Old fashion cockers vs. current breed standards

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
Since we were discussing the origin of cocker spaniels, I've been dying to bring up this topic ever since we brought Hoshi home. There is so much difference in appearance between Hoshi and Gabby. I like to think Gabby is the old fashioned cocker type. The most noticeable difference between the 2 is their muzzles. Gabby has a prominent muzzle where's Hoshi's is considerably shorter. Their body type is different too. Gabby has a stout short build that's low to the ground. Hoshi has longer legs on a slender frame. So when did this change in standards take place?

Old fashioned cocker
red_brucie.gif

Current breed standard

Manuel,
The change in Cockers appearance has been a gradual process over decades. Even though Gabby is 'only' 10 or so, his type reflects cockers of the 40's or 50's, only because there are breeders that perpetuate that type.
Folks that are exhibitors find traits that they prefer and selectively breed to attain them as dominant.
Also compare Gabby as a young dog....look at pictures of him at the same age as Hoshi is now. Maybe his physical appearance at the same age is not that far off...

The black and white picture looks like an English cocker to me. I thought the English cocker and American cocker were lumped together for a long time and only in the past 40/50 years were they separated.

My Odie had a long snout like an English cocker, but his papers said he was an American cocker.

Maybe Mark can shed some light on this.

Attachments

• Odie.jpg
    Odie.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 114
What an interesting thread! Thanks Manuel for starting it. Carol, your Odie was a lovely boy. He does look more English to me, he reminds me of my Pookie who had that look. Right now my cockers vary.. of course Stormy has the shorter snout as does Petunia and Pogo, my Pepper's is longer, but they all have the longer legs and slender shape. But, all of my dogs thru the years have been rescues with Stormy as the exception so I can't say much about their background or breeding. I have loved them all.
^_^

The black and white picture looks like an English cocker to me. I thought the English cocker and American cocker were lumped together for a long time and only in the past 40/50 years were they separated.

My Odie had a long snout like an English cocker, but his papers said he was an American cocker.

Maybe Mark can shed some light on this.

I recognize the b/w photo as Red Brucie, who was whelped June 8, 1921, so 25 years before the actual split into two Cocker breeds was accepted by both the American Kennel Club and the Kennel Club (of the United Kingdom).

As I stated in an earlier post in the "bred to" thread, Red Brucie appears in pedigrees of many dogs now recognized as representing two distinct Cocker breeds.

Something that everyone ought to be aware of is that in the US the breeds are referred to as the Cocker Spaniel and the English Cocker Spaniel.

In almost all other countries of the world, the naming is reversed, that is to say the English Cocker Spaniel becomes the Cocker Spaniel and our Cocker Spaniel becomes the American Cocker Spaniel. The notable exception is, I believe, Canada where each breed name is prefixed with the country of "origin" (at least all of the Canadians with whom I have spoken don't leave the identity of a dog to chance. Is that correct Canadian members?)

Confusing? Well there have been some "goof-ups" at the AKC when accepting a Cocker brought in from overseas, especially when hunting enthusiasts have imported dogs.

The foreign registry called the dog a "Cocker Spaniel" so a "Cocker Spaniel" it remains. It was driving the ECSCA secretary batty trying to ferret out these errors, because when the hunters would breed two "field bred" Cockers together and they went to register the pups, the registration was refused. To the AKC they were mixed breeds.

Recently, blue roan ACS have made an appearance. This is very odd to me because the breeders of particolor ACS and the standard had tried to "purge" roaning and heavy ticking from the ACS gene pool, and quite successfully until the late 1990's when "all of a sudden" these very flashy blue roan ACS showed up on the scene.

Investigation of their pedigrees shows that they are descended from "field bred" or true hunting Cockers, which suggests to me that they are really the product of imported English Cockers, improperly named at registration here, and mixed with conformation (show) ACS stock.

Since it would be a mess to straighten out, the breeds are really so very closely related anyway, and what would be gained but dogs losing their registration status, I think everyone just wants to let it go and pretend there wasn't really a breaking of the rules, so to speak. But that's just MHO.:naughty:

Here's a link to the field Cocker site. I think that almost every picture is an "English" Cocker Spaniel but few of them really even resemble their "bench bred" brothers and sisters:

http://www.fieldcockers.com/photos/dogs.htm

There was an American Cocker who earned a Master Hunter title within the past decade bred from conformation lines, if I can find the name or other info, I'll come back with it later.

There is a certain amount of tension between the serious hunting crowd and those who show/exhibit in any of the other AKC sanctioned activities.

The hunters look down their noses at the bench champions as "Foo Foo" dogs and I have heard more than one owner of show quality ECS suggest that the field bred dogs are "ugly", drag down the breeds reputation and ought to be split off to a third cocker breed.

I don't agree with either of those attitudes. As I stated in the other thread, Langley, a conformation champion, made a very favorable impression on a hard-core field cocker breeder in that working test a few days ago.

There was an American Cocker who earned a Master Hunter title within the past decade bred from conformation lines, if I can find the name or other info, I'll come back with it later.

OK, the ACS was buried in the middle of that link page of field cockers and it was a Field Champion, as well.

FC Madison's Pride and Passion "Pride", MH (ACS)
Owner: Trish Jackson

If you missed the picture, go back and look. It's a special dog and perhaps the last ACS to pursue and earn a field champion title. I had heard that the dog came to an unfortunate and untimely end during a water retrieve of a "winged" pheasant. :(

Carol, that's a picture of Red Brucie as Mark pointed out. He's an American cocker spaniel. I wonder if there are other breeds that have made such a drastic transformation. Red Brucie looks like a field spaniel to me--I do like all spaniels.

