Meet Callie!

And as she grows, it will be replaced. I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to do one, but managed to do it.

Last night, she got me up early-around 11:00. I was NOT looking forward to then getting up around 2:00. I woke up, looked at my clock, nothing from her. I kept waking up and looking at my clock until around 5:30. Then, she got up. So, hopefully she's almost to the point of sleeping all night!

She's settling in quite well. We're still struggling w/the house breaking. I'll take her out and have her out for over an hour at times, bring her in only to have her poop or pee or both. But, we're working on it.

She went canoeing for the first time yesterday. At times she seemed to really enjoy it, at other times, not so much. We didn't go out for long since this was her first time out. We plan to go again this Saturday and will see about being out a bit longer.

We've started taking walks. We don't have a block to walk around. We live on a short, dead end street. I've been walking her down the street, then crossing the road and going down as far as we can the other way. If it wasn't private property, we could walk down to the lake. She's starting to get the idea of walking nicely on the leash. She's met the dog across the street, (Maltese? Little white dog) and the Pomeranian 2 houses down. But, I'm not planning on letting her meet the German Shepherd behind us. We have a 4 ft. fence. I'm seriously considering putting up a 6 ft. fence for the one part of it and putting old 4x4s along the bottom. The house behind us is the only house and sits way back off the road. We're the last house on our street, the house behind has 5 acres. Found out that the German Shepherd went under the fence and grabbed the Pomeranian. The Poms owner looked out his window to see his dog's head in the Shepherd's mouth. Thank God, the Pom wasn't injured.

ETA: Just did some research. I think what I'm going to do is, if she doesn't go when I take her out, as soon as I bring her in, I'm going to crate her. She doesn't go in her crate, and she's very comfortable in it. I'll wait a few minutes, then take her out again and keep doing that until she goes. She's smart, so I don't think it will take long.

Last edited:
Here she is in her life jacket in my canoe. She went from sitting between my feet to hanging over the side and back.

1OJ71sv.jpg

Here she is in her life jacket in my canoe. She went from sitting between my feet to hanging over the side and back.

1OJ71sv.jpg
She is so adorable but clearly has reservations about that boat. :) Is this a chain link or wire fence? You can add a tension wire to the bottom along with fence ties. It’ll will prevent the fence from being pushed out. If it’s a chain link fence you could install a bottom rail. It goes on just like the top rail except you add a fitting called a boulevard between the posts. The bottom rail will seriously strengthen the fence.

This is a good idea. Fi is small and has found that she can squeeze between the fence posts between our fence and the neighbor to the right....So I put up an extra post. Then the goofy neighbor on the other side brought home a 7 month old pitbull type dog who was a very good boy if you were human....other dogs...not so much. Fi thought it was her job to go over and see him. He ended up getting rid of the dog but now she has begun to obsess on finding a way to get out on that side too! She has been trying to squeeze between the fence posts which didn't work so she has been haunting the small gap under the fence.

She will get used to the canoe if she learns that it leads to fun things, she will get over her reservations. Does she get that the life vest is an okay thing? Swimming in it is a good first introduction. My skittish beagle didn't care for hers at all at first but I just kept taking her swimming so she could see that it meant we were going to do fun things together. Now when they see me packing up the life vests, both dogs make happy feet because they know it means good times and new places.

That baby is so precious!

Dizzy she is such a darling! When I was housebreaking Pye, I would keep him on a 6 ft lead attached to me when in the house. So I could learn his signs that he wanted to go, and, so he couldn't sneak somewhere and go. That worked, but, my Pye is a stinker. Sometimes he will go on my carpet if it's too cold or whatever.. and he's 4! LOL

As to the fencing, I have a temporary wire fence around my place, we are not supposed to have fences because we live in a National Park, but that is one rule I do break. My area around my cabin is completely paved with Bouquet River rock. I couldn't figure out how to secure the bottom of my fence. I finally bought some of the extra large chicken wire stakes, that look like rebars and laid them down on the river rock and then zip tied them to the bottom. That solved that problem, now the dogs can't go under.

I figured she would love the boat once she realized it was fun. She is sure a cute baby.

She's getting so big. The hair on her legs and ears is really getting curly. I've tried to brush it some, but she won't hold still for it. She's asleep on my lap now. She no longer fits. Both ends are hanging over.

I also feel bad. I had a dentist appointment this morning-root canal, so I didn't take her w/me to the farm. Instead, I left her in her crate. I figured I'd be home in plenty of time to feed her and let her out. Boy was I wrong! I didn't get home until some time after 1:20. She was starving and had messed in her crate. I just hope it doesn't make any problems for me w/house breaking. She's still OK going in it, so that's good.

Dizzy don't feel bad, sometimes life gets in the way. I'm sure she is fine.

She seems to be fine today. And, she only peed in the house 1x today! I really worked on housebreaking this morning B4 we left. I wasn't expecting her to pee since she had done it earlier, and had just come in after pooping. This evening, I was watching her and realized she needed to go out, so I got her out right away. I'm really enjoying having my puppy.

Wonderful Dizzy. They are really a joy, and, a lot of work lol.

I think she's starting to get it! I noticed that when she pees in the house, it's almost always near the entryway to the kitchen-she can't get out of there. So, I think she knows that she needs to go out, she's just not sure how to tell us. She was whining earlier, so I took her out, and she pooped!

I noticed something today. When hubby is home, she's more likely to pee in the house. Nor will she whine B4 doing anything. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like that?

I noticed something today. When hubby is home, she's more likely to pee in the house. Nor will she whine B4 doing anything. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like that?
I heard of submissive urination but that doesn't sound like the case. Is your husband away a lot? If so, maybe she's claiming territory.

Dizzy sounds like she is more comfortable with you. Maybe have hubby give treats and even feed her for awhile when he's home?

Back