new here. . . .

Welcome Tanz and Stephanie. You will love having 2 cockers together. They are so much company for each other. I always had 2 or 3 together. Fenway was an only dog for a few years until I got Amelia, they are great together. Now I have 6 month old Classy for socialization and training. 3 cockers are lots of fun. They are funny to watch.

Tanz has lived with other dogs in the house before but its always been clear who they belonged to (my ex-fiancee or old room mate) and he's very much a mama's boy, I'm a little worried he may think I'm trying to replace him. Any ideas on how I can help bring the new one in as smooth as possible? I know there will be some friction but I'd like to make it easier for him.

Make sure to introduce them in a neutral place. Like a park, open field, etc. Somewhere where Tanz won't feel possessive of the house being "his". They might not hit it right off the bat, but with time they will adjust to each other. That was how it was when I introduced my two cockers to their sister from their momma's second litter. After about 30 minutes they were all best of friends

Hi Stephanie, Fenway was an only dog for a few years and is not extremely great with other dogs. Before I brought Amelia home, I would go see her and hold her so my shirt was full of her scent. I put the shirt on his bed so he would smell it. Of course when I brought her home, he barked and barked. I sought the help of a trainer. I used the clicker. I have a large pen for Amelia because puppies don't run around unattended in the house. I would walk him around far from the pen at first but where he could see her. When ever he looked at her and did not barked I clicked and he got a treat. So he associated Amelia with good treats and praise. Gradually he got closer and closer. Them we progressed to walking Amelia on a leash and him loose so he could get away if he wanted. Amelia is very energetic oh yes and an alpha. Fenway I thought was an alpha but now not as sure. It took me working him every day. He accepted her,now if she is at a show he looks for her. He even sleeps by her crate at night. When I brought Classy home, I had no issue from Fenway. He accepted he right away. I am sure Tanz will accept Chex as well. You will have fun with the two of them. Good luck with your new fur baby.

So here's the newest pic of Tanz's new baby sister, the other day I got his puppy kennel out and I was wondering if he was going to try and put himself into it. Instead he dragged it over by his big kennel and gave me 'the look' as if to say I had put it in the wrong spot! lol
I think he's going to enjoy having a friend once everything settles down.

IMG_8009_edited-1.jpg

Back