Myself and Lucky!

MellyMelandLucky

Hello, everyone. I happen to be new here. My name is Melody, or, Melly. And my little cutie's name is Lucky! (any color experts able to tell me what he looks like?? I know it may be a bit hard cause he's older.)

I adopted Lucky from the local shelter back in July of 2015. He's eight years old and a big, loving jughead! :) he also has a pekepoo fur brother!

But in the matter of seriousness, the shelter had told me his previous owners fed him, gave him water, and kept him on a chain. No more. No interaction. He's got a few scars where he seems to have been attacked by a bigger dog or something. When I got him, his poor little paws were like touching plywood. They're soft now.

They said they gave him up because he kept escaping and I do notice he
chews on his leash when we walk. (Though he is getting better! )

I'll post a few pictures of him. At first we thought he was a cockapoo, but now we're pretty certain he's a cocker spaniel. Meet Lucky.

The big reason I came here was for help and adviceFB_IMG_1442624180148.jpg 20150920_172232.jpg 20150920_191446.jpg with him. Maybe someone's dealt with a similar situation?

He's very friendly. The shelter did a great job of socializing him. But he still gets skittish in the car and seems to get afraid he'll be left all alone. I know it takes time and patience. But he's got a ways to go. He's mostly housetrained

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1442624180148.jpg
    FB_IMG_1442624180148.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20150920_172232.jpg
    20150920_172232.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20150925_100158.jpg
    20150925_100158.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3
Welcome Melly and Lucky! And, what a beautiful boy Lucky is. He's all cocker spaniel. Lucky is a parti color, buff (I think) and white. He's just perfect.
In a way it's good to know something of his background. Helps you to deal with his fears. I can imagine that he has some separation issues considering
his life before you.

My Buff boy had the same life as your Lucky before he came to us.. but he was rescued much earlier in life, he was between 6 months and a year when we rescued him. A kong that I fill with sometimes peanut butter and a few pieces of kibble and then freeze works as a special go away treat.

Love to see pictures of your little poo also.

Welcome!

Welcome Melly and Lucky! And, what a beautiful boy Lucky is. He's all cocker spaniel. Lucky is a parti color, buff (I think) and white. He's just perfect.
In a way it's good to know something of his background. Helps you to deal with his fears. I can imagine that he has some separation issues considering
his life before you.

My Buff boy had the same life as your Lucky before he came to us.. but he was rescued much earlier in life, he was between 6 months and a year when we rescued him. A kong that I fill with sometimes peanut butter and a few pieces of kibble and then freeze works as a special go away treat.

Love to see pictures of your little poo also.

Welcome!
Hehe, this is his fur brother. Sugar Bear. (Because he gives lots of sugars and looks like a little bear!) He's a seven year old pekepoo (pekingese and poodle) and a little ball of energy.

He's always home with Lucky and he sets a good visual example. His being there helps. Especially considering I usually go to work around 3 in the morning.
They squabble like brothers, but can usually be found snuggling together, also. We got Bear from a breeder we knew. She treated her dogs as her pets and let them run and play. Hes a very healthy, muscular boy. Hes been with us since he was a little bitty baby.

20150902_154623.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome. His color looks different in each picture but I'd guess chocolate and white.
Er, my apologies. I kind of suck with pictures. It doesn't help that he seems to have a love hate relationship with the camera. If it helps, this is before his haircut. (A lot of his markings got blurred out by his brown hair.) He's got little light "freckles" on his snout but they're a bit grayed out.

Attachments

• 20150724_194031.jpg
    20150724_194031.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4
  • FB_IMG_1437785385222.jpg
    FB_IMG_1437785385222.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 4
Melly, do you do your own grooming? I noticed the table.

Sugar Bear is a cutie and so is Lucky. He's so lucky to have you. I also am thinking a brown and white or maybe red and white Parti pup.
I dont know abour the red bit. He's not very red. He's more of a grayish light brown/tan in person. Thank you! They're both my cuddle-buddies!

Lucky still sort of looks at Bear like he's crazy when Bear plays, but Luck has started to join in some!

It's nice she let you watch. I learned a lot watching Gina clip Hoshi.

My groomer is great. She can take my old boys and clip around their faces just right to make them look like puppies. <3

Lucky could eventually look very elegant if I let his ears grow out some. And as for Bear, she makes him look like a little teddy-bear! :)

Also, I've noticed he has very light eyes compared to dogs I've had in the past. While most dogs I've had (the exception being Bear with his black eyes,) have had deep browns, Lucky's are light. Nearly a hazel. Do all cockers have light eyes? Juuuust curious!

Also, I've noticed he has very light eyes compared to dogs I've had in the past. While most dogs I've had (the exception being Bear with his black eyes,) have had deep browns, Lucky's are light. Nearly a hazel. Do all cockers have light eyes? Juuuust curious!
I think it's a recessive trait and uncommon. Merles have that color.

QUOTE="manuel, post: 115955, member: 1"]I think it's a recessive trait and uncommon. Merles have that color.[/QUOTE]
Forgive me, but what is a Merle? And just how uncommon is it?? Lucky is my first spaniel, so... I'm gonna have questions.

Forgive me, but what is a Merle? And just how uncommon is it?? Lucky is my first spaniel, so... I'm gonna have questions.
Some cockers are bred to have a peppered coat. This is unnatural in American cocker spaniels and can cause health problems.

Some cockers are bred to have a peppered coat. This is unnatural in American cocker spaniels and can cause health problems.

Oh no. .. the colors are pretty. But I hope Lucky isn't a merle. Cause he's an American cocker. I like my healthy pups!

Back