Mast Cell Tumor

SmootchiePooch

About a year ago my American Cocker, Smootchie, had a skin infection. I took her to the dermatologist who took skin scraps and lab work. We began a course of antibiotics and special shampoos without success. I went back and tried another antibiotics and started her on a topical spray which seemed to do the trick, but the infection was never really 100% gone. We continued to treat her topically until recently which sent me back to the dermatologist. I went to another dermatologist since we didn't have much success with the first. It turns out Smootchie has Hypothyroidism. Consequently she was placed on antibiotics and Soloxine. While at the dermatologist, I asked her to take a look at a bump on her right outer thigh. Under the microscope it was negative for fatty tissue and pus. An aspiration biopsy was completed and came back as a MAST CELL TUMOR. (DUN DUN DUN!)

Smootchie was placed on pepcid, prednisone, and benadryl. Surgery was last tuesday 1/28/2012. They did a complete resection of the tumor with wide margins and actually had to take a slice of her thigh muscle to obtain the deep margin. The removal of the muscle has had no effect on her movement at all. I'm waiting to hear from the doctor with the results of the tumor biopsy. I'm scared and anxious and wanted to find out if anyone else has been through this scary journey. Also, Smootchie has been very anxious since surgery. I expected the anxiety for the first couple of days but this is post operation day 5. Thanks for all the comments and support. I guess I need someone to talk to about this.

I hope Smoothie recovers well and quickly. Did the vet place Smoochie on Synthroid to help correct her thyroid levels? That would be very important.

Prednisone and Benadryl seems a little old school, did they try vanectyl-p (sorry the spelling might be off)? Its usually not as hard on the tummy and will do the same but faster with less side effects, prednisone can cause anxiety and loss of sleep as well as changes in appetite which isn't good after surgery. I'm also curious if they've put her on something to correct the thyroid issue. How is she healing?

If she is on pain meds for the surgery? When Hannah had her back surgery the first pain med they gave her was not right for her and caused her to be anxious. An adjustment of meds might be in order.

Now, not to sound contratictory BUT if she is not on pain meds maybe she should be. Pain can cause a dog to pant and act stressed.

Maybe a call to your vet is in order.

Hope Smootchie recovers quickly. I agree, anxiety can be a sign of pain. Hope everything goes well.

When I consulted with the dermatologist for the skin infection she took a blood panel for her thyroid which came back positive for hypothryoid. I started Smootchie on Soloxine (doggie thyroxine) right away. At the consultation, the surgeon placed Smootch on Benadryl, Prednisone, and Pepcid but these were all stopped the morning of surgery. Surgery involved taking large margins in all directions. In order to get large deep margins, the doc had to take a portion of her muscle but told me it wouldn't cause any change in movement (and it hasn't). Although a bit tight, her skin was lifted and displaced over to cover the large area where the tumor was removed. Post-op smootch was put on Tramadol (Doggie Vicodin) which didn't seem to cause either anxiety or sedation but when I called the surgeon to express my concerns about her ongoing anxiety she had me stop the Tramadol and start Metacam (Doggie Ibuprofen).

Last night her stitches opened up so we took her back in to the ER. The ER didn't offer much because they really wanted the surgeon to be the one to determine the best options for closing. So I went home and covered the wound with a dressing and returned to the vet this morning. The biopsy results are back...

1.) The tumor itself is a low grade tumor... good
2.) The lymph node they removed was riddled with cancer.... bad
3.) The side margins were clean... good
4.) The deep margins were dirty... bad

I left her at the vet so they can do an ultrasound guided biopsy of her liver, spleen and nearby lymph nodes to find out if this had spread and how aggressive I should be with treatment efforts. I should find out new results tomorrow. I'll pick her up later this afternoon and take her back in the morning. The doctor is going to talk to the pathologist and review the new biopsys then determine if we should go back and take more muscle or simply close her up and consider other options like radiation and chemotherapy.

I'm devistated. Smootch has no clue and, besides her anxiety, she's a happy little girl. Thank you all again for your support, it means so very much.

