What do you feed your cocker(s)?

I feed Taste of the Wild Prarie Canine and a home cooked stew modified from Linda's recipe (with help from the acupuncturist vet 'Flake has been seeing) All of my guys love it and Snowflake has dropped about 15 lbs since I pulled her off of Science K-D I add their suppliments and such into the stew after it cools and give them carrots and raw chicken wings to snack on

We are currently feeding Orijens and though it is a little, pricey all three of the girls seem to do well on it and Zoe's actually put a little weight on with it (doing the happy dance she is at around 16 lbs sometimes even stretching toward 17 if she is weighted right after she eats). Prior to that we feed NRG, a dehydrated food out of Canada, that we loved. Wellness Core also looks good and would be one that I would consider.

I try to make sure that their treats are also corn, soy and wheat free. They also get veggies and apples for snacks.

Welcome Sharon!

Sharon! You finally made it. How is snowflake doing? Please follow Manuel's link and introduce yourself! You will love it here.. It's the best! AOL's have moved here and MSN's My Cocker Spaniel are here. Lots of old and new friends!^_^

Bubby gets a mix of Nutros Senior and Lite formulas with a variation of Linny's puppy stew, made with venison and fresh veggies from the garden when I can and Cheerios for a treat. He also loves carrots and Clementines (as well as anything I might be eating:) ) Peggy & Bubby

Got so confused today looking @ dog food labels I finally gave up. I just read the puppy stew recipe & something caught my eye. Said @ bottom to provide vitamins also,Centrum was mentioned (1/4 of one). I just want to point out that Centrum has aspartame in it!

Think I'll just stick to the VF brand of food for now & hope for the best.It was difficult to find a dog food without chicken fat in it.

Hehe Robin made puppy stew! Her crew thought they were in heaven!!!^_^

My crew get puppy vits and joint suppliments. I use my vitamins as treats. They each get one after their morning groomies.. of course they have to sit first! ;)

Hi, I was reading about the puppy stew and thinking of trying this. How much would you feed of this stew a day/divided. I would like to feed it to my lab also. Both are overweight. Teddy (the cocker) is 29 lbs and I'm not sure how much he should weigh--guessing maybe 22-24? Chuck, my lab is 89 lbs and probably should weigh about 73. Thank you!

Hi, I was reading about the puppy stew and thinking of trying this. How much would you feed of this stew a day/divided. I would like to feed it to my lab also. Both are overweight. Teddy (the cocker) is 29 lbs and I'm not sure how much he should weigh--guessing maybe 22-24? Chuck, my lab is 89 lbs and probably should weigh about 73. Thank you!
Lori, I no longer use puppy stew as a topper over kibble. I may have when this thread was started so long ago. I now make my puppy stew with more water and more oatmeal, making a denser feed. I feed my boys each 2 cups a day.

I've only been giving Teddy about 1/2 to 3/4 per day of kibble. That's what his foster mom told me to give him to lose weight. She is a longtime cocker owner/breeder. It looks like so little in the bowl! He loves food just as much as my lab, Chuck! I also give him baby carrots, pieces of banana or apple occasionally, string cheese now and then, PB rarely. I love treating my dogs, and it shows, so I have gotten rid of all store dog treats and hope that helps! I think it is harder on me than them :)

I have fed straight Kibble for years and tried many brands but after being here and liking the idea of cooking for my boy and the Polly's puppy stew I decided to try it. Have been cooking for Levi for 4 weeks now and he LOVES it. I still do 1/2 kibble and add 1/2 cooked (Canidae all Element grain free) I am thinking of switching to Fromm's beef 4 star food (both the Canidae and Fromms test each batch before selling and that is important to me with all the recent recalls) as I have notice the weeks I cook Levi beef his stools are better and not soft like the weeks I add ground chicken. I like to keep my kibble at a lower protein around 30% or lower because any Cocker I have had on high protein food has had loose stools. Not sure if anyone has had his problem but it has been very consistent for me any time I have tried them...I feel it is too rich for them.
I use a 90% lean ground beef, add in 1 cup cooked wheat pasta,brown rice or oatmeal,diced tomatoes,1 bag frozen cal,bro and carrots, kidney beans and blueberries (for cancer fighting agents) and 1 spoon of natural greek yogurt for probiotics. Sometimes I add a spoon of pumpkin or sweet potatoes on top and green beans or spinach. I also soak his kibble in warm water per my Vet's advice as the dense foods are harder to digest. She told me to test and watch as she has seen some run complete runs in peoples pockets through the washer and never break down...so I now soak for about 15 mins to help with digesting and to give extra moisture in his food...then add warm cooked food on top.
I am very happy with the results,I enjoy doing it and it is a great pleasure to watch how hearty Levi eats with the home cooking. I am still learning about it and researching and may go total home-cooking once he is grown.

View attachment 7920

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that I do frozen blueberries with a little plain yougert as a treat or on top of their food. I also do baby carrots as treats.

My pup Chex, gets Royal Canin mini puppy and my older boy Tanz, gets half Royal Canin cocker formula and half Royal Canin Vet formula weight control mixed with pumpkin as he needs to loose weight. Both get their food split up and are fed twice a day.

I feed my 2 year old english cocker:
He is at a healthy weight of 13.7kg

Main meal: x2 (twice a day)
1/2 cup Canidae Grain Free Dry Kibble with steamed vegetables (spinach and parsley)
125g preservative-free extra lean beef mince
1 table spoon of pumpkin
1 teaspoon of fish oil
1 egg

I mix a teaspoon of chia seeds in water to create a jelly like consistency and add to his food or drinking water.
Chia seeds are virtually tasteless and dogs dont usually mind. I find that i reduces my cocker's smell significantly.
(I bathe him once every 3 weeks, he enjoys running around and rolling on the ground :lol:)
and when I'm feeling abit richer, i'll get a some salmon in his diet. :lol:

How I trick him into drinking water:
I buy chicken bones from the butcher and put it in the crock pot and simmer for the day, and he has chicken "soup".
Freeze a few kibbles in the ice cube tray, and he has a blast trying to lick it up. :)
Also, watermelon cubes are great in summer.

Snacks:
Frozen organic smooth peanut butter in kong
Biljac dog treats (he will kill for them :))
Apple, pears, carrots and celery.
Greenies
1 teaspoon of Yoghurt every other day
homemade baked dog biscuits

thats about it...

Back