Hi all

morbeeeus

Hello to all.

My wife and I recently had to put our 10 year old cocker to sleep due to cancer.

For some reason the loss of this pet has hit me hard. The house is empty without him.

I am debating on getting another dog. I really don't want a replacement dog, I want my dog back.

This, of course, is impossible.

I have concerns if I get another dog all I will do is compare him to the one that is lost.

Should I wait a few months, years, or ?

mike

I am very sorry for your loss. Everyone is very different when it comes to getting a new pet after the passing of a beloved one. Some people get a new one immediately, some wait a little while, and some wait a long time. Timing just depends on what you feel.

I have dearly loved all of my dogs and I have found that no one dog replaces another. Each finds its own special place in my heart. Right now I have two dogs. Dylan we got as a puppy after our 10 year old cocker died. Riley is a rescue. They are very different dogs and I love them both dearly. I have loved all the dogs in my life and each one wiggles its way into their very own spot in my heart.

Very best of luck to you. A new dog is always an adjustment but I think they are always worth it.

Mike,

Condolences to you and your wife over the loss of you cocker. It is never easy to say good bye to a loved one.

The length of time for each of us varies. When you meet the right dog your heart will tell you the time is right. Sometimes that new pup is right around the corner and sometimes it takes a while for you to find it. If you find a new puppy it will not replace your beloved, those memories and love belong to him, but it will help heal your heart.

When we lost our two cockers 9 months apart from each other, I was sure that we would get another dog but was just as sure that we would look for another breed because I too was worried about comparing a new puppy to the other two who had left such a huge hole in my heart. I wondered would it be fair to the new comer? So we began to look at other breeds, I love most dogs and had had other breeds in the past so....we looked at goldens, danes, shepards and while they were dear and lovely there was no connection and it was easy to hand them back to their owners. I keep looking but at the end of the day I would find myself looking at websites for cockers.

When we went to "just look" at a breeder south of us I held Hannah and just knew she was my girl, she made my heart happy. She came home with us and 5 weeks later Maggie joined our family...a year later Zoe' came home with us. Each of our girls has a very differant personality from not only each other but from our original two.

Mike
Welcome, I'm Polly and live with my hubby another Mike in So CA with our 4 cockers. I feel your pain. In 2008 right around this time, we lost 3 within a month of each other. We were devastated to say the least. We waited 6 months, and we were not going to add to our furry family, but our dear friend Robin had a match made in heaven for us. Your wife mentioned that you would like perhaps an older rescue. That is wonderful. Dot and Sharon work very closely with Florida cocker rescues, not sure if you are close or not.. but maybe they can give you some pointers. You and your wife will take the time you need to grieve, and, then decide when the time is right for you. We have several rescue groups that are active right here on MCS, and several wonderful show breeders here also. So I'm sure all your questions will be answered when it's time for you.

Welcome Mike. I read your wife's post too. There will never be another Lancelot. Like Karen said, each dog finds it own special place in your heart. My cocker Gabby past away last fall. I know my new cocker Hoshi will never replace him but he's just as loved.

Welcome! I am Dot and am owned by Ellie my 3 year old Cocker and Otto my 2 year old Vizsla and as Polly mentioned I work with rescue as does Sharon. Sharon may have more pointers for you as she has been doing it a bit longer than me but I would love to help you in any way I can.

Sorry for your loss. I think the hardest thing about having our furry friends is letting them go and losing one to cancer is heartbreaking. As everyone has said - we are all different in the amount of time we need before bringing another one into our heart and home. You will find the right one, of that I am positive - just can't tell you when though. :)

I'm not sure where you are in NE Florida but there are a couple of adoption events coming up in the Tampa area. One this Sunday at the USF Sun Dome and one in April at the Fairgrounds. Here is a link you can check for special events http://www.humanesocietytampa.org/special-events-calendar/#2-2010

I wish you both the best.

I Googled NE Florida rescues and came up with this. Don't know if you have heard of any of these or not but it might be a starting point when you feel like looking.
http://www.jaxanimals.com/rescues.shtml

Last edited:
Welcome Mike. I read your wife's post too. There will never be another Lancelot. Like Karen said, each dog finds it own special place in your heart. My cocker Gabby past away last fall. I know my new cocker Hoshi will never replace him but he's just as loved.

Did I somehow miss a post? I don't recall the one by his wife.

Thanks so much to everyone for the kind words! You don't know how much it means to us both. *hug* *hug*

Karen. I am Mike's wife. I posted a couple of pictures of our Lancelot in my intro thread here: http://mycockerspaniel.com/forum/showthread.php?2614-Hi I probably should have just posted them in this thread, but wasn't sure when I posted.

Dot, Thank you so much for the info on the Tampa Bay Pet-A-Paloosa! We saw a number of rescue cocker spaniels listed in the Tampa area we were interested in; however, there doesn't seem to be a way to go and interact with them. One rescue site even said put in an app, we'll look at it after two weeks, and do not come for a walk-in until we've approved your app. It was a bit off-putting. Mike would really like to see the dogs and have a chance to interact with them before putting in an app. We are hundreds of miles from Tampa, and I would hate to drive all the were just to be turned away without even being given a chance to see the dogs. The Pet-A-Paloosa sounds exactly like what we are looking for. I tried calling to see if the Florida Cocker Spaniel Rescue from Land-o-Lakes would be bringing their Cocker Spaniels, but was unable to reach anyone by phone directly. Do you happen to know if they will be there?