I can't remember what Gabby used to look like. It's been so long. I'm guessing he was 1-2 in this pic:

Gabby

Click to enlarge

Hoshi

At a flea market I bought a teacher's reading card of a page from a "Dick and Jane" book. The card is about 18"x30" and features Spot. I love looking at Spot and I think maybe he stuck in my mind at a young age causing me to want black and white parti cockers. However, when I look at the illustration, I notice a big difference between the way Spot looks and the way Dylan and Riley look. Spot looks a little more like a black and white version of My Own Brucie.
http://www.juliascollectibles.com/11019-07.jpg

At a flea market I bought a teacher's reading card of a page from a "Dick and Jane" book. The card is about 18"x30" and features Spot. I love looking at Spot and I think maybe he stuck in my mind at a young age causing me to want black and white parti cockers. However, when I look at the illustration, I notice a big difference between the way Spot looks and the way Dylan and Riley look. Spot looks a little more like a black and white version of My Own Brucie.
http://www.juliascollectibles.com/11019-07.jpg

I never knew Spot looked like a spaniel.

Mark, my friend Bev Bettridge is running her girl Summer in Field Trials . . . MOTCh Thomas' Lil Miss Summer Am Can MH. She had some placements as a puppy, but had been concentrating on higher level Hunt test titles and obedience titles. Summer is a blend of bench and field lines. Her dam's side is almost exclusively hunting lines, and her sire's side is conformation lines (although her sire recently earned a MH, and he also has a Champion title, a CD and some agility and flyball titles).

And yes, here in Canada we have the Spaniel (American Cocker) and Spaniel (English Cocker) as registerable breeds.

All of mine have different looks to them. Discounting Charlie cause I'm near positive there was a beagle in his momma's back yard. ;) Monte has a delicate little face like Hoshi. Merlin's tiny-boned but his muzzle is longer than Monte's. Coco has a Danny Thomas nose...that elevated bump thing going on. Then there's Mozie who's waaay bigger than all the rest and easily passes for a springer except he's got the coat of a cocker. Interesting though cause my Grandmother's cocker which started my obsession with the breed looked pretty much like today's cocker standard. That was in the 50's when she had Honey-chile. I so looved that pooch!

Mark, my friend Bev Bettridge is running her girl Summer in Field Trials . . . MOTCh Thomas' Lil Miss Summer Am Can MH.

I remember now that you posted of her in another thread. Sorry I didn't acknowledge her here. Pass my congratulations on to your friend Bev for me and I hope she continues to pursue the field titles (and maybe produces some good quality pups?).

Some ECS breeders in Michigan, the Dixons, have tried crossing bench and field bred dogs. I understand that there is a monetary award left in someones will to whomever can breed/train/own a DUAL CHAMPION (maybe only available to ECS) cocker. A Dual Champion is a sporting breed dog which becomes a champion in conformation as well as earning a Field Champion title.

The Dixons were hoping to eventually claim the prize, but I haven't heard if they're still progressing on that or not.

Somewhere I've got a picture of a very young me, held up by my Gram and watched over by my first Cocker, Duke. My father brought him home for me when I was about 8 mos old. All I know of his origin was that he came from someone who bred Cockers in the country south of Decatur, IL.

This was about the same time as the last Am Spaniel Club sanctioned National Cocker Spaniel Field Trial held in 1953 near Herrin, IL not too far south, an hour or two, of Decatur.

We were inseparable until I started school. My mother always said that Duke fit so naturally into our family. He had a long stride like my father, auburn red hair like my mother and he could whine just like me.:p

Red Brucie's picture reminds me of Duke. Until I saw a red English Cocker about 1990, I thought the color had disappeared from the spaniel gene pool.

Pat Perry is running one of Carolee Douglas' dogs (Ty - Ch Kapewood's Tying One On MH) in field trials as well . . . so that's another conformation dog that's running. I think Trish Jackson might be running a dog as well, but I could be wrong.

How about a comparison between our current black-and-whites with the first Westminster Champion, Ch. Midkiff Seductive. This girl looks nothing like what we now know as our beloved American Cocker Spaniel.:)

I'm loving this discussion, but got in late due to being out of town.

Attachments

• seductive.jpg
    seductive.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 45
Just think of it as the evolution of Cockers. (and other breeds too) Hardly any of them resemble dogs exhibited 50+ years ago...It is breeders looking at a dog and seeing traits that they want to perpetuate and solidifying this type through selective breeding. Some have evolved more so than others, depending on where in the country the dogs are bred. Even amongst the dogs in the ring today there are different 'styles'...for instance 'fancy' is a term used to describe a smallish dog with extreme features. 'Sporty' is used to describe a larger dog with a longer muzzle and bigger bone...so even within the top echalon of dogs being exhibited there are distinctly different looking Cockers...they represent their breeders interpretation of the standard.

Last edited:
I've never heard those terms applied to cockers before. Thanks for sharing. Has the breed standard changed over the years or are these changes within the limits?

I've never heard those terms applied to cockers before. Thanks for sharing. Has the breed standard changed over the years or are these changes within the limits?

Those are just a couple of words that are banied about the ring by dog breeders...they are just descriptive words used in reference to the physical appearance of dogs...there are more.

The breed standard is NOT easy to change...sort of like the Constitution of the United States...and like the Constitution it is 'open to interpretation'
To me reading the standard and applying it to the dogs is a pretty simple thing, however, some folks minds take liberty with the descriptions set forth. There are some things that are plain and one would think written in stone...like height disqualification. However one of the all time winningest Cocker Spaniels is OVER the height standard and it is obvious. That is a whole other topic...politics in judging dogs ;)

That explanation was very helpful. It's interesting breeders have adopted a standard appearance based on an interpretive standard. I wonder if other countries' conform to our interpretation of the Am. cocker spaniel?

Back