Hi, nice to meet everyone!

Hi Stephanie! Welcome to MCS! I hope you find a home here, like I have!

The American Cocker is definitely my heart breed as well, and it all started with Kaylee (pictured in my avatar). My now-ex fiance and I moved to Florida in 2008, we had to leave my family dog in Oklahoma with.. well, the famz! We decided we were lonely, and to start the puppy search. His mom had a cockapoo, so he searched in that range, but the moment he saw Kaylee's picture he knew I'd want her. He showed me the pic, and he was right. Love at first sight! So I called and started negotiations, etc. A couple of days later, the breeder had asked what we planned to name her... we said Kaylee (after the character in Joss Whedon's Firefly). She screamed with excitement! She and her family had already been calling her Kaylee.... it was just meant to be! We got her when she was a mere 6 weeks old- the woman was a backyard breeder. I didn't even know what that was back then, but thankfully I do now! She is the doggy daughter love of my life... and unfortunately, my ex physically would not allow me to take her with me when we broke up. She is well spoiled with him, but it was and still is upsetting. I cry ever once in a while, missing her. After all, I paid for her, I trained her, I took her outside, and I took her to the dog parks every week- none of which he did. But, at least I am still friends with him, so I can ask about her and get pics any time I want. Still... sad.

Luckily I now have Simon! I adopted him from Robin (Hersh's Mom) in February. He was a puppy mill rescue, and he is the best behaved, sweetest dog I've ever had! I adore him.

Last edited:
But u CAN compete with a foster dog. You only need to get a number thru AKC. The only competition you wouldn't be able to compete in is conformation.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant more that I wouldn't have had her long enough to compete. I had her for a little over three months so I was just doing it for fun and to burn off her energy (JRT mix, ha). It was a blast, though, so I want to take a class eventually when I have a dog to compete with. My current two wouldn't be good choices (one has very little interest and can be dog aggressive in new, stressful situations like a class and the other is 12).

Hi Stephanie and welcome to you and your very diverse family ^_^ I am Dianne and I have two retired show dogs. Chicka a black/tan 3yrs and Chase a buff boy also 3 yrs. I also have two Persian sisters 5 yrs. :)

Welcome, Stephanie!

I have a degree from Aurora University where I majored in Biology and Minored in Chemistry. It was a very demanding four years, as I recall.

I have put it to good use as a Systems Analyst/Programmer for insurance companies and state government for the past 37 years.;)

Actually, that education has been more beneficial for my avocation of breeding, raising and exhibiting English Cocker Spaniels (which I share with my wife:) ), due to my special interest in genetics.

Welcome, Stephanie!

I have a degree from Aurora University where I majored in Biology and Minored in Chemistry. It was a very demanding four years, as I recall.

I have put it to good use as a Systems Analyst/Programmer for insurance companies and state government for the past 37 years.;)

Actually, that education has been more beneficial for my avocation of breeding, raising and exhibiting English Cocker Spaniels (which I share with my wife:) ), due to my special interest in genetics.

Yeah, it's not always the easiest major but I love it :). I struggled my way through Organic Chem but things are going better now, ha. I have a huge love for Genetics as well...it was tied with Ecology for my favorite class (so far, anyway, I'm only in my third year). I'm hoping to go into the marine sciences (hopefully reef ecology research). I can see how your background would be useful for breeding dogs! :)

Welcome to you Stephanie and your pack! As others before have said, this is a warm and supportive site. I had no idea when we adopted Winston (Winnie) that we would become part of such terrific community. I am sure Winnie would say hello himself if he weren't busy laying across my feet and snoring.

Hi Stephanie,

I would love more info on the ear wash you used and the homemade raw diet. I have been thinking about doing a homemade raw diet for my baby. I have a 18 month old Black & White Parti Color with Ticking cocker named Max. :) Thank you for all you help. :)

Back