New Puppy

Valerie B

Owned by
1 cocker
I have never owned a dog before but always wanted a Cocker. I just got her today and she is 5 weeks old. She seems to be panting an awful lot, especially in her sleep, and feels warm to me. I don't know what normal behavior is for a new puppy on her first day home. Any suggestions please?

It's very hard to say without more information. Is she eating, drinking, Pottying and pooing ok? It may be that she's just panting due to being hot.

I must say though that 5 weeks is awfully young to be taken away from the momma dog. Pups shouldn't be separated until at least 6 weeks but ideally at 8-9 weeks. There's a number of socialization and temperament skills to be learned from the mom dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought she was a little young too but the person I bought her from said she took her to the vet yesterday and the vet said she could be separated from her mom. She is eating and drinkin ok and pooing and going to the bathroom normally (not runny or anything) she seems pretty tired but she had a two hour car ride home today plus meeting Dinah (my cat) and seeing her new house. I guess I could be paranoid but I want to be better safe than sorry since I am already super attached to her. I made her an appoinment for June 14 with her vet.

I know how you feel. When we got Hoshi his breathing while sleeping worried me. He was breathing awfully fast. I couldn't remember how my other cocker spaniel slept when he was a puppy. Nothing else seemed to be wrong. I know puppies' heart rate and breathing is much faster than an adult dog. Nothing become of it. If everything else seems okay I would ask your vet over the phone. A breeder could tell you more about what's normal for a puppy. I'm not sure.

Sounds like you're on the right track as far as wanting to do the right thing and going to the vet. She's sleeping so much because she's so young and an itty bitty baby.
Question. Did she get her first set of shots on that vet visit? Hope so and if not, you need to get it ASAP preferably before the 14th as she's super succeptible to parvo, etc. She also should have been wormed.
If you definately can't get in til the 14th, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take her off your property or to meet other dogs or let other people touch her (especially without first sanitizing their hands.) Being so young diseases will hit her fast and hard.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the advice. I can try and get her in before the 14th. She has been wormed and had one parvo vaccine, at least thats what I was told. I hope they are right. She seems fine otherwise, she even had a healthy appetite when I read that she may be too anxious to eat.

Welcome Valerie! Good luck with your baby. Your little girl sounds wonderful. You are on the right track finding us here and asking the experts. Robin knows her stuff! As do many here on our forum. Have you named her? Is she a buff cocker? I'm Mom to 4, 3 rescues and a retired show boy from Robin, his name is Stormy. My others are Pepper, Petunia and Pogo.

Welcome! What a very little baby you have. I also have a puppy, Farley is a rescue from Robin but he's now 5 months old. What's your puppy's name?

Thank You! She looks more red than buff with one white spot on her nose and chest. I will post a picture as soon as I can. I have named her Scarlett. She also did really well through her first night, only waking me up twice and calming down quickly. My husband and I already love her to death :). I'm hoping down the road we can get at least one more Cocker, I think getting a rescue is a great way to go!

She's adorable. :)
Although she has one booster, I still wouldn't take her from your property until all her shots are finished. Puppies are very susceptible to catching things.

Thank you! I am so glad I found this site. I won't let her leave the yard or get around any other dogs, I have a cat should they be kept apart? Also, I know this may sound stupid, but can I bathe her with baby shampoo until she is old enough for puppy shampoo?

Welcome Valerie and Scarlett! I don't think the cat should be an issue, unless it's an outdoor cat. Then you may need to keep them apart. I'm not 100% sure about that, but your vet will know.

If you buy a good puppy shampoo that should be gentle enough for Scarlett. You can also use baby shampoo. Just keep the shampoo away from her eyes and she'll be fine.

Ok thanks, I bought puppy shampoo (the oatmeal kind) but it says not to use until 8 weeks so I'll use baby shampoo until then. Dinah is an indoor cat thats never been outside and is up to date on all of her shots. The vet said it should be ok.

Shes such a cutie!! And I'm so glad you came to this site. You will get very good advice from people here. They are very knowledgeable about cockers, and we all just love them. Looks like you have a new bunch of godparents for Scarlett here!!!

I feel very blessed to have found this site and gotten so much support from everyone!

Welcome Valerie and Scarlett! Make sure water doesn't go in here ears when you bath her.
Scarlett is beautiful. I would take her to the vet sooner too.

Back