This may be a stupid question...

Buffington'sMom

Owned by
1 cocker
Yes, this may be stupid, but I'm going to ask it anyway!

What do you find is the biggest difference between male and female cocker spaniels? I guess I'm mostly wondering about personality and temperament.

I've been doing research looking for a breeder here in MA and I think I found a good one! We were hoping to get a puppy in the spring, so I started checking around and found this woman. Her dog had 5 puppies on Friday, 2/5, so they're only a few days old. She said they're all buff which is what we want but they're all girls. We've only had Buffington and he was a male - a real lover and a wonderful, wonderful dog. I thought my husband wanted another male but he said it doesn't really matter as long as she is healthy and has a good personality.

Before I get myself all excited, I just wondered what you all think. So far the breeder and I have only communicated via e-mail but I want to give her a call and then go and see the puppies and their surroundings.

Okay, I'll admit it.....I AM EXCITED!!!

well, you'll find that everyone has a favorite. Some only have girls, some only have boys and some have both.

Personally, I like-a-da-boys. They are more loving. Girls can hold a grudge I swear, and act aloof and while my girls are loving, they could probably live without me. The boys -- well, they are the ones that are always on top of me or kissing me till my lips are numb.

Regardles, perhaps you'll find the best little girly in that litter. Is she keeping any of them for show?

Linda - the boys are more loving??? Oh lord, I better stick with the girls then or I might get smothered.

Susan - good luck with your pup, whatever you choose. I can certainly understand your excitement!

No, Linny....she writes on her webpage that she chooses not to 'show' her dogs but states that they come from great pedigrees and championship stock. She has been breeding for 40 years and will not provide AKC paperwork until proof of spay/neuter is sent to her. This is done in an effort to stop all the puppy mills out there and I really appreciate her concern. So, hopefully, we'll be able to take a ride and see these puppies soon. We're in for a pretty good sized storm tomorrow too and my husband plows and sands, so he could be busy for a couple of days!

You hit the nail on the head with your description of boys....Buffy was a real lovey guy - my 30 pound lap dog!

I too prefer the boys. So lovey dovey. Girls are so independent and like to be in charge. I feel boys integrate better with other dogs too than girls.

Just make sure you ask for AND get copies of health test certificates, such as CERF exams/papers for eyes, OFA or PennHip papers for hips, etc. Whether or not a person shows, they should always do health testing!

Persnonally, I prefer the boys. I find them more loving and snuggly and co-dependent. Girls tend to be more interested in what THEY want than what I want. That being said, Grace is the most cuddly, loving, sweet female I've ever owned. She's a really nice dog with a great temperament.

Let me just say my experience:

Cinnamon, had her for 15 years and she was loveable on her terms. She did not like kids. She onlyl cuddled when she felt like it. She bit me once on the nose because I tried to kiss her. (I was dumb 16, I invaded her space)
Sadie (cocker mix) again, doesn't cuddle or want patted, hardly ever. She is 16 now.
Sassy. She likes to lay on the pillows above my head at night. She likes to lay on the couch behind me. She likes to be near me, but not patted too often. She's not all that cuddly, but a sweet dog. She is 5.
Teddy. Ahhh, My Teddy Bear. His name suits him well. He loves to cuddle. Can't stand being away from me. Gives lots of kisses, always wants more. He is 4.
Patsy...she is a cuddler, but she can be snappy with her chompers. She does love to cuddle in close to me. In fact her given name was Cuddles when I got her as a rescue. Suits her. But, it's always on her terms. She's not always nice to the other dogs. She's 4.
Rascal - the foster boy. He's SUCH a sweetie. Loves to give kisses and be patted.
Roxy - the girl foster. She's as sweet as they come. She likes cuddling and kisses, but mostly keeps to herself on the floor by her brother.
I've had back and forth experience. But, I have to say the boys seem to be the lovers. The attention hogs. The kissers.

LOL, I've had three girl cockers (and one female Brittany) and a boy. With the girls I could use the bathroom and they would be content wait on the far side of the closed door. If I were to do that to Oliver, it would be like I banished him to another planet! I think if you find the perfect dog for you, it will be the perfect dog -- male or female.

Well I love the little boys obviously! I've had female pooches too but the boys get me all the time. One thing that sways my opinion is that it's a lot easier to slap a belly band on a little boy than it is to diaper a little girl. Having gone thru years of incontinence with Mendi (my female cocker) I can appreciate belly bands now. She was a lover like Ellie Mae so I haven't really noticed much difference on that score between the boys and the girls.

When we had ours years ago,we had 2boys 10 girls...4 girls were mine,and 1 boy,I loved all mine,my brother had another 4 girls and 1 boy.He was terribly aggressive.I think it was like 2 packs in the house though,and he didnt train his dogs like i did with mine.I loved my boy,he was so playful and cuddly.The only problem I had with him was him marking his territory on the corner of my bed.Now years later,i have 2 girls,they get along great,but must admit im a little worried getting a boy.Ive been talking to a breeder who has pups but just born about 6days ago.The price is amazing,and I would love to get back into breeding.I really miss those lil fuzzy bundles,we used to breed years ago.

Between fostering over the last 9 years, and with my own, I would say that the males tend to be a bit more mellow and laid back than the females. Not to say that Lacey and Peaches and some of my previous fosters werent loving, because they were. But in my experience, females tend to be a bit more stubborn, and sometimes they get a little snotty streak in them too. Never really had that problem with the boys. All except for Kyle anyway. The little turd...

