New mom

Paula N.

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I just picked up our 11.5 week old cocker spaniel last Friday night. He is the first dog for us and we are quickly getting used to being the parents of a new puppy!

He is pretty good and has gotten the hang of doing his business outside. The only time he makes a mistake inside is if we are not quick enough to get him outside with his leash on or if we miss his warning signs. He is really good at night in his crate having whined the first night and less and less every night to now where he is perfect! He loves our two cats but one cat doesn't know what to think of him yet while the other cat is more tolerable.

We gave him some liver treats last night in order for me to try to trim the fur around his ears but he really didn't like it at all, the trimming that is...he loved the liver treats! This morning, however, his treats didn't seem to love him and we could hear his belly gurgling just about across the room.

I'm glad I found this forum because I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as the days go by.

Cheers,
Paula

Welcome Paula!
Welcome to the world of cockers! You will love watching your baby grow and develop. We will all be here for you! There are many very knowledgable people on My Cocker Spaniel forum.. several here with new pups so you can share the "love" ^_^

I'm Polly, I live in the Forest above Los Angeles with hubby Michael and our 4 cockers.. Welcome to the fold! And, we need pictures!!!

You can read about all of us on the Introductions thread, and also in the blogs. Kelly has written many wonderful posts about training and grooming so please feel free to read them. We have every kind of cocker lover here so join the fun!

Welcome Paula and congratulations on your new puppy. If you think the liver treats are upsetting his stomach try giving him his kibble as a treat instead. We are looking forward to seeing your puppy's pictures. How did you find us? I'm glad to have more neighbors to our north as members. I have to 2 cocker spaniels named Gabby (14+yrs) and Hoshiko (4mos). You can read about them on their Cocker Profiles.

Paula,

Congrats on your new puppy and welcome to the board.

So tell us about yor new little bundle of joy. What color? His name? Did you get him from a breeder? Rescue.

I am DJ from Washington State. Loving my three cocker girls...pictures in album...Hannah, Maggie and Zoe'.

You will find that this is a great board, helpful, kind and caring.

Welcome Paula! Welcome to the wonderful world of puppy parenting and dog ownership :) May your puppy bring you many years of joy and happiness!

Welcome to the group. I am new here too and everybody has been so welcoming. Can't wait to hear more stories about your boy.

Thanks for the welcomes! I tried to post earlier this morning so if this comes up a 2nd time, I apologize. Angus is 12 weeks old today and he is red with a bit of white and freckles on his nose. We got him from a breeder but had to wait an extra week to get him because one of his littermates that went home a day before we were supposed to get him vomited twice and her vet said she had parvo. However, she was able to go home 3 days later. Our breeder took the remaining 3 pups to her vet and all 3 tested negative. Today is also the end of our first week with him. He was checked out by our vet last Saturday but has his 2nd shots booked for this afternoon.

I've added a picture of him that our breeder took at Easter as my profile picture and will try to get my husband to upload some pictures of Angus at home with us this weekend. Should I open an album or can I post the pics directly in my posts/replies?

Manuel, I'm not sure how I came across this site yesterday, I just googled some combination of cocker spaniel and came up with this.

I do have a couple of questions though. I know we are supposed to keep the puppy off the grass until his 2nd shots but how soon afterwards can we let him on the grass? He just seems to love the grass and certainly doesn't understand why we take him off of it when he is having such fun squirming around on his belly. The 2nd question I have is about trimming his ears. I know he will be prone to ear infections and that I should keep the fur trimmed on the inside of his ears. Does that mean the fur directly around his ear canal? I tried trimming it the other night with scissors and he definitely did not like it!

Welcome Paula.

My name is Carol and I'm mom to 3 year old American cocker Pluto and 4 month old English cocker Woody.

Arn't puppies wonderful? They make you laugh, tear your heart out and want to make you tear your hair out at the same time.

Congratulations on your new fella. I hope he gives you as much love and pleasure as our two have given us.

Paula, I apologize for the delay. We've started moderating the posts of new members. You should be able to post without approval soon. I'm glad Angus didn't have parvo. It's unfortunate that one of his litter mates became infected.

Paula N. said:
I've added a picture of him that our breeder took at Easter as my profile picture and will try to get my husband to upload some pictures of Angus at home with us this weekend. Should I open an album or can I post the pics directly in my posts/replies?
You can choose either. It's up to you.

Paula N. said:
I do have a couple of questions though. I know we are supposed to keep the puppy off the grass until his 2nd shots but how soon afterwards can we let him on the grass? He just seems to love the grass and certainly doesn't understand why we take him off of it when he is having such fun squirming around on his belly.
I'm not sure about that. I'm sure someone else can answer your question.

Paula N. said:
The 2nd question I have is about trimming his ears. I know he will be prone to ear infections and that I should keep the fur trimmed on the inside of his ears. Does that mean the fur directly around his ear canal? I tried trimming it the other night with scissors and he definitely did not like it!
It would be easier to use an electric trimmer. You're trimming the hair on the inside of the ear flap--that will remove hair away from the ear canal. See Kelly's post in the grooming section for doing ears.

Welcome Paula. Congrats on the new baby.

I am Mom to Herbie, Murphy, Barney and Freddie. All four babies are adopted from rescues. Freddie is our youngest. We haven't had a baby in quite some time so it was interesting getting use to it.

You will love it here. Everyone is great and helpful. We are like one big family.

Welcome Paula and Angus. It's great having a puppy. I'm so jealous. I hope our next furbaby is a puppy.

Welcome Paula and Angus. You will love this board with such great people.

Welcome Paula & Angus! I am Betty & mom to 5 cocker spaniels. I'm glad that Angus didn't have parvo, sorry one of his littermates did. Looking forward to getting to know you & Angus.

Back