Oh wow! I would be devastated as well. Sending lots of well wishes for Smootchie, glad she is on something for pain. Will keep her in my prayers.

I'm so sorry. Like Karen says I hope that they can stem it's spread and treat with chemo etc.

Wow! I hope all goes ok, I've delt with both thouse pain killers and IMO Metacam is way better, less chances for addition and it causes less damage to the liver and kidneys plus it also causes less anxiety. Tramadol is not a fun drug its usually paired with tylonol in humans and has some nasty side effects. My fingers are crossed for you and smootchie, I hope all goes ok for her.

I'm devistated. Smootch has no clue and, besides her anxiety, she's a happy little girl. Thank you all again for your support, it means so very much.

I am so sorry, hope that you get some answers soon and that a course of treatment that works right for her is forthcoming. Prayers for all of you.

It was Tramadol that caused Hannah's problems. Not only did it make her nervous but rather grumpy and snappy which was totally out of character for her too.

You and Smootch are in our prayers! I went through this with my Skye (Siberian Husky) when we found she had cancer of her spleen. For us, by the time we found it there wasn't much hope as she was too week for surgery so we made her comfortable -- Tramadol was used for her as well with Pred. My heart goes out to you! The good news seems to be there are still options and I only hope you and your doctors are able to find the best course of action. Hugs to you!!! And soft kisses to your girl!

I am so sorry, hope that you get some answers soon and that a course of treatment that works right for her is forthcoming. Prayers for all of you.

It was Tramadol that caused Hannah's problems. Not only did it make her nervous but rather grumpy and snappy which was totally out of character for her too.

Riley did NOT do well with Tramadol either! It causes him great anxiety and he couldn't sleep at night.

Any new updates? I'm not much of a prayer type so all paws and fingers are crossed in my house for you and I hope all goes well. xxxx

How is Smootch doing? And you; how are you holding up?

Sorry the tramadol disagrees with so many dogs; it worked so well for Nicholas back in the day.

So the biopsys for her next lymph node, spleen and liver were all negative... yeah!

On Tuesday, the doc decided to put smootch back in surgery. Since her stitches opened up the first time she wanted to make another incsion to ease the tension and she also wanted to make a second attempt at getting the remaining tumor. Smootchie got to come home the same night and the doc gave me some much needed anti-anxiety meds. I'll find out if the second attempt at clean margins was successful sometime next week. The doctor did mention that we will have to consult with the oncologist and probably have to do Chemotherapy since the lymph node removed in the first surgery was riddled with cancer.

Does anyone have any experience with Chemo? I heard it's not as difficult on dogs as it is on humans. I'm not consulting with the oncologist for a little while and was wondering how much chemo usually costs.

As for me - I cry bits at a time and a couple times a day. I work 12 hours x 3 days a week so I'm fortunate to have my days off with her but I had to go to work today and I'm filled with anxiety for the simple fact that I can't sit there, cuddle and stare at her doing nothing. Smootchie is at home with my BF (Daddy) who loves her to bits and takes such good care of her. It's so helpful to be able to speak to a population of people who understand these dogs and how wonderful and loving they are.

As always ... THANK YOU!

Last edited:
Good news on the biopsies results.

As for the chemo, I have never had to do it for any of my dogs, past or present(knock on wood) but I have a friend who did have Chemo on her golden for bone cancer, following an amputatation of the right front leg. She was amazed how well Katie did on the Chemo. The day of she was a little little down and punky but seemed to bounce back with in 48 hours.

Best of luck with for all of you.

Good news on the biopsies results.

As for the chemo, I have never had to do it for any of my dogs, past or present(knock on wood) but I have a friend who did have Chemo on her golden for bone cancer, following an amputatation of the right front leg. She was amazed how well Katie did on the Chemo. The day of she was a little little down and punky but seemed to bounce back with in 48 hours.

Best of luck with for all of you.
I had heard that also DJ.. that dogs do better with it than most humans do.

Back