Swiching food....

Mike

Owned by
4 cockers
My guys have been on the Cal Nat for awhile, but I've noticed that Buddy and Peaches have been getting ear crud that keeps coming back. Plus Kyle's been scratching and chewing like a maniac lately.. Kinda strange for a grain free food. It could be seasonal allergies, but today I got a bag of Taste of the Wild with the salmon. The ingredients look top notch, and its also grain free. And its the same price as the Cal Nat, so gonna give it a try. Anyone else have their pups on it? Any issues?

All four of my guys have been on it for well over a year. I love the low purines (for kidney and liver issues) and the no grain factors.....I especially love the smaller, less stinky poops. If I remember correctly at least two of mine had sinus clearing, room emptying gas till they adjusted to the mix.

I didn't think that Cal Nat was grain free? Just a higher quality food . . . obviously I'm confused LOL I had Grace and Jack Jack on Acana Pacifica, but I got very, very tired of JJ's loose stools all the time. I have switched him to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diet (Venison & Sweet Potato) and so far he's doing well. I tried the TOTW, but it didn't agree with JJ's very sensitive tummy.

Good luck Mike... I will still stick to puppy stew..

I have Hersh, Rona and Allee on Timberwolf Ocean Pacific. Their coats were getting so dry and brittle and nothing was helping. In three weeks I could tell a diff in their hair shafts and their stools are sooo small. Hersh lugs it so much he's now guarding his bowl from the others. It is pretty pricey tho and only one place in OK carries it so far and it's not in Enid :(

I had Dylan and Riley on CA Natural and their stools gradually became soft. I just don't think it really agreed with them.

Robin, Who makes the food you feed and where do you buy it in Oklahoma....Glad they are doing well. Joyce

I didn't think that Cal Nat was grain free? Just a higher quality food . . . obviously I'm confused LOL .

Nah.... I'm the one who got it wrong. lol Cal Nat has rice in it, but that's the only grain its got. The Natural Balance is a good food too, but Bear didnt tolerate it well at the time, so I took them off of it.
The jury is still out with TOTW.. Today is the first day they've been on it 100%, so will wait patiently for the sinus clearing and room emptying gas.. lol

I have six dogs on TOTW, and they all do well. Reagan eats Acana because of her crystal issue. The best I have seen any of my dogs' coats was when Reagan was eating the dehydrated Addiction. Unfortunately, she still had the crystals on it.

The food wars....ick! Seriously though, I bought some cheaper food for my boys when i first got laid off and it sent Monte into a tailspin. He is allergic to fleas but this was worse. His whole body was covered in skin infection. Back to Nutro Natural lamb n rice and he's clearing up nicely. They all get their puppy stew but the kibble was the key apparently.

With Chase's touchy tummy we have him on Nat Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. I don't like the amount of carbs in it so I add cooked Venison each meal. He seems stable but still scoots his butt every day, at least no more loose stools and gas. His coat is not as shiny as I want either. My cats eat California Natural but I will no longer use it now that Proctor and Gamble are buying Natura. We will be starting his supplements when they come in and I can't make any changes till we get him on those to see how he does. He does not do well with fats so adding salmon oil is out, both dogs are soft but just not shiny. Oh well I will be happy with healthy, altough I think he is still getting something he is sensitive to.

One of the pet stores in our area has a 2 day anniversary sale ( buy one get on 1/2 off dog and cat food) they have lots of venders present and so was browsing to see what was new. I think that I like the looks of their Core & Simple kibble.

Wellness® Dog Wellness

Also found a forum for dog food. Just joined so will see if I still like it after checking it out for a while but seems to have some good info so far.
Dog Food Nutrition Forum

A dog food forum sounds interesting
. I bet you can learn a lot there.

Also found a forum for dog food. Just joined so will see if I still like it after checking it out for a while but seems to have some good info so far.
Dog Food Nutrition Forum

Thanks for the find! Looks like you have to join after reading just a few posts, so guess I'll sign up too. AOL used to have a nutrition board too.. dont know if its still active. Years ago, I got some decent advice on there about Laceys IBD, and it helped her alot. But it also got to a point where there were some highly opinionated individuals on there. I'm always right... you're always wrong. Nothing like watching 2 or 3 angry people heatedly duking it out on a daily basis over dog food ingredients.. lol I hope that this nutritional forum isnt like that.
I guess the one thing to always keep in mind is that a diet that works for one dog wont necessarily work for another dog. But dear God... some of those people really need to CHILL! lol

LOL, I know what you mean Mike. I use to visit the Behavioral Board on AOL...but my goodness!!! They would have a fit if their dogs behaved that way towards each other.

I have only just started on that board and so I can only hope that it is a "play nice" board.

I did the behavior board, too, DJ. I think some of those people needed to learn how to behave. I found it very depressing after a while and just left.

Back