New Cocker Mom!

Pigeon

About two weeks ago a friend and I donated 11 hours to shave 6 badly matted dogs. 5 very matted and dirty American Cocker Spaniels (not purebred but obviously Spaniels) and a heinously matted Shi Tzu. Pigeon was the 3rd Cocker we did, her coat was so matted and dirty my scissors couldn't cut it free. It took us about 2.5 hours to finally peel this adorable little dog out of one giant mat. As we were grooming we found scars on her head and a large dent in her skull. Turns out she was bitten in the head by another dog as a puppy and it caused her neurological damage. As a result her brain doesn't process light and shadows correctly. I have a vet appointment scheduled with my vet so I'll hopefully have more information on that later. I agreed to foster Pigeon (then called "Little Girl") and brought her home, I was supposed to see what limitations she had because of the damage to her skull. I fell in love immediately and adopted her April 23rd 2015. She now joins my 2 larger mixed breed dogs and my 2 cats.
Cocker Spaniels aren't a very popular breed here so I'm not very familiar with them but so far I'm quite taken. This is by far the smallest dog I've ever owned but she cuddles so well!

Welcome Pigeon's mom. This is so sad. It was a great thing you did adopting her :heart:

Turns out she was bitten in the head by another dog as a puppy and it caused her neurological damage. As a result her brain doesn't process light and shadows correctly.
I'm curious where she came from and how you got her history. Sounds like you had her seen by a vet? Keep us updated please.

Welcome Pigeon's mom. This is so sad. It was a great thing you did adopting her :heart:

I'm curious where she came from and how you got her history. Sounds like you had her seen by a vet? Keep us updated please.

I volunteer my time grooming at my local SPCA, Pigeon was one of 6 dogs surrendered by a man who has 30 of them in a neighbouring community. The previous owner has been diagnosed with Cancer and is surrendering them a few at a time before he passes. Pigeon was seen by the vet that spayed her for the spca but she will see my vet May 4th so I can get a full report on her!

Welcome to you and to Pigeon. She is lovely. I'm sure your Vet can answer some of your questions for you. Poor little one. She is a lovely black and tan. She looks like she's pure American cocker to me by that one picture.

Welcome to you and to Pigeon. She is lovely. I'm sure your Vet can answer some of your questions for you. Poor little one. She is a lovely black and tan. She looks like she's pure American cocker to me by that one picture.

I know for sure she isn't papered, the only reason I thought mixed is because she's very small, as soon as I figure out how to attach pics from my iPhone I'll share more :) I'm absolutely in love with her!! I really like my vet so I'm sure he will give me a complete run down on her general health.

When you can post some pictures then maybe we can tell easier. Adult cockers can range in weight.. a female can be a small as 13 pounds.

Figured out how to get pictures up!! Feeling pretty savvy lol. I will have her weight after the vet trip and hopefully will be able to get her height soon.

She's lovely! I think she's pure, in the second to the last shot her body looks a little long but, maybe that's the camera angle?? Not sure. It will be interesting to see what others think.

Oh my gosh, she is adorable. If she is not purebred, I would say that the cocker gene are winning. Her coat looks pretty good in the pictures, shiney and smooth.
Thank you for taking her in, your heart will be rewarded many times over.
I am so looking forward to hearing more about Pigeon.

She is a lovely Black and Tan . My Chcka is Black and Tan also. Pigeon does not look that small, Chicka was only 17 lbs when we got her, I have fattened her up a bit☺️She still looks like a puppy and she is 7.
Welcome

Back