New to the forum

Hello! I'm Paige and I live in an apartment in Michigan with my two cockers name Apollo and Artemis "Missy". Welcome to the forum.

Hi All. I have a cocker spaniel (English). I have a couple of questions 1. I have a Golden or Red Cocker Spaniel and since having him I happened to read a few articles which seem to suggest that the cocker rage is more common with the golden cocker spaniels, is that true? Should i be worried. He has been with us for 3 months now and is 4 months old and is a very sweet dog. No complains at all, which brings me to my second question 2. He loves to tear apart any paper that he can lay his hands on. Need desperately to stop this. All my mail ends up torn by him if I happen to be away from the house.

Thanks to all,

Abraham

Hi Abraham, You might start a new thread to introduce yourself, so your questions can get answered. New folks are moderated for a few days, to keep our forum tidy and spam free. Thanks for understanding. My belief is that posts with pictures get answered sooner, but that may only be an impression ;-D

My personal belief is that cocker rage is not that common. Certainly, the American breed went through some dark times from overbreeding by the money-grubbing and unscrupulous. There are others here more knowledgable about our English cousins. If you got your pup at only a month old, I'd say he was taken too young, but that doesn't mean the mail-eating can't be fixed with some training.

Hi Abraham,
My name is Nicole I have 2 American cockers Fenway and Amelia. I am not concerned about paper eating. Amelia does that. With her it is because she is bored. She gets bored quickly, she is a very smart dog. I taught her "drop it". She does drop it, did not take her long to learn. I would remove the magazines from your dog's reach first of all. When Amelia reads the magazines, I start practicing her obedience , that helps to redirect her. As for rage, I am not to concerned about it. As long as they are well socialized, trained etc. Puppy kindergarten is great. Temperament is also hereditary. If the parents had good temperaments the puppies usually do as well. Sometimes that "rage" that you speak about could be do to hypothyroidism. Good luck with your puppy.

mail eating

Hey deborah,

I tried a new thread and it wont work, now I know why.

Glad to hear thereia nothing to be worried about.

Cheers
Abraham

Hi All. I have a cocker spaniel (English). I have a couple of questions 1. I have a Golden or Red Cocker Spaniel and since having him I happened to read a few articles which seem to suggest that the cocker rage is more common with the golden cocker spaniels, is that true? Should i be worried. He has been with us for 3 months now and is 4 months old and is a very sweet dog. No complains at all, which brings me to my second question 2. He loves to tear apart any paper that he can lay his hands on. Need desperately to stop this. All my mail ends up torn by him if I happen to be away from the house.

Thanks to all,

Abraham

Abraham,

Both of mine find absolute bliss in destroying paper products. So now we put papers up high and our trash cans are in a closet or under a sink.

Also teaching "drop it!" Is a useful command.

Back