Levi seems a little down

Kathy

Owned by
2 cockers
Since it has been so long since I have had a puppy I have forgotten a few of the normal things...so hoping all of these goes along with teething.
For the last week Levi has been a little different.

Not quite as rambunctious...still playing,running and chewing lots on toys
Stools are a little softer than normal...not bad just a little softer
His little ears seem to have more in them when I clean them every couple of days...not a lot just a little more on my cotton ball
Has a little tearing...never had tearing at all till the last week
Does not eat his food as hearty...kinda picks on it instead of eating like he has not had a meal in a week
Has spit up a couple of times early morning before feeding time around 5 am (a very small amount of yellow bile,then goes right back to sleep) I have always given him a small handful of food at bedtime as a midnight snack to help prevent this. He has never spit up till the last week.

I watch him like a hawk so the smallest changes in any behavior I notice...guess it is the Mama in me and the fact I worry so much...lol
The "only" things different that has happened in his routine is he is teething and loosing quite a few teeth right now...also he had a rabies shot about 10 days ago...did not effect him in any way right after the shot. I was not a fan of this but Vet said it would be fine since he weighed over 18 pounds.

Last edited:
Like you, I would keep an eye on Levi but I also would suspect that Levi's symptoms are from his teething.

I agree with Karen Chex started teething not long ago as well and when she gets bad I give her ice cubes, she plays with them but will spend more time then not licking and chewing on them and if her teeth aren't too bad I'll give her a bison muscle chew its kinda like raw hide only all natural and way softer. My vet put me on them and so far both seem to help

I hate to say this but the tearing and ear gunk made me think allergies. Could be because Ellie is having an extremely hard time this year. Hoping your little feller perks back up real soon!

More ear gunk and new eye tearing, could be food related. Also could be distichia, which is a fancy word for extra eyelashes. Could be the vaccination too.

Kathy gosh, whatever it is, I hope it clears up right away and Levi is back to his normal little self. Did you call your Vet?, his breeder maybe?

Stephanie...Levi also loves ice cubes and wet frozen wash clothes rolled up like a bone...I have lots of strange dog and horse items in my fridge...lol

Jen I have been through the Distichiasis with a foster Bulldog....she had an extra row of eyelashes growing from the inside of the lid which laid right on her eyes...she was really bad had them on both eyes,top and bottom lids....had to take her to UT for surgery twice as no local Vet preforms it around here.

Jen and Dotty hit it about Levi having allergy symptoms.

I stopped at the Vet on the way home and told her about all Levi's changes and learn some interesting things I wanted to share.
First she said softer stools,not as rambunctious and being more pickier about eating could all go with teething that just like babies...they can feel bad,not eat as well and even run a temperature.
But ears,tearing,and splitting up bile at random was all allergy related...ask if I had changed foods which was no,ask if I had a new bag of food right before this started,which was yes. She told me as sensitive as cockers are always save your last bag and check it with your new bag as food companies can change one or two little things at random which can trigger problems with dogs. (This was something I had "never" thought of doing) also ask if I got it somewhere different...which was yes,I ordered it off line instead of getting it from our small local pet store...she told me different purchases places can come from different plants and even though the same kind of food they can be a little different during processing. She told me toss the last bag of food and also not to buy the very large bags as they can sit on shelves longer before being purchased. So we have a new bag of food from our local pet store and keeping a watch on Levi. He ate his supper much better tonight and looking for more!! Maybe he was trying to tell me something was different...lol Looks like Levi is going to be one of those very sensitive little Cockers.

Sorry for the long post but I felt it did have some good tips from my Vet which I just adore :wub:

Last edited:
Glad that Levi is feeling better...hope it was just a little hiccup from teething. I hope it is not allergies.

Sometimes a dog (or puppy) with a really empty tummy will yak up yellow foamy bile first thing in the morning. I have had it happen to all three of my girls.

If Zoe's ears are bothering her, she will refuse to eat. She is not as food motivated as the other two are.

