rescue Prayer chain for Chance PLEASE

Hersh'sMom

Owned by
5 cockers
Last night we hit a roadblock. All day yesterday he was excluding himself from anything and anyone laying around not wanting to do anything. I'd have to pick him up to go outside to potty a d take him his food and water within his reach. From what he'd shown me the two days before this was unlike him. Layer in the evening I picked him up and let him lay in my lap and he started giving his kisses and I noticed his tongue was not warm. I decided just for the heck of it to take his temp and it was 98.7. Not good so I hollered at Linny, Manuel, Kelly, and Polly for advice. We covered him in a bath robe and I put a room heater on him and finally got his temp up to 100.0 so I went to bed. He maintained atleast that thru the night. This morning he ate drank and pottied and his temp was 100.2 so I put some warm blankies around him from the dryer to help warm too along with all else. Now his temp is in the 102's do that's better. I have a call in to the e-vet to see if I need to bring him in. They are the ones who initially saw him and my vet wants you to call the vet school in Stillwater that's 45 minutes away for emergencies so I decided to call the ones in OKC. I never thought he'd take a turn for the worse but I guess something could happen at anytime. I've also been in contact with the lady who's going to foot his bill from now on and she said to fo what ever is needed to save this dear boy. Can you tell he's growing on me? But no, he won't be able to stay. Please say a prayer for him to keep his will to live and get his temp up. He's not had much of a life yet. THANKS.
Just took his temp again and it's back down to 100.3. Darn it. More warm blankies.

Last edited:
Robin

get some nutrical in him and if you have , run to
e-vet and have his vitals checked. I was looking up hypothermia in dogs. Can effect heart etc.

Butternut pups all holding paws for Chance. He has no fat mass or
even skin in some areas so I guess he's loosing heat.

Make him some warm oatmeal and chicken broth. I've hand fed this (it's
gooey) to lots of sick dogs and it helps. Along
with the nutrical.

Hope you get a call back soon

As you know, I've been keeping Chance in my prayers since last night. Keep us posted Robin.

All of us praying for Chance. We have been since you told us about him. Called my kids, they are praying too. I hope this poor boy can get better so that he can know what a loving family is. Maybe he needs to go into the ER vet? Please keep us updated since we are all rooting for him.

Oh man.. This is not what any of us wanted to hear. E-vet may not be a bad idea if he cant get his temperature to remain normal. Prayers going out for that dear little boy.

Ok
last email from Robin
said
she was taking him in. Hopefully we'll get a report soon

Robin
We are on pins and needles. I know Linny is now checking up. I prayed for him all day at work.

Ok just got home. Too tired to text and drive at same time so waited til got home.
He's ok as we caught the start of what could've been an infection. When we got there his temp had headed the other way and he was 103.2. Ran a cbc and his white count swas in the normal. They kept him on the cephelexin to cover the posititive grams and started baytril to cover the negative grams. Started on pettinic, a supplement. If his temp starts staying in the 103.5 range and I can't get it down, I'm to take him back in. They were not too concerned about his low temps as his exposed skin is cooling him off since there's so much. Nothing to be worried about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well whew but what do they think this new infection is about? I'm
glad they have him on baytril and a supplement now. Did you have to
go far to this ER vet?

Sending prayers for Chance. The poor little guy has been through so much.

I don't think this is a pneumonia. I'm sure it's from those open wounds. They were recently debrided so there's still a lot of exposed tissues and time needed for healing.

In a word....PHEW! I was so worried. I am glad you took him in when you did, to catch the infection early. Thank you, thank you for caring for this sweet boy, whom we all have "virtually adopted."

Back