogs with impulse control. Maybe after eating tell him to "Speak" and then give a treat. Ignore any barking you don't ask for.

I tried teaching "speak" in order to control my dog's barking - it didn't work for us. The best thing that happened for his barking was him going deaf, unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We are still working on it. The crate does help for now.

I have to admit I have also created a couple of beggars, but they don't bark . Chase will bark when I am fixing his dinner but not while begging. I am sure someone can come up with a solution. The trick is having the courage to enforce it , I am hopeless when they give me " the look " and I give in . ^_^

I think this is "the look" you're talking about. It's tough saying no to a face like that, huh? but it's for his own good. (My first picture attachment. I hope it comes out ok). Debbie

DSC00010.jpg

Back