Old fashion cockers vs. current breed standards

No, I think that's either Christopher Robin or one of their other dogs. I don't think that's Marval . . . but I could be wrong!

I have a tendency to prefer smaller Cockers, but I know it's not correct, so I try not to choose for it.

Jack Jack is probably about 15" or even 15 1/4", which is fine with me. Not over and not under. Marie Santos once told me she thought he was too small, but he has gained some body and muscle, and he looks like a male now. Except for his very pretty face . . . the thing is, even with his short muzzle, he can carry some good stuff. Probably not the bigger birds that Cockers are meant to carry, though.

Farley is a little boy - only 14.5" and possibly on his tippy toes at that. He's fairly feminine (especially as a puppy this was true) and he's often called she.

Grace is a good size for a female - I almost thought she'd be too tall, because she really shot up as a puppy. But she's probably 14.5", which is acceptable. She is too fine-boned, though, with her tiny face. She needs more body and more width - she is quite narrow overall.

I really like a pretty Cocker that can move nicely . . . but I am aware that they need to be able to function in the field too. I prefer a Cocker with slightly less hair (although the hair is pretty!), because then they're easier to look after for the average person.

Back