In my limited experience

My only cocker experience is with Peeka, my little girlie. She is sweetest little thing, easy going, cuddly.

That being said, all my life I've had male dogs one one female (before Peeka) and I'd agree with the general feeling so far, boys are generally where it's at. My Peeka just goes to show that rules are made to be broken!

Thanks to all of you that responded. I'm really leaning toward a male and the breeder I've been corresponding with has one male left. He's almost 10 weeks old which would be fine except that we're going on vacation soon and we won't be back until mid-March. I guess I'll have to talk wth her and she if she would consider holding him for us. Step one is seeing the puppies and their environment and we'll go from there.

I just know what once I see these puppies, I'm going to fall in love!

Seems like the boys have it, but my pick would be a girl. We have six girls (not all cockers), and they are all super lovable and snuggly. They are all spayed, so I am sure that helps with the attitude problems. Cooper is my only experience with a male cocker. He is very sweet too, but not as snuggly as my girls.

I think either one will make a great pet, so I would just let your heart lead you to the perfect puppy for you.

I have only had girls. Maggie is a great cuddler. She loves to be on your lap in the recliner. She snuggles up against me when I am on the sofa and sleeps smack dab against me in bed. I don't need an electric blanket with her. She is a bit jealous of Crissy, our other girl. As long as we make sure they get equal attention, she is fine. She has never been the least bit aggressive towards me or her other mom. She will rough house with Crissy a bit.

Can you go observe the puppies and see how they act with people and interact with each other? Then maybe you can get the puppy with the personality to best suit you.

Jo

When we had ours years ago,we had 2boys 10 girls...4 girls were mine,and 1 boy,I loved all mine,my brother had another 4 girls and 1 boy.He was terribly aggressive.I think it was like 2 packs in the house though,and he didnt train his dogs like i did with mine.I loved my boy,he was so playful and cuddly.The only problem I had with him was him marking his territory on the corner of my bed.Now years later,i have 2 girls,they get along great,but must admit im a little worried getting a boy.Ive been talking to a breeder who has pups but just born about 6days ago.The price is amazing,and I would love to get back into breeding.I really miss those lil fuzzy bundles,we used to breed years ago.

When considering getting a puppy, especially a puppy you hope to breed, the price should be the last thing that tilts the scale. As many of us with rescued dogs know, it's far better to pay a little more for a puppy from someone who breeds for health and temperament, and tries to breed to the standard, free of genetic issues, and gets the proper health certification for eyes and hips (not just a vet check). A poorly bred dog is going to be far more costly in the long run. I have both a dog from a top show breeder (not all show bred dogs are shown -- many breeders place puppies in pet homes) and a darling little girl (poorly bred) rescued from the streets of NY. Annie has been with us for four years, and has cost us many thousands of dollars in medical bills, now averaging $250. dollars a month in just meds.

Times have changed ... poor breeding in the past almost ruined the cocker spaniel breed.

Our shelters and rescues are over run with dogs, most -- on average 60-75% of dogs in shelters will be put to sleep... and most of these started life from backyard breeders and puppy mills.

If you are serious about breeding, why would you want to breed with less than the best?

I think you'll find that people here support responsible breeding (best dogs that are health tested, and both parents being at least two years of age before being tested and bred), and frown (putting it mildly) on BYBs and puppy mills.

I swore I would never get another puppy and if and when I got another dog it would be a girl. That said, my Cavalier male puppy is doing fine but TOTALLY reminding me why I said no more puppies. Ouch - those little teeth!! My male cocker Charlie does petting at his convenience - LOL. The truely marches to the tune of a different drummer so not sure in cockers which is more cuddly or what but do know in all male dogs that territory marking is awful. I'm into belly bands now and total embarassment going to the store and buying the incontinence pads for the band. Feel this huge need to say "NOT for me!" LOL

When considering getting a puppy, especially a puppy you hope to breed, the price should be the last thing that tilts the scale. As many of us with rescued dogs know, it's far better to pay a little more for a puppy from someone who breeds for health and temperament, and tries to breed to the standard, free of genetic issues, and gets the proper health certification for eyes and hips (not just a vet check). A poorly bred dog is going to be far more costly in the long run. I have both a dog from a top show breeder (not all show bred dogs are shown -- many breeders place puppies in pet homes) and a darling little girl (poorly bred) rescued from the streets of NY. Annie has been with us for four years, and has cost us many thousands of dollars in medical bills, now averaging $250. dollars a month in just meds.

Times have changed ... poor breeding in the past almost ruined the cocker spaniel breed.

Our shelters and rescues are over run with dogs, most -- on average 60-75% of dogs in shelters will be put to sleep... and most of these started life from backyard breeders and puppy mills.

If you are serious about breeding, why would you want to breed with less than the best?

I think you'll find that people here support responsible breeding (best dogs that are health tested, and both parents being at least two years of age before being tested and bred), and frown (putting it mildly) on BYBs and puppy mills.

I understand where your coming from.The pups are CKC, not as highly recognized as AKC,but not poorly bred either.I didnt mean when I said the price is amazing,that I was gonna jump at the chance at a fairly cheap dog,just to breed to make a buck.I'm not that type of person.We bred years ago,had a legitimate business and were forced to downsize because of neighbors.We bred with champion lined dogs.I never shown but always wanted to.I really do want the best for the cocker spaniel breed.I hope my future pups will be prooof of that.

Back