Routine for a new puppy

Macette

Owned by
1 cocker
Hi, I would really like some help about setting a routine for a new puppy due home in 2 weeks. I intend to make some kind of pen enclosure in our dinning room for her night time sleeping. At least until she is toilet trained .And was just going to keep her with me during the day. But I saw on here somewhere it was a good idea to set up a routine like putting her to bed after feeds and such. I would really like to start of on the right foot so I don't create a monster because it would be so easy to spoil her. So anyone that has any advice it would really be welcome...another thing I'm really worried about is her food, I know I will keep her on her food for a few weeks but the food she is on is known to be not great quality. So I would go up a few grades but the grain thing worries me there just does not seem to be a medium priced food that is grain free. Maybe There is a grain percentage that would be acceptable without being totally grain free. Any advice will be very welcome....

What is she currently on? There are a lot of members here who have widespread suggestions that can help you. I have my two on Blue Buffalo. Its on the expensive side, bout $30 for a 15lbs bag, but it doesn't have and additives, no corn or soy. But not everyone has the same expense rage as others. I'm sure someone here can help you.

What is she currently on? There are a lot of members here who have widespread suggestions that can help you. I have my two on Blue Buffalo. Its on the expensive side, bout $30 for a 15lbs bag, but it doesn't have and additives, no corn or soy. But not everyone has the same expense rage as others. I'm sure someone here can help you.
Hi Jessikah, Lexi is on a food called Bakers Im in the uk so I have never seen a food called Buffalo. But maybe a uk member will know some mid range foods because the top range are a terrible price. But I thought maybe some days she could have chicken or ground mince to compensate. It worries me because my last dog had allergies she was not a cocker, but had to spend most of her life on steroids to stop her scratching. So do most people think it is grains that cause allergy ? Anyway I have 2 weeks before she comes home so I will keep searching...

Supervision, Consistency, Confinement, Reward, Praise. You will want to have a small area for the puppy, and increase the area as the puppy becomes more reliable with potty training. Go out with the puppy every time, to potty, and say "go potty, go potty, hurry up" or whatever words you choose. Success? Good baby! and a tiny treat. When the puppy potties, the puppy can be "out" with you under supervision. Potty time during play, after nap, after eating, pretty much all the time. lol If you feed a lot of treats, you will want to subtract those treats from the actual amount of food. Pieces of kibble can be good for treats also. Basically it's like watching a two year old. ;) Have fun!

Supervision, Consistency, Confinement, Reward, Praise. You will want to have a small area for the puppy, and increase the area as the puppy becomes more reliable with potty training. Go out with the puppy every time, to potty, and say "go potty, go potty, hurry up" or whatever words you choose. Success? Good baby! and a tiny treat. When the puppy potties, the puppy can be "out" with you under supervision. Potty time during play, after nap, after eating, pretty much all the time. lol If you feed a lot of treats, you will want to subtract those treats from the actual amount of food. Pieces of kibble can be good for treats also. Basically it's like watching a two year old. ;) Have fun!
Thanks Jen, I think I am ready for the supervision and consistency and the rest lol I will confine her for night time. I will keep her in the room I'm in during the day and hope for the best.... I can't wait ...I just don't want to raise a monster and spoil to much so am now checking ceasar dog whisperer videos. Lol.

I just don't want to raise a monster and spoil to much so am now checking ceasar dog whisperer videos. Lol.
Lol the theory is great but at some point we all do it and they know we're gonna do and they expect it. I think that's why they have the permanent sad puppy eyes :D

Lol the theory is great but at some point we all do it and they know we're gonna do and they expect it. I think that's why they have the permanent sad puppy eyes :D

Yes I think you are right those eyes are there for a reason. I will let you know how me and my delinquent get on lol

Hi Jessikah, Lexi is on a food called Bakers Im in the uk so I have never seen a food called Buffalo. But maybe a uk member will know some mid range foods because the top range are a terrible price. But I thought maybe some days she could have chicken or ground mince to compensate. It worries me because my last dog had allergies she was not a cocker, but had to spend most of her life on steroids to stop her scratching. So do most people think it is grains that cause allergy ? Anyway I have 2 weeks before she comes home so I will keep searching...

