stinky saliva/breath

deedee

Owned by
2 cockers
I have done a little looking around on this matter, but would love someone else's input. Butch has "stinky" saliva. Just started a couple days ago. Had his teeth cleaned 8/1, the vet saw no problem areas then and no loose teeth. Funny, if I run my finger along his inside jaw line on one side of his mouth, no smell, but on the other, hooeeee, bad. I have checked the inside of his
jowls with a fine tooth comb. Nothing there, no lumps, bumps, red spots, white spots. He is eating great and doing all other activities he always has, very fun and active. If I put my face up
next to his on one side, fine but on the other P-U.

Most everything I have read, says that the saliva does not smell. Well, his does and when I wipe the inside of his jowl with a baby wipe or towel, it smells.

We are going to the vet tomorrow, but I just wanted some input if there was any out there. Thanks

I don't think it's normal for one side of the mouth to be okay and the other to have a smell. That would clue me immediately to take him to the vets, especially since you noticed it after a cleaning a little more than a month ago. I think you are wise to have this checked out.

I am really anxious to get this appt over with, I know I shouldn't worry until there is something to worry about, but seems strange to me.
I will let you know what happens. thanks

Polly,

Riley's lip folds were always worse on one side of his mouth than the other. Maybe they were a little deeper on that side? That's why I thought maybe it could be the lip folds.

Sorry I can't help you with that problem. I'm glad you have an appointment to see the vet. Let us know what they say.

That sounds like lip fold pyoderma on one side, which is an infection in the skin. Using a cotton pad wet down with original formula Listerine can help with that, as well as keeping the hair in the lip folds trimmed short.

Polly,

Riley's lip folds were always worse on one side of his mouth than the other. Maybe they were a little deeper on that side? That's why I thought maybe it could be the lip folds.
Oh! Maybe so Karen! Pogo has such deep lip folds, earlier this year, I must have accidently nicked him with my clipper. Now he won't let me clip his face on one side. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. He will let me use my scissors tho... UGH!

Just got home from vet, he believes Butch has a cracked molar on the upper left. He thinks that it may be abcessing, although you cannot see it. We are on Baytril for 7 days to see if that lessens the odor, if it does, we will extract the tooth, if not we'll look more. I asked him about skin infections because I have had cockers before with the problem (not in their mouth though). He doesn't believe it is it. I'll be patient for 3 or 4 days and see if the meds start to work. I think I will continue to Listerine, which I had been doing. Thanks, I'll keep you posted371.jpg

Very cool looking doggie! I'm sorry Butch cracked a molar. That can't feel good. :( My old cocker Gabby cracked a molar. I don't know how because his teeth had been so healthy. I've been reading that large soup bones can break a dogs teeth. I had been giving him large soup bones too.

I just noticed. There are two Dee Dees 1) Dee Dee and deedee. Can you help us out by using the Real Name field in your profile? If Dee Dee is your real name just put a nick name in there. Anything to help us tell you apart.

Poor Butch, a cracked molar doesn't sound like fun. I hope the Baytril helps get rid of any infection.

I really don't think he is feeling pain, he just doesn't act like it, maybe we have caught this early. I sure don't know how it happened. He is on Orijen and does have a milk bone type treat once a day, but
I never allow bones or stuff like that. I broke a tooth once on a chocolate chip I ate out of the freezer, duh, so just bad luck.

Just got home from vet, he believes Butch has a cracked molar on the upper left. He thinks that it may be abcessing, although you cannot see it. We are on Baytril for 7 days to see if that lessens the odor, if it does, we will extract the tooth, if not we'll look more. I asked him about skin infections because I have had cockers before with the problem (not in their mouth though). He doesn't believe it is it. I'll be patient for 3 or 4 days and see if the meds start to work. I think I will continue to Listerine, which I had been doing. Thanks, I'll keep you postedView attachment 5971
Very cute pix.. Butch looks cool!!! So sorry about his molar, my Pep had a bad molar, I knew it hurt him, We had it removed several years ago.

So sorry, I hope they figure it out. My Chicka is the smelliest dog I have ever had around her face and I just can't figure it out. She is getting her teeth cleaned next month so I will ask the doc if this could be her problem. He is a cutie, love the picture.

Is she yeasty Dianne? I find that dogs with allergies tend to be yeasty and they can be stinky. Just a thought.

Is she yeasty Dianne? I find that dogs with allergies tend to be yeasty and they can be stinky. Just a thought.

I have wondered that myself but she does not show other signs of allergies and the only place she stinks is her face. She does lick her paws alot but doe not chew, actually she just sits and licks the air ! She has gotten better about that since I put her on enzymes but now she scoots on her bottom. She will b going in for a dental and I will have her checked out completely while she is out.

Thanks

I will have to say that Butch had been "licking the air". Now wondering if he had been trying to get the leakage away? I am crossing my fingers, I really think the odor
is alot less this evening after day 2 of the meds. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I have wondered that myself but she does not show other signs of allergies and the only place she stinks is her face. She does lick her paws alot but doe not chew, actually she just sits and licks the air ! She has gotten better about that since I put her on enzymes but now she scoots on her bottom. She will b going in for a dental and I will have her checked out completely while she is out.

Thanks

This might not be the issue but I wanted to let you know that the Cocker I rescued had yeast infections and she, too, licked her paws a lot. I don't know if it was the yeast itself that made her do that or if it was the allergies (which were contributing to the yeast, as is the case with most dogs) but she calmed down once I started treating her for the yeast.

Anal gland problems can also be related to allergies (I didn't know that until Sophie stopped having issues once she stopped having all the other allergy symptoms!) so I wonder if your pup is allergic to something? Do her symptoms last the whole year?

Back