My Pepper's Coat

Polly

Super Moderator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Pepper has been fighting a bacterial skin infection for several years.
I use a shampoo called pyrobin that my vet suggested to use. He didn't give me anything else for Pep. I have used cortizone ointment in the past to combat the itchies for him. I keep a coat on him to protect his back from scratching sores. This year it seems worse. I read the directions over on the shampoo and it says to shampoo 3 times a week leaving the shampoo in coat for 5 to 10 minutes, I have only been shampooing once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for this? I tried listerine, but it made his skin red. I was afraid to continue it. I also tried collidial silver and it didn't seem to help, but, I only used it a couple times. Should I try one of these a little longer and stop the cortizone which I know is a steroid?

No suggestions but I'll tell you Gabby's having a similar problem. He's being treated for a staph skin infection with Simplicef and SulfOxyDex shampoo. He also has seborrhea--this is really a problem now that he's older. Benadryl doesn't work too good on Gabby. I wish I new of something that would calm his skin.

No suggestions but I'll tell you Gabby's having a similar problem. He's being treated for a staph skin infection with Simplicef and SulfOxyDex shampoo. He also has seborrhea--this is really a problem now that he's older. Benadryl doesn't work too good on Gabby. I wish I new of something that would calm his skin.

You and me both Manuel. I don't really want to put Pepper on any antibioitcs if I can help it.

Polly,

I think that I would contact your vet again. Some treatments can make the skin dry and in turn cause more itchiness.

Zoe's skin condition is also a bacterial infection secondary to staph. The vet did a culture and sensitivity test and we changed her antibiotics. Finally after two prescriptions and shaving her down I think that we have it under control...please keep your fingers. The Shampoo that we were given might have soothed her skin but leaving Zoe wet for 5 to 10 minutes is not possible as she would get too chilled (she has problems regulating her body tempature) and it seemed to leave her coat greasy. Tomarrow she is going to get a bath with a new oatmeal shampoo that I hope will help her itches.

Yes DJ.. I am taking both Pepper and Stormy to the vet this coming week. I was just waiting for my schedule so I could make an appointment. I'm so glad to hear that little Zoe seems to be doing better. Is her's all over her body?

Peppers is just on his back. It seems better now, I have stepped up his baths to every 3 days. I only suds up his back and try not to get the rest of him very wet, it's working okay. I have his back shaved down but his leg feathers are long since he doesn't have a breakout anywhere else.

Stormy has to have a form filled out and titers so that his therapy can be renewed.:)

Most of Gabby's infection is in the middle of his back too. Don't you think that's a strange or unlikely place for an infection? :huh:

Yes DJ.. I am taking both Pepper and Stormy to the vet this coming week. I was just waiting for my schedule so I could make an appointment. I'm so glad to hear that little Zoe seems to be doing better. Is her's all over her body?

Peppers is just on his back. It seems better now, I have stepped up his baths to every 3 days. I only suds up his back and try not to get the rest of him very wet, it's working okay. I have his back shaved down but his leg feathers are long since he doesn't have a breakout anywhere else.

Stormy has to have a form filled out and titers so that his therapy can be renewed.:)

Zoe's was on her neck, chest, and front legs for the most part. The sores would weep and that was causing matting, which in turn made the sores underneath larger, they would scab over and created a visious cycle for her. If you took the scab off too soon it would weep worse...aaggg. When the scab finaly did get to come off, it left a bald spot.

I did take Linda's suggestion to clean her feet and nails off. (Thank you Linda)
This may have kept her from re-infecting the areas by transmitting it from one area to another.

I don't know much about this. I just wondered if one of the tar based shampoos would help. I think they are supposed to be good for skin conditions.

DJ yes, I have tried to keep his feet and nails clean. I wash them down with listerine. I also keep a coat on him to protect his back. His doesn't weep at all, it's dry and flaky with red bumps under.

Manuel what does Gabby's look like?

I also use seperate brushes for Pepper and wash them down every day.

karenwalksthedogs said:
I don't know much about this. I just wondered if one of the tar based shampoos would help. I think they are supposed to be good for skin conditions.
Tar based shampoos are supposed to be good for skin conditions. I wonder if there are dog shampoos with this?

Polly said:
Manuel what does Gabby's look like?
Right now it just looks like bald spots. Before that his hair just looked dry and flakey. I scratched it and hair started coming off in tufts. All around the edges was an angry red border. Gabby's eye doctor and his regular vet said it was a classic staph infection.

Tar based shampoos are supposed to be good for skin conditions. I wonder if there are dog shampoos with this?

Right now it just looks like bald spots. Before that his hair just looked dry and flakey. I scratched it and hair started coming off in tufts. All around the edges was an angry red border. Gabby's eye doctor and his regular vet said it was a classic staph infection.

Manuel does the shampoo you have for Gabby have tar in it? Mine for Pep doesn't.

Tar and sulfur helps with flaky, dry, bumpy skin. In my opinion it doesn't help with oily crusties tho.

Yes.. my Peppers shampoo has peroxide in it but no tar. His skin is looking better each day. I have been spraying it with listerine also.^_^

:::Update!:::
My Pep's back is so much better! I have been bathing him every 3 days or so and, leaving the shampoo on for 10 minutes!

Back