What do you feed your cocker(s)?

manuel

Administrator
Staff member
Owned by
1 cocker
We may have previously mentioned it. What do you feed your cocker(s)? Is it store bought or a special recipe? I know some of you cook for your cockers like Polly. Why do you use this particular brand or recipe?

Gabby has been using Royal Canin Hypoallergenic (prescription) for the past 5 or so years due to irritable bowel symptoms. Gabby was raised on Pro Plan and did well until later in life. We would also give him chicken or beef occasionally--now he has diarrhea if eats those.

I have fed DeeDee "Purina ONE" for the past year or so. She seems to do well on it except for staining around her mouth...those rust-colored stains.:)

Well Tabby was weened on eukanuba puppy.
So that is what I have stayed on. She seems to be doing well.
would like to hear what others feed as well an as to why.
later

I try to stay away from anything that has lots of grains in it. I feed Lacey Natural Balance Duck and Potato for her irritable bowel disease and she does well on it. The other 3 get either that or Merricks senior medley.

I switched to gluten free food over a year ago for my big dog,now the new cocker is loving this food also. VF brand turkey & rice. I figured out gluten was causing skin problems,itching,etc.

I've known humans with IBS or even Chrohn's disease that had vast relief going on a gluten free diet. Both dogs have normal bowel movements.

I buy this food at a local feed supply store. I've also bought Wellness core in the past,the VF is somewhat cheaper.

Like Manuel said, we homecook. I follow the recipe that Linny has on her website for puppy stew. All of mine love it, and do very well on it.

http://www.cockersinneed.com/puppystew.html

I also feed raw carrots, apples, and good quality treats. I like the freeze dried lamb, or chicken treats that we sell at the shop.

Mine also like popcorn and anything that we put in our mouths LOL.

I have Annie on Purina ONE for Seniors and Daffeny is on Royal Canin for Cocker Spaniels. Daffney grew up as well with Purina until this year - I have had lots of issues with her skin.

Mine are like Polly's. Mine get the homecooked Chicken stew and snick-snack on baby carrots, apples, whatever I can get fresh. Regular food is Nutro-Natural lamb and rice small bites. I fill their Kongs with diced apples, carrots, whatever treat I have on hand, chicken livers, p-butter or spray cheese. They are NOT spoiled! :naughty:

Hehe Sharon!
I have 4 kongs in the freezer now, they have tiny bits of summer sausage and extra sharp cheddar cheese in them with peanut butter. Mine are not spoiled either!:p

My puppy Hershey and prego (I think she is anyways) bitch are on Eukanuba puppy and my adults are on Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice. I tried other foods, but wither there wasn't enough oil and caused matting in the coats more than normal or caused too much poopy. Ahappy with what they're on now, but am seriously htinking of supplementing with the yummy sounding puppy stew! My dogs would think they were in heaven! ;)

Mine are on California Natural Chicken Meal and Rice. For a number of years they were on Nutro and did well but I wanted to find something with fewer ingredients so see if Dyaln had fewer ear infections. It does appear to have helped.

Mine are on California Natural Chicken Meal and Rice. For a number of years they were on Nutro and did well but I wanted to find something with fewer ingredients so see if Dyaln had fewer ear infections. It does appear to have helped.

I'm glad Dylan is doing better. I'll tell my mother-in-law about it. Her poor cocker Maggie suffers from frequent ear infections.

When Cassie was alive I fed homemade, using a variation of Lin's recipe, mainly because Cassie was such a finicky eater. I made the switch back to kibble last year because I started having problems controlling Bertie's weight. Both girls eat Flint River. Right now they're eating the trout and sweet potato. Snacks are homemade doggie cookies, raw carrots, apples and yogurt mixed with mashed bananas and frozen.

My puppy Hershey and prego (I think she is anyways) bitch are on Eukanuba puppy and my adults are on Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice. I tried other foods, but wither there wasn't enough oil and caused matting in the coats more than normal or caused too much poopy. Ahappy with what they're on now, but am seriously htinking of supplementing with the yummy sounding puppy stew! My dogs would think they were in heaven! ;)

Is there a reason why you switch to or from Eukanuba? I have Coco on it, he seems to be pretty happy on it, doesn't eat as much then he does on other "store bought" ones. Just wondering...

Pro Plan is cheaper and I'm just as happy with it for the adult dogs as the Euk. I like to give the pups an excellent start in life. I usually have a bigger number of adults due to showdogs and fosters compared to pups and like I said, I am just as happy with the Pro Plan. I've not tried the puppy formula of Pro Plan, but I'm sure it's just as good.

Our girls get the Duck and Potato kibble with about a tablespoon of Evanger's chicken canned food. They have not had skin issues or ear problems. Well that was until my vet talked me into putting Maggie on SD WD. She developed flaky skin and her ear got really red and had brown waxy build up. I switched her back immediately.

Linny and I both feel she has a thyroid issue. My vet feels differently. I am still searching for another vet. Good vets are very hard to find.

They both love baby carrots as snacks. We have the Duck and Potato little biscuits. Sometimes I will buy some chicken breasts or chicken dogs and cook them up for the girls as treats.

Jo

Hannah has been on Pro Plan Weight Management(1c. a day) for quite some time now. Just Pro Plan before. But I do home cook to for her.
Ground Beef (the good stuff) and I half to get it at the meat market as the fat content bothers her from other stores. I boil it and chopped green beans and cooked carrots and add a little brown rice. THan we freeze enough in little butter dishes for about 3-4 weeks at a time. She gets about 1/2 -3/4 of a cup at supper time also.

The Pro Plan is in her bowl to munch on thru out the day.

Than (small) Milk bones usually for treats.
Dad is a last bite person also :naughty:
Anita

Back