rescue New here,just adopted my first cocker spaniel!

Newmommie

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi everyone! I'm kinda glad this is a new forum so I had a chance to read the threads.

I adopted a young female Cocker Spaniel yesterday. She's white with liver freckles. Not sure of her age,and no history except she had been spayed.

Here's a link to her pic & how her life was until she found her "forever" home :

http://www.waifanimals.org/dogs_display.asp?id=1577

I'm busy doing research of course,was actually looking for a mutt but small female dogs go QUICKLY in all the local shelters. I was the first one there to get her when the shelter opened.

I also have a 110# mutt adopted nearly 3 yrs ago. And a cat. So far big & little dog are doing OK. I named the spaniel "Buttons" and the big dog is "Rags". Buttons has not shown submission once to Rags! She likes his favorite toy. She's just very sweet & rarely barks.

I'm glad I found out about the body odor,I thought they had used nasty smelling shampoo during grooming! Now that I know different I'm getting used to it.

I will be seeking advice & information I'm sure. And will be happy to help anyone else out if I possibly can.

By the way I live in WA state also.

Thanks for setting up a nice forum & I look forward to getting to know you & your precious pets.

Congrats on your new Cocker Spaniel. What did you name her? I'm a little confused about the body odor comment. My two cockers don't have a body odor. Is she having a skin problem? Could that be causing an odor?

Welcome!
Buttons is a little doll. She is a parti cocker I believe, not seeing all of her in the picture. I can't wait to see more pictures of her and of rags.

We will help you all we can. I'm Polly and hubby Michael and I have 4 cockers, Pepper, Pogo, Petunia and Stormy.

Hi and congrats on your new addition! Buttons looks adorable. Does she still have the punk hairdo going on? :naughty:

Its not normal for the body odor. My guess is that it could be either a skin problem, or she is perhaps detoxing from her previous diet of whatever it was that she was eating. Probably garbage...

If you havent already done so, my suggestion would be to take her to your vet for a quick checkup and to establish a baseline on everything.

Best of luck!

Aw she is so cute - welcome to the group. You have found the right place we have lots of folks here that have good info on cockers.

Congrats! HA, check out that hair on her head. AND, she does look pretty in pink. Cockers don't have an odor -- really, it could be her ears, or her skin healing, but try to keep her on a diet that doesn't have any icky things in there like chemicals and too many grains. That can make her ears flair up.

Yeah, she's a buff & white parti girl. Parti means part white.

Ok I lied, they do have a little odor, we call it popcorn feet. Honest, their piggies smell a little bit like popcorn (or fritos)

Congratulations on your newest family member. Got to love the hair do.....she is a pretty little thing.

Has she been to your vet yet? None of my girls has a bad odor, unless you count when I give Maggie lamb. There are many thinks that can cause body odor: eyes, ears, skin problems, the folds around her mouth or even the infection she had on her foot.

What kind of food are you feeding her currently? And Linda is right my girls have frito feet also.

Buttons is adorable!! I like her lil fro in the pic :) Welcome to the forum!

Welcome, Newmommie and Buttons. Buttons is adorable. She has the Cyndi Lauper thing going. My cocker spaniel Gabby is older and now has skin problems but he never used to smell bad. I used to tell people he smelled nice like hay. He didn't have the usual doggie smell I've experienced before. The next time you take Buttons into the vet mention the odor problem so he/she can look into it.

Fostermom said:
Ok I lied, they do have a little odor, we call it popcorn feet. Honest, their piggies smell a little bit like popcorn (or fritos).

That's cute.

Research-odor

Hi all & we thank you for the warm welcome! Of course I don't have the link to the research that mentioned some spaniels have a strange odor. I'm either getting used to it or it's diminishing already.

She was being feed Kirkland food,now she's totally on VF turkey & rice,no junk. She loves this food & rejected the Kirkland I tried mixing the first day.

She had on the large sweater when I got her & I didn't even remove it to see her skin until we got her home. She has a small red "pimple" and she's shaved so close there's some redness on her tummy. I will be taking her for a complete vet check & a rabies shot soon.

She is scratching,but I'd scratch too if I had new hair growing out. I've found that gluten free dog food has helped the big dog & he no longer scratches. Pricey stuff but cheaper than vet bills eh?

I also wonder if she's a "designer dog",since she seems so small? Quite likely from a "puppy mill" since we just had a huge bust of those awful places in my area. (I'm thinking people will dump those dogs to avoid prosecution?) I sincerely hope they bust every single one of those places!

