rescue OMG!! Cocker in desperate need of medical- donations please?

Hersh'sMom

Owned by
5 cockers
rescuechance.jpg. I'm getting a 1-3 y/o buff boy in tonight that had to spend the night at the vet last night. Found wandering the streets with a sweater on. Took sweater off and he had gaping holes in his body and neck. His neck is pretty hard from the dead skin and the skin is sloughing off there. It's our thinking he was used as a bait dog then turned loose. As to why he had a sweater? The only thing we can think of is to hide the wounds that are full of infection. We're not sure of all he needs, and we'll find out more as today goes on.We named him Chance as we're giving him a 'second chance". He will have to be fostered for a while until he heals. Mentally he seems ok as he's very sweet and loving.
If anyone would like to help with any medical on this guy, please either email me or PM me for my Paypal info or snail mail. No amount too small!!!
PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST!
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!

Last edited:
I've sent you something in your admin email. That just makes me so mad! That kind of stuff goes on around here since it's Detroit. At least it draws so much attention that Animal Planet features Detroit on Animal Cops. I think the Michigan Humane Society has received a big boost because of Animal Cops.

Robin,

hopefully, there were no maggots! I know - I know, gross. Now, has he been scanned for a chip?

They might have to surgically remove dead skin and do graphs if it necrotic? is that a word?

Poor darling. I will send something. It will not be coming from my email address. You know, paypal put me on hold.

Yes they scanned him and of course nothing. Didn't see any maggots but who knows. He has the best personality and loves people. They're aren't sure about the surgery yet. They've put him on antibiotics last night and shaved his neck and scrubbed and wrapped it.
Thanx guys.

He's the cutest thing though. How could anyone treat him like that. I wanted to suggest telling your local TV stations about it. You never know, they might be interested. Make sure and tell the police too. Tell your Humane Society too. Maybe you can raise of stink that they start looking for the people responsible. They should be punished.

Robin,

please post this on your facebook profile. The sweater tells me someone owned him and I would hate for them to get him back... I suppose you can check local paper and vet offices to see if anyone is actually looking for him.

Robin, I am with Linda, is it possible that this dog was a pet that got lost or stolen? and bitten by another dog? Or that he was someones pet who had been injured, treated and the sweater was to cover sores to keep him off them and then got away?

I can't imagine that someone used him as a bait dog and then put a sweater on it. Most likely they would have simply thrown a bait dog in the dumpster.

Whatever the story is behind him, thank you for taking him in and helping him. I hope that he recovers and his future is bright.

could have been stolen or lost. Bait dogs would have been shot or given an OD of pheno -- no sweater!

For legal reasons, do the normal protocol on a possible stray. Your vet will tell you what that is in your state. I do a search for 7 days and check local vets, grooming shops, shelters, etc.

Sometimes my search is um, how should I say this? Thru closed eyes, but I do like to keep things legal, just in case.

Oh No Robin!
I will paypal what I can on Friday when I get paid!
Terrible!

The shelter actually picked him up and when they found his wounds, desperately looked for a rescue to take him so he wouldn't get more infection at the shelter. When it was brought up about someone looking for him, they said they'd have to prove that he was theirs and pay for all his medical. Then charges would be brought up for neglect (no medical attention). We've documented everything thus far just in case. I'll keep an eye on the paper for a lost cocker too (kinda ;)). Would you all believe Rich didn't get mad once I told him the condition of this dog? He was soooooo pissed.
(We used to have pits and hate what bad people do with them.)
I just posted my plea on my facebook.

Last edited:
Robin,

that's a different story, if he was in a shelter, you are off the hook, whew, cause they know the law and did what they did to get him help -- so thank you !!!!

I sent $$ from Garry's paypal account to your admin email address. Is that the correct one?

Yes Linny, that's the right one. Thank you!
I'm hoping he gets to come home tonight anyways to start his recovery.

Robin,

I hit the "SHARE" button on your facebook story of Chance. It's now posted on my profile with your info and stuff. Maybe it'll help with getting more interest.

AND, it's a shame you couldn't get your items onto the auction website, it would have come in handy right now. Perhaps something on your website where you can sell them instead. I know Kelly would be more than happy to set that up :-D

Update:
He does get to come home tonight. His face looks sooooo sad. I'll have to scrub his wounds a couple times a day and leave open to the air to let dry up. Once the skin started sloughing it's really nasty underneath, moreso than what you could initially see on top. He's going to be on antibiotics and pain meds for awhile. We took pics to document everything in case the owners do turn up as he WILL NOT be going back!!! Vet said he would have died.

oh man, it's so painful for them. Like a burn victim. Hugs to him and you for doing this.

Two people asked for a paypal/email address. I gave it to them. Sent as "messages" on facebook. I think those are private messages right?

Can you put some type of contact information out for donations?

Robin,

perhaps you can do a BUY IT NOW page with the items that were going to be on the big auction.

Back