rescue New here,just adopted my first cocker spaniel!

Newmommie said:
For some reason I can't post on quick reply even if I try to hit the bold. Have same issue on some other vbulletin sites.....any idea why? I need bold for my bad eyesight,oh well.
Poor thing needs to learn not to chew on electrical cords. To quick reply click the 3rd button on the bottom of each post--you'll see 1) a "Quote" button then 2) another button with quotation marks and a plus sign then 3) a third button with a feather and paper--that's the quick reply button.

DJ's Three said:
Hannah has always loved to make confetti. She is very sad that I switched to cloth napkins at the table...prior to that she would snatch a napkin right off your lap and the closer you get to taking it away from her the faster she shredds...I could lend her out to offices free shredding of documents.
Gabby's another shredder--jeans, jackets, anything worth value.

Thanks! I prefer quick reply....

Well so far this morning she has taken a flying leap off the sofa into thin air since I was moving the end table to retrieve a toy. And she managed to remove a tack from a sweater box here in the office! And went right back for another tack!

She can leap rather amazingly! Yesterday she had 2 long walks in the woods (first time she's gone that far). So pretty much slept all day,this morning she seems in puppy mode.

I'm pleased to say not even one piddle in the house yesterday. Course I do take her outside alot,and trying to determine her "signal" she needs to go.

My cat ventured inside twice yesterday so that's a good sign. (She has a cat window & Buttons cannot reach it.....right?!!!!)

Some dogs don't do a great job of signalling, so you may just need to get her on a schedule. My dogs don't really ask to go out (or tell me), they just wait until I take them outside. The two adults are super reliable . . . but my 11 month old puppy is horrible and lazy. He will just pee wherever if I don't get him outside. With him a lot of it is marking.

I'm sure the cat will get used to the dog . . . it just takes time. Sounds like she's a pretty typical Cocker :) Hope the ears are clearing up for you!

Is there anyway to determine the age of a rescue dog? Vet old us the big dog will always be a big puppy. He's some kind of shepard mix.

Now once again I have adopted a dog not knowing one thing about the background! I'm hoping she has a long life ahead.

I did use the vinegar/water solution & there's much less head shaking going on today,also the smell is diminishing. I will keep track on a calendar,thinking at least twice per week? I prefer to ease into anything unpleasant for her/me. I made the mistake of trying to hold her on her side! HA......my dog book shows plain & simple to have them sitting up & just lift the ear flap.

She seems to love having her little belly rubbed.

I have always had rescues, always.. but then in November Robin trusted me with her boy Stormy. He's a retired show boy. He's going to be six next month. Knowing his exact age has made me realize that more than likely my rescues when the pounds guessed their age, they always "guessed" low.. most of my dogs were supposed to be 18 months to 2 years when I adopted them. I do understand, a younger dog is easier to re-home most of the times. But seeing Stormy and how young he looks and acts, makes me wonder. I lost 3 very close together starting around this time last year. Maybe they were older then I thought..

Polly, I wonder if poor health plays into a dog's estimated age? I know some my patients appear much older than they actually are due to disease or malnutrition.

Well I haven't checked the teeth thoroughly yet to see if I can "guess" an age. I will say she's VERY lively & full of energy. No hesitation with stairs & she's on speed walk for 15 min everyday (plus alot of other walking).

However,the terrier mix we had put down @ age of 16yr was lively & active right up until the end. She just had no use for toys from age of about 12 on.

Yes Manuel I'm sure you are right about poor health aging the rescues at times. Also, they are pack animals and will not always show discomfort till it's to late, a sign of weakness sometimes, but, we do get to know our own animals very well and can spot when they don't feel well.

New Mommie you are so right about them seeming well until the end it seems to me. I only had one that I knew was failing.. my Bunkie, he had health issues most of his short life. My other two went very fast, my Pookie was 19 (ish) when we lost her and it was sudden. She was in good health till her stroke.

Well I have zero confidence in vets & dog cancer. Our Bouvier had several skin tumors removed,lots of tests & high cost vet food trying to discover why no energy (she was only 8yr old). I asked if she could possibly have cancer inside her,told no way! She fell down on a walk in the woods & at 100# I couldn't lift her,I went running back to the house screaming for help. Poor devoted girl had gotten up & was walking back to me. We had her put down the next day. She was the dog that got me devoted to dogs for the first time in my entire life!

Little terrier mix was a ball of energy,then one day she couldn't get up-rushed her to the vet,he kept her over the weekend & told us it wasn't good,she was old,etc. By Monday morning she was bouncing inside the crate & her old self. So we had a few more weeks with her. Vet called & said she had a big tumor (so he must have done an autopsy?

I felt soooo bad we didn't know!

Now here I am taking a chance on yet another dog. I guess we just have to cherish the good times & get through the bad.

Maybe someday I'll tell the story of how we ended up with a 110# mutt that nobody would adopt!

I'm sorry to hear about your 2 dogs. Normally, cancer symptoms are gradual and worsen over time.

My best friend, also a cocker owner, first cocker had cancer.

I can understand your feelings about vets. It's sometimes hard to find a vet that you can build a relationship with, one to trust. I had the same vet for 20 years.. his name was Dr. Collette, he retired several years ago to run his "other business" at the early age of 82.. he invented Missing Link and decided to slow down to run that. I didn't especially like the vet that took over his pratice, and had moved to the forest which was 45 minutes away.. so I started at the clinic not to far from us.. I finally found a vet there that I liked. Have been going there now for about 4 years. That vet saw us thru the terrible start of last year. I think it's important that we do have a relationship with a vet, that will know our dogs and see the tiny changes in them, mine all go now every other month for nails, I'm trying to tip the nails in between.. I know the vet techs, and they will always notify me or my vet when they see something that I may miss going on with my dogs. LOL I don't think I miss much with them.. I look each one over very carefully when I groom them.

first my apologies to everyone for writing about things better left to my memories.

Did find a new vet & he's wonderful. Helps to have a personal rapport I think. He's in our neighborhood & really goes out of his way to connect with us.

first my apologies to everyone for writing about things better left to my memories.

Did find a new vet & he's wonderful. Helps to have a personal rapport I think. He's in our neighborhood & really goes out of his way to connect with us.

NewMommie, we understand, please read the stickies on board behavior if you haven't yet. We don't have many rules, but, the ones we have are important. We must always remember that this board is available for children of all ages.:)

BTW, what is your first name if you don't mind? So we can address you by your name ^_^

The terrier was named Pepper,I didn't want to make comparison's.....but of course that happens anyways!

Buttons must be feeling at home.....

Yesterday she destroyed my heating pad. This morning she managed to chew her new leash nearly in half. For the life of me I can't figure out where she's getting the Kleenex,I just follow the trail.....

To calm her down (she ignored the toys), I came to my computer so she'd go right into her crate & behave for awhile. She wants the cat's food in the worse way & I'm not so sure she won't figure out some way to get to it & then right on out the cat window!

Big dog hid every single toy last night (under the deck), so today I got 2 of them back. But last night I was desperate for play toys so found some hard rubber toys I had in my shop.....thinking NO way can she chew these up! Yeah right,off went the bunny nose,off came the bear's ear-into the trash they go.

Button's will be getting a small Kong & I hope that will keep her amused for more than a few seconds.

Since I do have a large shop area I'm wondering about some type of agility course? Anything to wear off all this energy she has in the evening (when it's too dark/cold for another long walk). Any thoughts on that would be appreciated. Housemate is now claiming she must be very young.....then I reminded him the terrier didn't slow down until she was about 12yr old!;)

Back