I am at a loss.

Coco's Mom

RIP Coco May 4th 2020
Owned by
1 cocker
Coco seems to have turned into a "Garbage" puppy. Every time we turn our head for a minute he is getting in the garbage. He has figured out how too lift the lid. He put a jug of water on top to make it heavier but, he learned how too push it off.

What can we do too stop this NOW.

I think this has come up before. You could put up a pet gate to keep him out of rooms like the kitchen. Someone suggested placing their garbage inside a kitchen cabinet door. Gabby used to get into the bathroom garbage until we placed it on top of the toilet tank.

I have my kitchen trash under the kitchen sink cabinet. That's not all -- I have the handles bungie corded together so they cant' get in there.

I also went and bought bullet trash cans. The kind with a lid that you have to push a pedal for.. the metal ones. Only one of my little chuckleheads sat there and figured it out.

Cockers ARE garbage hounds. Time to give him some constructive toys to work with. A treat ball that he has to work to get the stuff out of. Keep him busy

I keep my trash can way up high. Otherwise whey would be in it in a flash!:p

I guess I have been pretty lucky with my cockers. None of them ever got into the garbage in the kitchen. Barney got into the waste basket next to our computers. Nothing good in there though. Guess he thought it was a bucket from the Colonial. (hee hee)

Will wait to see what the silly butt Freddie does.

I've been lucky with mine that way. Dylan will jump onto a dresser, unzip a suitcase of a guest and remove tampons from a sealed container but doesn't bother the trash. I guess he doesn't consider it enough of a challange.

All my trash cans are in cupboards or on top of the kitchen stool. STILL - Maxwell got the can off the kitchen stool twice. None of the others have tried...yet!

HA, karen

Dylan sounds like Chip. He can unzip a purse and take out money or anything he wants. He once took someones license. What a goober head. I tell anyone staying here that suitcases can't be on the floor. My dogs have taken stuff out and most of my friends take meds (hahah, drugs), and god forbid they get them. I have them put them in a drawer.

I have thieves. :p

I do not have any problems with Annie and the trash but Daffney she loves to get into the bathroom trash can. Do not have any problems with the kitchen trash but she sure likes the little bathroom trash can. So I have learned when not home to place it up high if trash is in it....she loves to get the paper out of it. I also use baby gates around the house.

HA, karen

Dylan sounds like Chip. He can unzip a purse and take out money or anything he wants. He once took someones license. What a goober head. I tell anyone staying here that suitcases can't be on the floor. My dogs have taken stuff out and most of my friends take meds (hahah, drugs), and god forbid they get them. I have them put them in a drawer.

I have thieves. :p

Someday I'll have to tell you about Dylan, Riley, and my friend Evely's sealed tin of chocolate covered almonds in her zipped suitcase. As a matter of fact, Evelyn is visiting again in about a week. Although she has goldens, she just can't quite get the knack of no food or smellables anywhere Dylan can reach them. Think bears and bear bags. I'm sure I'll have some new stories to share.

Thank you all for your advice. I will try to get some room in my cupboard under the sink or, try a taller g/c. Will keep you updated on what happens as, my garbage in the kitchen and bathroom, ( not only is it disgusting but, embarassing as well).

all mine have always been thieves to one degree or another. Prince and Precious were mainly bathroom hounds, taking tissues out and shredding them all over the house. Bailey is the worst by far, he takes anything and everything he can, and runs with it trying to get us to chase. If we don't, it's anybody's guess what he'll do with it. He's ruined two Blackberry holsters of mine, my wife's cell phone, a college transcript, and countless receipts. Loves to pull the dish cloth off the sink edge, and thinks dirty smelly socks are the best thing ever made. For some reason though none of them ever seem to bother the kitchen trash, just the smaller open top cans in the bedrooms and bath.

All of the trash cans and waste paper baskets are up high at this house too. My Odie used to make quick work of anything he could get his hands on. The others arent as bad as he was, but they still like to rummage through the garbage if they can get to it.
Lacey once stole a $1500 check from a friends purse and played the chase me game with it. Good girl. She knew some bills were due and wanted to help.

And here are some examples of their handiwork....

Last edited:
Mike,

didn't one of yours get on the dresser and eat a $100.00 bill? :lol:

Well.. kinda..
Just posted a picture of ONE incident. Happened twice actually. Lacey and foster pup Mandy shredded a wad of bills TWICE. Pulled them down off the dresser, even when I had them all the way at the back. Dad wasnt too happy.

Mike said:
Lacey once stole a $1500 check from a friends purse and played the chase me game with it. Good girl. She knew some bills were due and wanted to help.
If that was a work check your friend must have been scared out of her wits.

My dogs have always been garbage dogs - at least one of them. So I keep all garbage cans and tempting items up high. Prevention is just easier, in this case.

Back