Jacqueline

The loss of a loved one is hard for anyone. My worst was when I lost Maxwell December 2007. Safe to say he was my heart dog - that one little soul who just leaves footprints all over your heart forever. When I knew I was losing him I researched all sortsa breeds and even considering not getting another pooch at all. My house was soooo empty and my arms wanted another so in 2008 I added FIVE rescues! :) OK - maybe a bit much but I was soooo happy to have someone to come home to again. I'm best when I have at least three actually and the Cocker Spaniel is really the only breed I'm interested in. Check your local Humane Society but there's rarely Cockers in there. But there's a Bark in the Park thing going on next weekend which I believe is nationwide and put on by HSUS. Rescue people will be there - not as well represented as some other events but there's free samples, coupons, info-booths, etc. It's really a good time and it's free unless you choose to donate. I'll be at the one in Tampa with a pocket-full of business cards for Cocker Rescue! Check us out at http://www.floridacocker.org/

Thanks so much to everyone for the kind words! You don't know how much it means to us both. *hug* *hug*

Karen. I am Mike's wife. I posted a couple of pictures of our Lancelot in my intro thread here: http://mycockerspaniel.com/forum/showthread.php?2614-Hi I probably should have just posted them in this thread, but wasn't sure when I posted.

Dot, Thank you so much for the info on the Tampa Bay Pet-A-Paloosa! We saw a number of rescue cocker spaniels listed in the Tampa area we were interested in; however, there doesn't seem to be a way to go and interact with them. One rescue site even said put in an app, we'll look at it after two weeks, and do not come for a walk-in until we've approved your app. It was a bit off-putting. Mike would really like to see the dogs and have a chance to interact with them before putting in an app. We are hundreds of miles from Tampa, and I would hate to drive all the were just to be turned away without even being given a chance to see the dogs. The Pet-A-Paloosa sounds exactly like what we are looking for. I tried calling to see if the Florida Cocker Spaniel Rescue from Land-o-Lakes would be bringing their Cocker Spaniels, but was unable to reach anyone by phone directly. Do you happen to know if they will be there?

Jacqueline

Bump: Jacqueline's post was being moderated. I don't want you to miss it.

Yes, Florida Cocker Spaniel Rescue is planning on being there. I will be there with them as will Sharon. Please ask for us - we would love to meet you.

There is a reason for the application and waiting period. I would love to explain it to you in person as it makes for a rather long post.

Hope to see you Sunday and I'm glad the info I provided was helpful.

Thanks to all for your comments. Jackye and I are planning on going to Tampa Sunday to see if there is a compatible rescue available.

Am I understanding correctly if we do find a pet we would not be able to adopt it and take it home that day?

mike

Thanks to all for your comments. Jackye and I are planning on going to Tampa Sunday to see if there is a compatible rescue available.

Am I understanding correctly if we do find a pet we would not be able to adopt it and take it home that day?

mike

Bump: Post was moderated so you couldn't see. Please read.

Something weird is going on. I have tried twice to reply and I get the forum in a new window when I hit reply. Will try again.

Depends on the rescue - you may or may not be able to bring your pet home with you.

I would suggest that you bring the following:

Enough cash for an adoption fee (between 150 - 350)
A lead
Whatever you need for your vehicle to transport
Since you live rather far away you might want to bring a plastic bowl with a lid for water

Be sure to dress in layers as it can get cold in the Dome.

I look forward to meeting you both!

So sad to hear about your beloved furry friend.I had a similar situation in which I owned a mother and daughter.The daughter was hit by a train,and her mother passed some years later.I never thought I would get another cocker spaniel as it was very painful for me to lose them.I adopted my Golden/Sheperd mix and though I love her with all my heart,there was just something about cockers that had a special place in my heart.I now am owned by my 5month old girl Misty,and am awaiting the arrival of our newest family member Franky.Good luck on your adventure to the rescue,and hope you can find a companion that will help ease your pains.

Thought I would tag this to your thread in hopes you see it.

You need to email Florida Cocker Spaniel Rescue if you are still interested in Riley. I spoke with Carol after you left. Sorry I didn't get a chance to sit with you all while to spoke with Carol but it was rather busy. I'm not saying you will get him but I think she wants to talk to you again. She didn't know that you had traveled specifically to see the cockers. I think you made a good impression on her.

It was very nice meeting you both today. I hope you enjoyed yourselves - this event was a lot smaller than the one coming up in April at the fairgrounds. If you are up for another drive you may want to check it out.

Hi, Dot. Thank you. It was nice meeting both you and Sharon today. It's great to put faces with names. :)

We are interested in adopting Riley and would have loved to have taken him home today. We will make the leap of faith again for him and I will send the email. Hopefully it will work out.

Jacqueline

Thought I would tag this to your thread in hopes you see it.

You need to email Florida Cocker Spaniel Rescue if you are still interested in Riley. I spoke with Carol after you left. Sorry I didn't get a chance to sit with you all while to spoke with Carol but it was rather busy. I'm not saying you will get him but I think she wants to talk to you again. She didn't know that you had traveled specifically to see the cockers. I think you made a good impression on her.

It was very nice meeting you both today. I hope you enjoyed yourselves - this event was a lot smaller than the one coming up in April at the fairgrounds. If you are up for another drive you may want to check it out.

Back