Thank you Karen and DJ...I am also hoping Levi will not have lots of allergies as he gets older and that teething could be what has trigger some of these little different things with him. I also still feel giving shots can somewhat lower immune and all of this has happen around the same time...shots,teething and a new bag of food. Hopefully he will get back on track as he is set up to be neutered next month.

Glad to hear he's feeling better :) I know allergies aren't any fun, Tanz has seasonal ones and gets reactine spring through fall up here as he looks like he has a constant head cold if I don't. Fingers and paws crossed he keeps getting better :D

TY Stephanie :) Bless Tanz's heart, he sounds like me...spring really gets to me.

My vet thinks Levi's is food related just as Jen said....even though he is on the same food and no change in diet,she feels the new bag could have made the difference. I think that combined with the shots and teething have caused his issues. His are just slight little changes,not sick but just a little different.
I did not think of food as I had not changed him but my vet said she had seen it many times and that some Cockers are so sensitive the slightest change in diet can make a difference with them.

Last edited:
So glad Levi's feeling better! Never knew being a puppy was so much work!!

Glad Levi is feeling better. Allergies are not fun. Fenway does chew is feet quite a bit. Getting ready to order the nutriscan test from Dr Jean Dodds to see what type of food intolerances my babies may have. I am not a fan of vaccinations, I really space them out, following Jean Dodds protocol for that.

I agree 100% Nicole!! I do not like to...but will give all puppy shots,once they are given I may go years before giving any more. Pumping so many shots and wormers in a young pup cannot be a healthy thing in my opinion. My dogs are not around lots of strange dogs,always in the house and never out hunting wild game. I feel very strong they can trigger things in dogs and horses. I have never found a vet that will admit it, as they always feel (or at least say they do) that the good out weights the bad. I even have my minis tested before worming and give very limited shots as they are in such a closed environment with no new horses coming in and out. I will check out Jean Doggs protocol and check out the test for allergies,that sounds very interesting.

Oh yes Deborah,they can be a handful...that's why I waited ten years to raise another one...lol :)

Last edited:
Kathy I'm so glad that Levi is feeling a little better. I hope he's back to himself in no time flat.

I too hope that Levi is his old self in no time, wearing you out with laughter over all his antics.

Kathy the the test for allergies/ food intolerance is nutriscan.com. You just collect saliva and follow the directions. Have not ordered it yet. A little pricey right now. Been on that site several times to read about the test. Jean Dodds is so knowledgable took a seminar by her several years ago, so interesting. Yes hard to find a vet that will work with you. I was going to one when I first got Amelia last year that did not want to follow the protocol even was finding things wrong with her that were not so. I then switched vets. The one I have now is more than happy to work with me.

Nicole...I watched Jean Dodds video tonight about puppy shots....she has more concerns with rabies shot and it's dangers than any of them. Then I googled and read more about them with puppies and I was shocked all the things it can cause,weeks and even months after the shot. Really worries me about Levi as none of these things was going on with him till after the rabies shot. Yes he is teething and I did have a new bag of food from a different supplier all at the same time...but I have big concerns about the Rabies shot.
He is eating much more hearty with the different bag of food I got yesterday and has played non stop tonight...but I sure will be keeping an eye on him. He's had all of his puppy shots now and it will be a very long time before he receives any more. I may never give him another Rabies shot...lol

I have had my vet for over fifteen years and it is very seldom she miss calls anything...she is the one that picked and picked about his food and told me to get a difference bag since it was also new right before all this started happening. It has made a difference in just one day. He has been back to his I am starving mode all day. We will see if it changes his eyes,ears,spitting up and stools. If so she figured out something I would have never thought of...a new bag of food,same brand but from an out of state location.

Last edited:
I hope Levi is feeling better by now, food issues are no fun, I deal with it in both my cats and dogs.

As for vaccinations, more vets are coming on board with the vaccination issues but very slowly. I don't vaccinate after the baby shots, had too many side effects. Chase had seizures from his rabies shot, he can't have any vaccines, we tried at two years and the seizures became worse so no more.

Back