Mickey says Hello!

Barbara

Owned by
1 cocker
*wag*wag*wag*

Mickey just LOVES meeting new people, he's never met a stranger....well, maybe one...the first week we had him....

My husband Isaac and I, just married for no more than a month were just lounging around the house late one night when he came in and asked me to help him figure out what the awful smell coming from the bedroom was. Before I could even make it to the bedroom, I could smell it. The smell so intense, so strong and invasive, I knew it could only be one thing...a skunk.

Poor Mickey! He had no idea what had happened! All he knew was that he saw something that looked like a playmate...I mean, it had to be right? It was black and white just like him...walking around in his yard, Mickey just thought he wanted to play, but BOY was he wrong!! Next thing he knew he was half blind and wet from nose to nub! Well Mickey ran right back through his doggy door to his newfound Mommy and Daddy and began rolling all over the rugs, couches and anything he could find the get this awful smell off of him! Mommy and Daddy spent the next several weeks getting the smell out of the house.

Four months later and Mickey rarely goes outside at night. He'll poke his head out of the doggy door, if he sees that it's dark, he'll wait until morning. At least he learns quickly right?

Hey guys, my name is Barbara and my Cocker's name is Mickey. He's two years old and lived with my husband's parents until we got married, then they gave him to us. He's a bit of a trouble maker, but they never paid him much attention so he just did everything in his puppy power to get all the attention that he could. Now that he's with us, he is now an inside dog and gets all the lovins from Mommy and Daddy a dog could ever want! He's a bit chunky from where Grandma fed him leftovers for every meal, but we go on regular walks and are signed up for beginning obedience training in January. If he does well enough, we'll move on up until we get to agility! I'm way excited! I'm a student finishing up my last year in college and don't have many hobbies. I love nothing more than my Mickey (well...MAYBE the new hubby ;) and have decided to make him my hobby. I think it will be fun for both of us and continue to make him a better doggy and make me a better human!

Welcome Barbara! Poor Mickey. I've heard stories about getting skunked but can only imagine how bad it is.

OH man, that is my worst fear, Coco getting laced by a skunk. In our old house, we had a family of skunks and racoons. Made for some interesting nights in the summer. Sleeping with the window closed was not fun haha.

Welcome to the forum. Its a great place to be. Lots of very knowledgeable people on here. Some are very reputable breeders, some run rescue homes, and we have a few who show their kids as well. All in all, we all love our "fur babies", "wiggles butts", "four legged kids", two legged kids, and husbands or wives. LOL If you have any questions about anything...ask away.

Sorry Coco's Mom here, Kathleen is what humans call me haha, except my two legged kids, I'm Mom of course haha. Coco is an Am Cocker/Poodle x he's 2 years old. We aslo have Lux. She's a Staph Terrier/Border Collie x, she's 4. In the new year we are making our family bigger by 1. Reese, a Black/Tan Am Cocker, born November 7th.

Last edited:
A very warm welcome Barbara, thanks for the GREAT introduction. I'm Robin in Oklahoma with too many cockers to count. Let's see, of my OWN, I have two choco showdogs Hershey, Rona; one sable Asha, (hersh and asha also do obedience), Allee a black/tan who's a finished Champion and was just bred to a Champion choco male, and an 11 1/2 y/o black/white parti who's just a let and retired therapy dog( Hersh, Asha, and Allee took her place as therapy dogs).
Then there's the Rescues:
Simon, a buff boy adopted and waiting to go to his new home to Ashlee on this forum.
Fudge, a choco girl with a cat and glaucoma in one eye.
Lola, a choco/white/tan girl raining for attention.
Minnie Mouse, a choco/white prego and we're all anxiously awaiting delivery.
Molly, a black cockapoo who's hyper.
And two who came back, AJ a cocker/pug mix pup and Franny a senior buff cocker ( sorry all haven't had time to tell ya).
So anyways that's my crew. Welcome again and glad you love your dog so much. Sure you don't need a Minnie mouse to go with your Mickey mouse? LOL.

Hi Barbara, I'm Dianne and that was a great introduction. :) I am glad we have never encountered that situation. Welcome.

Hi Barbara & Mickey! I'm Polly and I live in the forests above Southern California with my hubby Mike and our 4 cockers, Stormy a Chocolate retired Champion from Robin above, and Pepper a black and tan, Pogo a buff and Tunie a blue roan who is blind.. their ages are 7, 6, 11, and way over 14 respectively. I am semi-retired and enjoying myself immensely!

Hi,,,and welcome,,,I am Susan from NC. I have two boys a blk/tan Sam, and Chase who is a Sable/White.

Hi Robin! It's so good to meet you and wow you have a lot of doggies! They all sound so wonderful, especially that Minnie of yours! I'm sure that it's a very exciting time for you. I'm actually a student in college and I was promised a "Minnie" upon my graduation. My husband's family is in LOVE with Disney, we actually went there on our honeymoon and Mickey is indeed named for Mickey Mouse! We may have to work something out upon my graduation in may ;)

Hello Polly! It is wonderful to meet you! I cannot imagine the joy that you must have with soo many little wigglebutts!!

Hi Karen! You're boys are adorable! I've been meaning to ask somebody and I think you would be a good person to ask, what exactly does "Parti" mean? I know it's at least the black and white like your boys...but Mickey is black with some white on his chest, a tiny bit on his paws but that's it. Would he still be considered Parti?

It was pretty terrible for a while. It was about 1 in the morning when it happened so we ran out to Walmart in our pjs (thankfully there aren't too many people at Walmart at 1 in the morning to smell us) and bought tons of candles, lots of cans of air fresheners, laundry detergent, shampooed the dog that night...but when we woke up the smell was even worse. We continued to wash everything, left the windows open, kept spraying, lighting candles and everything. They tell you to put charcoal under your house, it helps soak up or neutralize the smell or something. We baked cinnamon, and finally, the thing that actually worked, spraying everything down with a vinegar/dish soap concoction. The vinegar almost smelled worse than the skunk smell itself but after about 15-20 minutes there was a VERY noticeable difference and you could barely tell that anything had happened.

Tomatoe juice is what I heard works but, you can't really wash your sofa in tomatoe juice.

...but Mickey is black with some white on his chest, a tiny bit on his paws but that's it. Would he still be considered Parti?
He'd be considered a black and since he has some also on his paws, a mismark, which just means he'd be disqualified for his color in a showring.
Parti is any two broken colors with one of those being white and the second color must be at least 10%. They can also have tan points.

a mismark? i'm no expert at any of this so i'm quite curious...what exactly does that mean as far as the purity of his breed?

Oh and Barbara, Minnie Mouse is a mini cocker to boot! Only about 14 pounds at most.
I named her Minnie #1 cuz she's so little and #2 cuz she has a mickey mouse head silhouette on her back when I gave her her haircut after coming to me from the puppy mill they shut down in Kansas.

a mismark? i'm no expert at any of this so i'm quite curious...what exactly does that mean as far as the purity of his breed?

Nothing as far as purity. Just probaby had a parti that was bred to a solid color in his pedigree creating mismarks down the line.

Hi Barbara. I'm Cathy and I have a 4 y/o black cocker name Pumpkin. She has white on her chin and chest.
Hope to see pics.

thanks guys, that makes me sad though...i've thought about doing dog shows before one day so its upsetting that i wouldn't be able to do them with him. minnie sounds adorable, and its just so funny that we have a minnie and a mickey. how old is minnie? mickey is 2yrs old. and if we got a minnie i would want her to be younger than him so i'll have someone to outlive him.

cathy-pumpkin sounds like she looks a lot like mickey! minus the tiny bit of white on his paws

Back