stinky saliva/breath

I really don't think he is feeling pain, he just doesn't act like it, maybe we have caught this early. I sure don't know how it happened. He is on Orijen and does have a milk bone type treat once a day, but
I never allow bones or stuff like that. I broke a tooth once on a chocolate chip I ate out of the freezer, duh, so just bad luck.
Gabby acted like he felt pain. He would eat on one side of his mouth. He would also jerk his head when chewing--probably from pain anytime he bit kibble on that bad tooth.

I will have to say that Butch had been "licking the air". Now wondering if he had been trying to get the leakage away? I am crossing my fingers, I really think the odor
is alot less this evening after day 2 of the meds. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
This might be a response to feeling the jagged edges on that cracked tooth.

Love Butch's picture...looks like he is off to do some riding.

Funny you should mention the air licking...just took my mom's little boston in cause she was snorty and doing the air licky think. He feels that she has a sinus infection, but there is no oder with that.

The tooth could cause the oder, hope that he is better soon.

Every day our breath is sweeter, now I have to decide when I want to pull the molar. Yuck, I hate it when they have to put them under to do a procedure, however it must be done because the infection will just keep coming back.
I'll keep you posted. Aren't the pics of all our babies great. We are all so proud of our furry children, makes life wonderful doesn't it?

Has Butch finished his antibiotics? I would have it done as soon as possible.

Yes, having people to share our live and enjoyment of our furry friends with sure makes life better :)

I agree with Manuel - I'd have that tooth pulled sooner rather than later. He'll feel better, and you won't have to worry about more infection.

One more dose to go on 10/2, then I will call the vet Monday morning and get scheduled. I know that he will feel much better, especially since the infection will be gone and won't be coming back.

Just an update, the vet wants one more round of Baytril, we do have an appt to see him again this Friday 10/7, so nothing really new.

Just an update, the vet wants one more round of Baytril, we do have an appt to see him again this Friday 10/7, so nothing really new.
Good, glad he's at least feeling better. I'm glad you are going to have it out as soon as the vet feels it's safe. Expect a little drool LOL.. My Pepper does drool a little after all there is no tooth there anylonger.

Hi guys, omigosh, I have been busier than a cocker spaniel chasing a fluttering leaf! Butch is tons better. Ended up going to an ortho two hours away. Come to find out, no abcess, no cracked tooth. However, he had a "kissing ulcer", not a smooching kiss, but inside his mouth along the upper back jaw, the skin was hanging down and rubbing against the teeth, which caused a canker type sore which of course becomes infected with bacteria. He had a huge one on the stinky side of his mouth and a very small one on the other. Unless you got in there and really moved all that skin around, you could not see it. It was white and ulcerated. So the doc wanted to remove it and take away part of the skin and lift all that up, but of course it was right near the salivary duct/gland, so he had to go over the top and push it up and suture. The whole experience was easier than I thought and I was invited to stay right by Butch for the entire procedure. When he was waking up after the surgery, he was right there in my arms and we both were calm and relaxed. It has been a week and we are still on 250 mg per day antibiotics and for at least another week. In about 3 days his breath was back to normal. Whew!! The doc wants him on Science Diet T/D. The pieces are huge, I'm apprehensive about it. I have been feeding it to him, first I broke it up some, but the last two days I have been giving it to him whole. I'm scared he will choke on it. Doc says the concept is they have to chew it slowly and it cleans the bacteria and stuff off the teeth. We go back on 11/2 for a follow-up. Wish I could find a doctor that would call the house and check on me after procedures and visits like my vets do!!!
Once again, sorry I've been away, but work has been brutal (both businesses).

I'm glad he is all better. I have not heard of an ulcer like that before.

Back