I haven't had the puppy experience, but our Cordelia has terrible allergies; we are giving her shots (i.e., jabs) once a week to desensitize her. I would definitely recommend a grain-free food. There are lots of UK brands, but I don't know them myself.

I haven't had the puppy experience, but our Cordelia has terrible allergies; we are giving her shots (i.e., jabs) once a week to desensitize her. I would definitely recommend a grain-free food. There are lots of UK brands, but I don't know them myself.
An animal with allergies is the most heartbreaking thing to watch. Our Akita would scratch till she bled or lick her elbows till they were swollen. So steroids was they only way we could go after numerous trips to the vet. It did shorten her life but she was more comfortable. I live in fear of that happening again.... So I think I will go to the grain free if I can. I did find a food it's called Superdog its on AMAZON UK would love someone on here to give an opinion on it . It's grain free salmon and rice very few ingredients in it. Trouble is its an adult food there is a puppy food in the brand but it has some grain in it :( It is very reasonable price wise. I don't know if you can give an adult food to a pup. Would love you to google it for me and give me your opinion . Superdog by Burgess salmon and rice or lamb and rice I think the puppy food was chicken....The search goes on....:)

We kinda skipped the puppy food and fed an all stages food. Just make the switch gradual.

As for the spoiling part...hmmmmm, since my three are spoiled rotten I don't think that I could give you any useful tips on that :D.

I try to go for the space between "spoiled" and "rotten." At least, I try

My puppy, Missy, was being fed a purina puppy food or something commercial and it made her sick.

I talked to my vet and she suggested doing a puppy food and transitioning to an all stages food. After she got used to the grain free all stage food she has been gaining weight, which she needed, and her coat is so beautiful.

I feed mine Core Wellness grain free original. I used to feed Blue Buffalo but Core is not only cheaper for the big bags but nutritionally better.

Since the kibble pieces were kind of large at first I did use some warm water to "smoosh" it for her at first.

Missy also was 9mos old when I got her, so she was aging out of puppyhood.

Although wheat and corn free, it is not a grain free since it has rice in it. What I don't like about this food is that the protein is equal to the rice percentage. It is more for a dog with a sensitive stomach than with allergies.

Although wheat and corn free, it is not a grain free since it has rice in it. What I don't like about this food is that the protein is equal to the rice percentage. It is more for a dog with a sensitive stomach than with allergies.
I see what you mean, thanks for that. Back to the drawing board....:(

My dogs are on Orijen, it is grain free. 80-20 ratio between meats and veggies, I also mix in some chicken and a food called "vital" it is meats with egg, spinach and cranberries it smells great. It is a fresh food, found in the refrigerator. As for the routine. I have a large wire pen the size for a big dog in my family room. If I am not home, I keep puppies in there. I have a wire crate in my room near my bed. If they have to go out, they i take them out. I put dogs out first thing in the morning, I wait until they potty, lots of praise. After they eat, potty break again. Play time is always supervised. For young puppies I confine them until they are better trained. I do take them out often outside to play. They play inside after they have gone potty. I observe them also if they look like they are sniffing the ground then I take them out again. I also recommend puppy kindergarten. Those classes are great, puppies play and owners get to ask questions. I also start basic obedience commands right away. Consistency, lots of patience and praise. Good luck with your new baby. It is always fun with new puppies, yes also lots of work but rewarding.

Oh I forgot. I taught my older dog to ring a bell when he I needs to go out. I have bells hanging from the door and whenever I take them out I ring the bells and say outside. When we are out side I say "go potty". When they go I praise. The puppies I would take out on a leash because you want to see them going potty.

Back