She's been housetrained,something of concern the first day but she wasn't walked before we left the shelter & it was over an hour dirve to get home. Yesterday she was taken out every hour & she did her thing just fine. Big relief there cause I haven't had to housetrain a dog in over 35 yrs! (Ha,now I'm giving away my age......);)

Now about those ears,I've always had success with a solution of vinegar/warm water drops. I use it at the first sign of head shaking with my big dog. The vinegar kills any bacteria,and my vet approved this method.

My history with dogs the past 12 yrs is $$ needed for tumors,cancer,etc. We had a Bouvier,she died of cancer. Had a terrier mix,same thing. Beginning to wonder if it's where we live since just about every house has also lost a person to cancer!

I don't allow any sprays to be used on the property now.

Well I don't mean to write a book! I do hope she works out cause she's so sweet & FUNNY. Just looking at her makes me laugh. I've had to close doors & remove trash cans,not used to this......she can sure jump too! I love that she seldom barks.

Thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like a keeper to me. Cockers love to shred paper.. specially tissues. And yep, some have springs in their paws. Sounds like you're going a great job with her. What is VF food? Not sure I recognize that one.

Would love to see more pictures of her.

VF=veternarian formulated

Bought the Wellness Core food at first,but this is a "tad" cheaper & big dog doesn't scratch & I'm convinced little dog will eat anything she can get her mouth on! Wow is she quick! Grabbed a bag of deli meat off the counter before I could blink an eye. Like having a toddler around.

Hmmm,yes I've noticed no Kleenex is safe around her,nor dryer sheets,books.....this is all new to me! We lucked out with big dog,he has never had any "issues" except terrified of any leash. Can only guess what his life was like before spending 6 mos in a shelter.

I see both dogs as survivor's & worth whatever it takes to give them a home. For that matter the cat was a rescue also.;)

Picture's will have to wait,I've never learned how to use my digital camera! Maybe this will give me the incentive?

Newmommie said:
Bought the Wellness Core food at first,but this is a "tad" cheaper & big dog doesn't scratch & I'm convinced little dog will eat anything she can get her mouth on! Wow is she quick! Grabbed a bag of deli meat off the counter before I could blink an eye. Like having a toddler around.
She looks too tiny to reach the counter?! :blink:

Hehe I have a counter grazer too! His name is pogo for a reason!
Can't wait for you to get the hang of your camera so we can see pictures!

Grace (my female) is not a big girl, and she can jump high enough to grab stuff off the BACK of the counter!!!!! It has little to do with size Manuel, and more to do with will LOL

Counters,etc.

For some reason I can't post on quick reply even if I try to hit the bold. Have same issue on some other vbulletin sites.....any idea why? I need bold for my bad eyesight,oh well.

Buttons is definitely a pogo! When I named her I didn't know her well,now I can think of several appropriate names! Frisbee head comes to mind. Sweetness. Mum (she's soooo quiet!)

Big dog has never done more than sniff @ countertops,little dog tried to get inside the dishwasher yesterday. She does seem small but I came up with 13" when tried to measure her. She can dance well,however needs to learn how to sit. She's coming when called (inside the house-no way is she gonna be free outside yet).

Potty outside is going alot better than I anticipated,tells me she did have a owner @ one time that cared.

She snores which surprised me somewhat. She sleeps on the sofa or big dog's bed. Tried to chew my heating pad cord! Seems to recognize the word NO just fine,and I know better than to raise my voice with her. I give her lots of praise.

She will not touch any toy when it's on the ground outside. Inside she loves the most noisy squeeky of course & can she make a racket! Big dog never liked Kong toys so I might get Buttons one & see if she can have that for her very own.

I see I have alot more reading here than I had a first thought,my brain doesn't always work too well!;) I'm trying to make a list of the members & their dogs so I can participate more on other threads......

glad I found this site! Seems to be active & that's good.

They now have Kongs with squeakers inside, as well as the Wubba toys (Kongs covered in tough nylon or sherpa fleece). If she's a fan of Kongs and squeakies, those might become favourites of hers.

Hehe I have a counter grazer too! His name is pogo for a reason!
Can't wait for you to get the hang of your camera so we can see pictures!

Yeah I second that Hannah can jump to the back of the couch from the floor, scared my sister silly when she did it, I think that in here prior life she was a cat.

Hannah has always loved to make confetti. She is very sad that I switched to cloth napkins at the table...prior to that she would snatch a napkin right off your lap and the closer you get to taking it away from her the faster she shredds...I could lend her out to offices free shredding of documents.

Back